Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts are on the Egg

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
PorkButtcook4.jpg
<p />Here are the 3 7.5lb butts I put on the egg at 3:00PM today. Plan to take off at 8:00AM tomorrow. Rubed with Blues Hog. Wish me luck, Tom

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    BajaTom,
    Looks good, but why 8AM? I would pull them when they get to a temp of about 200...now that would be cool if that happened at 8AM.[p]Good Luck

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    BajaTom,[p] Good Luck with the 8am thing...[p]3 * 7.5 = 22.5 pound * 1.5 hours per pound = a long time :)[p]Now if you separate them enough to let the heat all around them. You'll be sleepin' when they reach 200..[p]
  • Celtic Wolf, I read this on the forum a while back, that the cook should only last as long as the largest butt, not the combined weight of all the butts together. To date that has proved true for me anyway. As you said though, you do need to separate them enough for air flow around them. My last cook of 2 approximately 7½ lb butts took 11 hrs for the smaller and 13½ hrs for larger. Yeah, they'll reach 200* while he's sleeping.

• Celtic Wolf
    Grillicious,[p] Air flow is important. Judging by the picture that airflow is not there. Pictures can ge deceiving, and that is why I answered both ways.[p]
  • BajaTom
    Celtic Wolf,
    I figured 16 hours to get to 190. That puts me at around 7:00AM. Did I not calculate right? Thanks for the imput, Tom

• Celtic Wolf
    Bajatom,[p] Depends on the amount of space between the hunks of meat. If you have ample space it will be finished sooner then you expect. If you have no space at all it will be finished later then you expect.[p]
  • BajaTom
    Celtic Wolf,
    I'm not going to change the position now. It is what it is. I don't have a set time to have them ready so a little longer will not hurt. I guess I will check on them about 5:00AM. I'm taking them to Louisville for a reheat test on Thursday morning at 10:00AM. I have a 4 hour drive to louisville. Thanks, Tom

• Celtic Wolf
    BajaTom,[p] If it was me I'd start checking them at 2:30AM. That will give you 1.5 per pound if the space between them is optimal [p] This is where the Maverick comes in handy. Even with all it's problems it will audibly warn you when it hits your set temps.[p]

• BajaTom
    Celtic Wolf,
    I'm using a guru for this cook. Do you think it will have any effect on the cook time? Thanks, Tom