Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pulled pork on the Pit Barrel

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
On Saturday, Mrs. G told me I should cook a pork butt on the Pit Barrel on Sunday. Who am I to argue?

Threw it on about 9:45 in the morning. Cook took about 7 hours. We were eating around 5:30-6.  Came out really good and super easy.

Also made some home made pickles and pickled red onions following Kenji Alt Lopez recipes on Serious Eats. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Did you hang it, or use a rack?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Griffin
    Did you hang it, or use a rack?
    I used the grate. It was my first time cooking a pork butt on the PBC but everything I read or saw said that if you hang it, you have to pull it around 165, decide it you want to wrap or not and then put it on the grate. I figured it I was going to have to put it on the grate at some point, why not just do it for the whole cook?

Rowlett, Texas

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Looks awesome

LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lookin' good from over here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    What temp did u pull it at?
  • Griffin
    Mr1egg said:
    What temp did u pull it at?
    Final temp was around 200-203ish. 

Rowlett, Texas

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Got a buddy with one of those. He raves about the flavor you get from the barrel. Nice cook. 
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Any subtle differences you noticed compared to an egg cook? I think pit barrel cookers are neat. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2022
    All the guys that live under the bridge here in Clinton cook over them.  They must work really well!

I figured it was a club or something.  They used them all winter, too.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Langner91 said:
    All the guys that live under the bridge here in Clinton cook over them.  They must work really well!

I figured it was a club or something.  They used them all winter, too.
    I’ve heard shopping carts are excellent hibachi grills as well. 😜
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    nice looking vittles Jason!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Griffin
    Any subtle differences you noticed compared to an egg cook? I think pit barrel cookers are neat. 
    Cooks faster.

Always develops a smoke ring where sometimes you don't get one on an Egg. (I know smoke rings look cool, but don't effect flavor at all. Just aesthetic)

You don't have to fiddle with anything or adjust anything to maintain heat because there isn't anything to fiddle with. It just cooks at whatever temperature it cooks at but I'd say its more of a turbo cook. One of the best briskets I ever did was on a PBC and it only took 6 hours to finish. 

You get a bit of a different flavor from the fat dripping onto the coals that you don't get on an Egg with an indirect cook. When that fat hits the coals and then sizzles and sends smoke back up to the meat. 

Rowlett, Texas