Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Consensus best gasket option

Good morning all. This morning I got up early and put two butts on the egg to prep for the upcoming beach trip. A few hours later I noticed liquid dripping from the base and I traced it to a crack. Cook seems unaffected so far.  Warranty service doesn’t happen like this very often but I called my dealer and they happened to have a base and told me I could come pick it up. Wow! 

All that to say with this new base i am trying to decide on a gasket. What are the current opinions? Egg Gasket ? No gasket ? Rutland? A new product I haven’t heard off?
My current cracked base  has a rutland on it but I will say the seal hasn’t been the greatest. Maybe my fault for poor band adjustment . 
Thanks In advance for your input . 
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    @RRP He is the greatest gasket man
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 934
    The new base has no gasket? I bet it comes with a gasket on it.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Maybe it will. 🤷‍♂️ . My lid currently  has no gasket on it due to the rutland setup so regardless I’ll be making some sort of gasket adjustment .
    Upstate SC
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    @RRP He is the greatest gasket man
    Ron is the man for all your gasketing needs :)
    Rick in Tampa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Sorry you think the Rutland has failed you, but to date 7,597 other Rutlands I have sold over 20 years seem to have pleased the buyers! BTW if the planes of your dome and base were out of whack then neither the Rutland nor the OE will produce a great seal!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • etherdome
    I don’t think it has failed me necessarily. Like I said it could be my alignment. I am just checking on the current consensus to see if a better option has turned up. 
    I would say it is likely that I will do it again.  Rutland or no rutland I have always had chronic seal issues.  That being said I am always able to cook so it’s not a huge deal but boy would  I love to have a great seal on my egg for once. 
    Upstate SC
  • RRP
    Depending on the age of your BGE then if you have always had an issue there is a chance either your dome or base or both were not flat. I don't mean huge "waves" but even one dip or worst yet one raised part could be the fault.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I vote for Rutland.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • etherdome
    RRP said:
    Sorry you think the Rutland has failed you, but to date 7,597 other Rutlands I have sold over 20 years seem to have pleased the buyers! BTW if the planes of your dome and base were out of whack then neither the Rutland nor the OE will produce a great seal!
    Pm sent 
    Upstate SC
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    RRP said:
    LOL.  This thread could have so much potential back when this was a much friendlier place.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    RRP said:
    Do you count the near do well @WesJohnson from Indiana in your count?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    That scoundrel!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    If the new base comes with a gasket, I'd just use it until it fails.

Then, get a Rutland gasket from Ron, and apply it to the lid. The base fails more often than the lid. Unless you're careless. 

OT- are you an anesthesiologist?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP

I did as well as those I give away!
  • etherdome
    edited May 2022
    caliking said:

Then, get a Rutland gasket from Ron, and apply it to the lid. The base fails more often than the lid. Unless you're careless. 

OT- are you an anesthesiologist?y
    Thanks for your input.  I do give anesthesia for a living , however I am a CRNA.  Why do you ask? My handle give it away? 😂 
    Upstate SC
  • caliking
    etherdome said:
    caliking said:

OT- are you an anesthesiologist?y
    Thanks for your input.  I do give anesthesia for a living , however I am a CRNA.  Why do you ask? My handle give it away? 😂 
    It did, indeed :)

• RRP
    caliking said:,

I hear you, Doctor...but even if people do as I suggest and NEVER put their gasket on the dome...then at my cheap $11 price why fret that ltheir base will break and they will be out $11 plus a tube of Permatex?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2022
    RRP said:

I hear you, Doctor...but even if people do as I suggest and NEVER put their gasket on the dome...then at my cheap $11 price why fret that ltheir base will break and they will be out $11 plus a tube of Permatex?
    Because the hour plus of my time scraping old permatex off to apply a new gasket costs more than the money spent?

@op the rutland is def the best. It’s not perfect but it’s the best. I wish someone would weave an effectively seamless rutland custom sized for each egg.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP said:

Because the hour plus of my time scraping old permatex off to apply a new gasket costs more than the money spent?

@op the rutland is def the best. It’s not perfect but it’s the best. I wish someone would weave an effectively seamless rutland custom sized for each egg.
    If you would simply use the ”paint and rust remover” I recommend and even send a picture thereof you chuck that into a quarter inch drill and that strips off even the worst old gasket and Permatex in mere minutes, without ANY damage to the ceramic edge! 
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    RRP said:

Is it actually that cheap or is this an exaggeration? Seems insanely low for what is clearly a great product.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 934
    "I wish someone would weave an effectively seamless rutland custom sized for each egg"

I can work on it. I think I should start with something basic like socks for humans  though, because you need to weave a pair of them, so I can learn twice as fast as if I weaved a sock for something that only has one foot, like a sea clam or a random pirate. 

I don't know how long it will take me to move up to a seamless one for an egg though. I have to first get through all the humans, then the sea clams, and then the pirates.

The pirates are last because they're dying off and they all seem to be taking their single sock orders with them .. so if I wait long enough I don't need to worry about them.

The next to last are the sea clams. Hey, t's so damned hard to count sea clams because you cant just cut a slice across one, count the rings and extrapolate from there, because all the sand will dull the saw blade and make it hard to actually count all the rings,

The first in the list are humans because they are frigging everywhere, so you won't be looking in the deep woods for customers with more than one leg, (which is probably good unless you're selling environmentally appropriate toilets and something called a natural "weather telling stick") .. and per capita, the humans have the most feet per head of any mammal that can even understand the very concept of socks, at least according to the marketing weenies

After THAT I have to figure out weaving in a circle, so that means some kind of embroidery loop and the instructions for those take WEEKS to understand, and along the way you end up with all sorts of experiments in the shapes of ovals and various squiggle shapes .. that ultimately would suck if you don't happen to have an oval or squiggle shaped grill, which we can agree are rare, the squiggly ones especially. 

You know what .. I'm starting to think weaving might not be my thing after all.

Ybabpmuts 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    iudex said:
    RRP said:

Is it actually that cheap or is this an exaggeration? Seems insanely low for what is clearly a great product.

Ron provides a top shelf gasket at a bargain basement cost. He's not in it for profit. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    danhoo said:
    iudex said:
    RRP said:

Ron provides a top shelf gasket at a bargain basement cost. He's not in it for profit. 

I knew this, but had no idea what 'at cost' would be.
    Time for a PM, I think :D
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Best gaskets, ranked:

1. Rutland
    2. Rutland 
    3. Rutland 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Ron!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• etherdome
    Thanks for your input. Rutland is on the way. 
    Upstate SC
  • caliking
    iudex said:
    RRP said:

Yes, it is actually that cheap. Follow the (detailed) instructions that @RRP sends out with it, and you're good to go.

I'm a lazy arse. So, installing on the lid, and not having to spend time installing another one after the base breaks, is well worth it to me. 

Credit: Got this idea from @Eggcelsior way back when. 

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Is that someone that is almost a ne'er-do-well ?   :)
    Raleigh, NC
  • RRP
    caliking said:

I'm a lazy arse. So, installing on the lid, and not having to spend time installing another one after the base breaks, is well worth it to me. 

Credit: Got this idea from @Eggcelsior way back when. 
    Due to this undeniable force called gravity then it is difficult, if not impossible, to install a Rutland on the dome without first removing the dome from the bands! That permits easy application with the assistance of said gravity. Some people have difficulty re-adjusting their bands and getting proper alignment...but hey...once purchased it's your gasket so do it however you want!
  • theyolksonyou
    I’m still holding out hope for this thread.