Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can now eat Brussel Sprouts, thanks to Dizzy Pig...

mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All my life I have hated Brussel Sprouts... they have never tasted good until now. If you have any DP Red Eye and some frozen brussel sprouts (I'm sure fresh would work too) you MUST try this. I nuked them for like 1 min, cut the big ones in half then throw them in my cast iron with some butter and a generous coating of DP Red Eye. Cook until done. OMG, they are heavenly.[p]Also, we were feeling daring last night.... Skirt Steaks with Cowlick on one side and Red Eye on the other side... Thrown on the Egg and grill till Medium. Fantastic.[p]-Jill

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    mojopin,[p]Wow a new DP Spice Rub in the planning.. "Redeye'd Cowlick" [p]I have always liked Brussel Sprouts and I haven to have a sample pack of Red Eye.. Guess I'll have to give this a whirl. I'll probably skip the nuke though :)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mojopin,
    drizzle some vinegar on them too, and a little butter.
    and don't overcook 'em![p]took me a while to come around on brussel sprouts too.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    mojopin,
    Try pan roasting halved (fresh) sprouts in a mixture of oil and butter. Just before serving sprinkle 'em with Red Eye (or any good rub) and rassle 'em around to dissolve the rub.[p]Sprouts good, kemo sabe.[p]Ken

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    BlueSmoke,
    That sounds good. I've always loved sprouts. I likem with a gallon of butter and salted til the look like mini mount Fujis.[p]I've always eyed those fresh sprouts and thought of trying to cookem. Gonna have to try this one out. [p]Thanks Ken![p]H

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    mojopin,[p]With fresh ones, try cutting the bottom and separating all of the leaves, pinching off any of the woodier areas on the outer leaves. Then saute or cook with your usual seasonings. They are a whole different flavor profile done this way.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    mojopin,[p]Not only do my 11 and 13 year old daughters love brussel sprouts, my oldest has gotten fresh grown BS's from her Topeka KS uncle as a November birthday present for the past five or six years.[p]We gave up steaming BS's several years ago when we discovered roasting them in a convection oven at 450 F. First you slice them in thirds, drizzle them with EVOO salt & pepper, spread them thin in a pyrex dish, and cook 10-15 minutes. Don't worry about the blackened tips - every one prefers the crunchy bits.[p]I haven't moved my BS cooking onto the Egg, but I need to try it (as well as the Red Eye idea).[p]Roudy
  • stike, or better yet, half them, apply EVOO liberally, butter, lots of rub, cook ten minutes, throw away the sprouts and eat the board!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    mojopin:[p]The basic Brussel sprout recipe is pan steam them whole (cut an "X" in the stem of larger ones) in a little water, olive oil, and just a tad of sugar. The exact amount of sugar will be judged by the quantity of sprouts being cooked and your taste buds. As previously mentioned, be careful not to over cook. Salt and pepper to your taste.[p]In addition to this basic recipe your favorite spices or rubs can be used in lieu of salt and pepper for a very vegetable side as you have found out. Just another way to trick kids (old and young) to eat their sprouts!