Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon-Wrapped Onion Bombs

Options
Was poking around YouTube and had forgotten about these guys. I’ve seen ‘em called different things, but the technique is similar. Core a bunch of Vidalias, stuff ‘em with your favorite meatball recipe, wrap in bacon and smoke at 250 or so until the internal on a couple hit 155. Then paint with BBQ sauce and back in for a half hour to get tacky. Top with a slice of provolone for 15 more and you’re home. I used a pecan/cherry combo. Finish with a drizzle of sauce (not pictured).
Tim
Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
Aurora, IL

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I think I remember those from back in the day.  What did you think about how they turned out?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    I think I remember those from back in the day.  What did you think about how they turned out?  
    Thought they were great. If cooked to temp and not overdone, they can stand on their own, but another layer of sauce never hurts. A red sauce would be a good finish, but I’d skip the earlier BBQ sauce glaze.
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I wonder if they would be good stuffed with SGH’s appetizer mix . Maybe skip the bacon since it would make my doctor happy. It needs the bbq sauce and cheese though.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    What’s the total time on these?

looks amazing! 👏
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    What’s the total time on these?

looks amazing! 👏
    👍 Cook time was 2 1/2 hours and I maintained it right around 250 throughout. Prep time could be an hour or so, depending how many you make. Coring the onions is pretty simple, but a bit time-consuming and requires some concentration to keep a couple outer rings intact. They can easily be built in advance, though. 
    Tim
    Aurora, IL