Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Challah in the Egg

Options
Citizen Q
Citizen Q Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to try my hand at challah bread (a sweet, airy Jewish loaf similar to Portuguese sweet bread). If I can nail it, I'd like to bring some to a Passover Seder next month (pre-sundown festivities of course). So far my baking Eggsperience has been limited to pizza and calzone. Anybody have a good recipe and pointers for making this delicious bread in the Egg?[p]Thanks,
Sean

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    I would suggest niot bringing it for passover - passover is for only unlevend bread
  • MVC-024E.jpg
    <p />Citizen Q,[p]I make this bread quite often and usually just use one of the thousands of recipes that are on the web. Just google it! [p]Dave

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    See if you can get a copy of the Joy of Cooking. There's a good, easy to follow, recipe for challah in there. I've done it several times. They recommend dusting the "ropes" with rye flour before braiding them. That step does help the braids to be more distinct in the final product. [p]Old Dave, do you dust the "ropes" before braiding them? If so, what do you use?[p]Take care,
    Mike

• Super Glide
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Unless the hosts of the seder are really really reformed (the sect of judiasm that is), don't do it.[p]While it is very thoughtful, most jews clean their house of all bread and leavened products at least a day before the seder. In fact many, my house included donates all non-kosher for passover products to a local food pantry.[p]My in-laws take this VERY seriously. just bringing it in to the house could make them have to re-clean everything afterwards... even if it were sealed up.[p]Now, I was thinking about doing some Matzo on the egg, but my father in law won't even let that into his house. Matzah is made under loads of rabbinical supervision and timing. I guess I'm just not qualified to do it.