Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do y'all always wash the outside of pans, etc. ?

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited May 2022 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering. What's really the point?

I get that some folks are concerned about keeping the cooking surface of cooking vessels "clean". For the record, I don't subscribe to the whole "NEVER scrub your cast iron with soap, etc. !" ideology. That's a whole 'notha wormhole. 

So... any point in scrubbing the OUTSIDE/non-cooking surface of a cooking vessel??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I don’t touch the outside of pans, not one bit.  When crud accumulates there, I just look forward to the next time I whip it out for cooking to see what kind of new life forms have grown on the surface.  It can be fun to scare the dinner guests with this kind of thing!  Don’t knock it until you try it!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2022
    Don’t think I have ever really thought about not washing it. If I am washing something I usually wash the whole thing. 
    Agree.

I even use a magic eraser from time to time if there is some burnt-on crud. 

I don't want the crud on the outside to get on the inside of the pan I place it into.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    That’s why I have a wife. 

😎
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

😎
    I thought your in laws come over and do everything for you.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Paid more attention when we had copper bottom revere ware and hung our pans from a rack, now they just get a quick swipe.
  • theyolksonyou
    Legume said:

😎
    I thought your in laws come over and do everything for you.
    They’re getting old.  Have been having to mow my own lawn too. Trying to train the wife.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Every now and then I’ll scrub the outside.  They hang in our kitchen.
    I wash behind my ears as well...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    If stack pans IE Hotel=Yes
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    You can probably guess where I come down on this. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    dmchicago said:
    You wash them with warm water, from below?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    I’ve been helping do commercial crawfish boils for years and washing the entire pot/pan/vessel is part of the gig.   Thus I do the same thing at home.   It’s just a habit.   Then again I do the same with our vehicles.   Maybe I’m just that OCD guy….
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    dmchicago said:
    Do you wash them in the bidet?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Too much of a germ family if the outside isn’t washed also. Plus it attracts roaches.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452

hope she's not over-educated and under-loved  :D
    canuckland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I wash the outside. But I don’t spend time and effort trying to keep them looking new. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 916
    It's mine and I'll wash it as fast as I want. Wait ... what?
  • caliking
    I’ve been helping do commercial crawfish boils for years and washing the entire pot/pan/vessel is part of the gig.   Thus I do the same thing at home.   It’s just a habit.   Then again I do the same with our vehicles.   Maybe I’m just that OCD guy….
    I've never understood the washing cars thing. That's what rain is for.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    edited May 2022
    I always wash the outside of everything. Except for cast iron. I just wipe it down.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just hose all that stuff down.  At the end of the season I hit it with the pressure washer and some soap and oxalic acid.  Not in that order.
    edited May 2022
    caliking said:
    I assume the dirt is like a layer of oxide protecting the paint underneath.  Why wash it off and expose the paint to the elements?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    I assume the dirt is like a layer of oxide protecting the paint underneath.  Why wash it off and expose the paint to the elements?
    ex.act.ly.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I wash the pans to get the black residue off the outside bottom so it doesn't transfer to cabinet/shelf.
  • 100% inside and out. Every time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I wash my pots in the dishwasher. Not cast iron of course. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    I wash my pots in the dishwasher. Not cast iron of course. 
    Send Party ove the hill and I’ll see if she can get some training.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I typically start by the outside 🤷‍♂️