Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke leaking out the side

Options
The gaskets that came with my XL came off earlier this spring so I replaced them a few weeks ago with a Rutland.  I did a burn this morning as recommended after replacing and noticed smoke leaking out of the side.  It seems as though my dome is off-center to the right as you’re facing it (the first picture is the side that’s leaking, the second picture is the other side that doesn’t show any gasket).  Is there an adjustment that I could make to correct this?  

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Loosen the top bands, put some weight on top of the dome to make sure the dome is seated down all the way and then retighten the bands. Any time I have had an issue that has worked for me. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    Loosen the top bands, put some weight on top of the dome to make sure the dome is seated down all the way and then retighten the bands. Any time I have had an issue that has worked for me. 
    Thanks for the tip!  Here comes an embarrassing question, though.  I’ve never had to adjust, so to loosen the top band, do you loosen each bolt in the top band, or are there certain ones to loosen before adjusting the dome?  TIA!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    The band meets at the back near the hinge and has two “tabs”. The carriage bolt goes through those two tabs and essentially squeezes the band. With the lid closed loosen that bolt. Adjust as necessary. Snug bolt. Recheck fit. Then tighten bolt fully and recheck.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    As Jstroke said. I used to have to research and adjust mine all the time with the old style bands. Haven’t had to do it since I put the new ones on several years ago. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    Thanks for the tip!  Here comes an embarrassing question, though.  I’ve never had to adjust, so to loosen the top band, do you loosen each bolt in the top band, or are there certain ones to loosen before adjusting the dome?  TIA!
     It embarrassing at all. If you have never needed to do it, you wouldn’t have a reason to know how. 

Loosen the bent bolt on the top hand only. Reseat the dome so it sits centered on the gasket. Have someone else apply some weight/pressure to the dome once seated properly and tighten the bolt. You can do this with just yourself (I always do) but it is easier if you have someone else to hold the dome in place while you tighten. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    And if that adjustment doesn't fix it then there is a chance that  you did not apply the same amount of Permatex at the area of the leakage. That can be fixed by taking a sharp thin blade putty knife and CAREFULLY work it under the Rutland and lift it up. Just squirt some more new Permatex on to the base, smear it around and seat the gasket back down. Then close the dome and let it cure for 24 hours.

OTOH how much smoke leakage is there? If merely wisps then initially the Rutland MAY leak slightly, but after a few cooks then the escaping creosote closes the leaks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    RRP said:
    And if that adjustment doesn't fix it then there is a chance that  you did not apply the same amount of Permatex at the area of the leakage. That can be fixed by taking a sharp thin blade putty knife and CAREFULLY work it under the Rutland and lift it up. Just squirt some more new Permatex on to the base, smear it around and seat the gasket back down. Then close the dome and let it cure for 24 hours.

OTOH how much smoke leakage is there? If merely wisps then initially the Rutland MAY leak slightly, but after a few cooks then the escaping creosote closes the leaks.
    The smoke is just wisps.  I will adjust the dome and hopefully that fixes it.  Thanks for all the advice, everyone.  That’s why I love Egghead Forum!
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2022
    Options
    This forum is awesome. Been some time since I've been around. But..both my eggs leak smoke from the sides. I just make another drink and let er ride. I don't think it affects performance too much. But the adjustments mentioned earlier are the way to go if one so desires. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA