Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Brawl

y’all see this on Food Network?   Hmmmm  is this what the majority of the US thinks of bbq?
LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    On PVR.
    canuckland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Not an Egg in sight.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 682
    They sent someone home for not having a good dessert. 

I was done with it at that point.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    It’s Bobby Flay, did y’all actually expect anything better than that? 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    edited May 2022
    Never heard of it till now, had to look it up on EweTube .....when I heard this Carson Kressley (whoever that is) shout  "sausages down" 

gross dumb and dumber GIF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It’s as if none of you have ever watched cooking shows on that channel before.  I caught an episode, looks like it was the first one from this season and it was as expected.  Entertainment, get a few ideas, etc.  It’s not Aaron Franklin giving away his deepest secrets and everyone using BGEs.  Maybe they should call it Outdoor Team Chopped with Grills.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    I’ll wait for the Steven Seagal bbq show.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    @legume I agree, I guess my question was more to ask the masses:    Is this type show what the US expects from BBQ?    

I saw it coming, I'm sure most of us did.    Was more to open the conversation to what Americans BBQ expectations are as opposed to what we, the bbq'ers, actually do.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    American BBQ’ers are Kingsford MatchLight and Weber gassers on full blast. Dogs and burgers for most of them. It just is what it is. So many think a BGE/KJ/whatever are just expensive grills. They don’t care about the multitude of things you can do on one. 

And yes, Chopped BBQ edition is about what ya got here
  • Legume
    I would say the number of states and cities in the US where you can’t find a bbq restaurant is dwindling quickly.  The rise in Kamado, offset and pellet grill sales has been nuts.  I don’t think the backyard grilling of burgers and dogs is the majority any longer.  I think most Americans know what is meant here by BBQ.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    The only episode I've watched, one guy really wanted to do a beef brisket, but the amount of time was only a couple hours (can't remember) so he cooked it at 500˚.  
    Tough as shoe leather, but it was cooked, so I learned something.  And I laughed.    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    the sad thing is that Bobby Flay has a green egg and says that it is the most versatile grill/cooker of all. Michael Simone also has one. 
    Latter in the show there is going to be whole hog barbecue along with open pit cooking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i see people buying high end luxury gassers to cook burgers and dogs here in new england. thats still standard bbq here. why buy a cheap kamado when you can pay 5 grand to cook hotdogs on a gasser lakeside
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    the sad thing is that Bobby Flay has a green egg and says that it is the most versatile grill/cooker of all. Michael Simone also has one. 
    Latter in the show there is going to be whole hog barbecue along with open pit cooking.
    What’s the sad part?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    i see people buying high end luxury gassers to cook burgers and dogs here in new england. thats still standard bbq here. why buy a cheap kamado when you can pay 5 grand to cook hotdogs on a gasser lakeside

But those are Wagyu burgers and dogs...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Legume said:
    What’s the sad part?
    That it was his show and not a Kamoda to be found regardless of the color?
  • Legume
    I saw one of the all stainless ones.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Not an Egg in sight.
    There was a BGE on the last episode.
    Raleigh, NC
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    This show is an absolute waste of time.   Thanks Food Network
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 934

Why would you thank a network of food for wasting your time? Listen, you and I both know, a network of food has ..like .. almost ZERO. concept of time ... so .. what was wasted or not seems irrelevant. The only question then becomes ... whether the time in question was absolute or not. I would submit that the fluid nature of time itself defies the concept of absolutes. I personally suspect that time is only a concept that man made up, in order to sell clocks, but what do I know, really.

Ybabpmuts 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Ybabpmuts said:

Why would you thank a network of food for wasting your time? Listen, you and I both know, a network of food has ..like .. almost ZERO. concept of time ... so .. what was wasted or not seems irrelevant. The only question then becomes ... whether the time in question was absolute or not. I would submit that the fluid nature of time itself defies the concept of absolutes. I personally suspect that time is only a concept that man made up, in order to sell clocks, but what do I know, really.

Ybabpmuts 
    My Fave, Janis Joplin

If you got today, you don't worry about tomorrow, man
    Because you don't need it
    Because the matter of the fact, as we discovered tat's rain, tomorrow never happens, man
    It's all the same fVcking day, man… 

Ball and Chain
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Most of the cooking shows are atrocious ....
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Hansm
    I only use my gasser in the winter when it's dark at 4:30 and cold ... Otherwise I have no use for a gasser
  • Hansm
    IMHO Flay is a hack and a tool.  He is nothing without hot sauce and jalapenos. I went to one of his book signings and I never saw anyone so disinterested and completely removed from his fans. I have been to book signings for Alton and Lydia, they are class acts, so engaged with their fan base. 
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Hansm said:
    IMHO Flay is a hack and a tool. 

I'm not a fan either.  A few years ago, he did a session at our State Fair.  I heard he got a high 5-figure payout for attending.
    Raleigh, NC
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    You can all cuss Bobby Flay, but he and his restaurants are making him a rich man!  The average person doesn’t know what good BBQ tastes like, and eats out a lot during the week.  So Flay’s Tex-Mex offerings are “great” food for the masses.  And the alcohol sales make him a ton of $$$$ above the food.  
  • You can all cuss Bobby Flay, but he and his restaurants are making him a rich man!  The average person doesn’t know what good BBQ tastes like, and eats out a lot during the week.  So Flay’s Tex-Mex offerings are “great” food for the masses.  And the alcohol sales make him a ton of $$$$ above the food.  
    I trust your insight into average people!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Thanks for the endorsement Carey! It really means a lot.