Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'No Way To Prevent This,' says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

Horrific.  We now have a growing fraternity of parents in this country, of people who have lost their children to a senseless school shooting.  We are the only modern country where something like this happens on a regular basis and we do nothing to stop it.  In fact, we're going in exactly the opposite direction in many states, making it easier for people to acquire firearms. 

It's insane.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    its an insane world we created.  we put an officer and cruiser in every school in town because of sandy hook.  now massachussetts is removing the officers because of floyds death, rascism, and the costs of the officers.  and what was accomplished.... nothing.  whats next, what will the new mantra bring.

the police union is strong in town, no way those officers lose those school jobs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    its an insane world we created.  we put an officer and cruiser in every school in town because of sandy hook.  now massachussetts is removing the officers because of floyds death, rascism, and the costs of the officers.  and what was accomplished.... nothing.  whats next, what will the new mantra bring.

the police union is strong in town, no way those officers lose those school jobs
    The entire idea to respond to this sort of thing by transforming schools into armed fortresses is nuts.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

This is a friend of mine who lives 5 houses up my block from me who took on some major corruption from the police who, for the most part, have been highly unresponsive in our neighborhood.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_b24b6f56-d91a-11ec-b0d7-571f59d96bbe.html
    There are folks actively seeking to prevent these tragedies.  A couple of them wrote a op-ed piece in the Washington Post after the recent shooting in Buffalo.  Their work is worth a look and gives some optimism, although they do not offer anything quick or easy.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    edited May 2022

The entire idea to respond to this sort of thing by transforming schools into armed fortresses is nuts.  

i work with several school districts.  some want the ability to lock down sections in the schools, gate and lock hallways in the middle of the buildings, blocking exits and entrances. what if the guy with the key gets shot first, what if theres a fire......yes its insane

i believe what happens when you put officers in schools is it creates a convenient location for coffee breaks.  theres always more than one cruiser in the school yards
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    dbCooper said:
    There are folks actively seeking to prevent these tragedies.  A couple of them wrote a op-ed piece in the Washington Post after the recent shooting in Buffalo.  Their work is worth a look and gives some optimism, although they do not offer anything quick or easy.

I'm all for this kind of initiative in general, but it seems to me that what's required here is far more pervasive.  There are many things we could do that, while they wouldn't prevent any and all mass shooting in the future, would nonetheless prevent some and generally save lives.  
  • fishlessman

This is a friend of mine who lives 5 houses up my block from me who took on some major corruption from the police who, for the most part, have been highly unresponsive in our neighborhood.

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_b24b6f56-d91a-11ec-b0d7-571f59d96bbe.html

a few years ago we had 5 captains making over 400k each for a forty hour week
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    I remember that, fish.  You live in crazytown

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina

• nolaegghead

(Since you opened that door)
    Bring back slavery and feudalism since we are going down the road to regression, amirite?

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    dmchicago said:

Repeating what I stole from interwebz...
    Gun with a country problem.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    The right to keep and bear arms is in the Bill of Rights.  The right to kill your unborn baby is not.
    Memphis, TN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    HighHeat said:
    The right to keep and bear arms is in the Bill of Rights.  The right to kill your unborn baby is not.
    I dunno. I think it falls under #4. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • nolaegghead
    Kill adults, not fetuses (fetus?)

pretty soon jerking the gherkin will be illegal baby killing’.  Good thing we’re moving forward like the Middle East, Africa and South America in terms of civilization 
    So other than posting random internet memes, what do we propose we do that would actually prevent these shootings? 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2022
    HighHeat said:
    The right to keep and bear arms is in the Bill of Rights.  
    No it’s not actually.  What’s there references a “well regulated militia”.  There’s nothing that speaks to an individual right, regardless of what Scalia tried to fudge.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    HighHeat said:
    The right to keep and bear arms is in the Bill of Rights.  
    No it’s not actually.  What’s there references a “well regulated militia”.  There’s nothing that speaks to an individual right, regardless of what Scalia tried to fudge.

But not even Scalia believed that everyone could have whatever weapon they want.
    The SCOTUS ruling coming in the next few weeks will be telling.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    So other than posting random internet memes, what do we propose we do that would actually prevent these shootings? 
    If the solution were easy it would have been done.  I'lm no lawyer here or into the nuances of some legalese but universal background checks for any sale (ie like car registration and sale) the new owner has to take documented ownership.  How about chipping newly manufactured fire arms and pairing the chip to a registration.
    Restoring the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.  
    What about a holding period between purchase and possession to enable big data to at least give the buyer a once over.  
    Given the general public is in favor of doing something, then the spineless politicians need to grow a pair and move off bottom dead center.  
    That's all I've got.  Perhaps more learned scholars will chime in.
    Off soap box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.