Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Options
123457»

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Follow up to using Sous vide for the purpose of liquefying set up honey.  It works great for pints and small containers at 110 degrees. 
         I had a 5 gallon bucket in a 20 gallon pot at 110 degrees for about 3 days and it never liquefied completely, not sure why so I will stick with the bucket blanket. 
       Also I tried to melt 4 gallons of wax using the same set up at 170 degrees but the sous vide could never get there, it hovered around 165.  I will try it again with a 10 gallon pot and maybe wrap it in a blanket. 
    Did you have a cover over the bath?  If you don't, the evaporative cooling that occurs off the top of the bath makes it very difficult to get up to higher-range temps, in my experience.  

no cover, that is a good idea though, I could make something out of scrap plywood.
    This stuff gets rave reviews:

Reflectix
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    Follow up to using Sous vide for the purpose of liquefying set up honey.  It works great for pints and small containers at 110 degrees. 
         I had a 5 gallon bucket in a 20 gallon pot at 110 degrees for about 3 days and it never liquefied completely, not sure why so I will stick with the bucket blanket. 
       Also I tried to melt 4 gallons of wax using the same set up at 170 degrees but the sous vide could never get there, it hovered around 165.  I will try it again with a 10 gallon pot and maybe wrap it in a blanket. 
    Did you have a cover over the bath?  If you don't, the evaporative cooling that occurs off the top of the bath makes it very difficult to get up to higher-range temps, in my experience.  

no cover, that is a good idea though, I could make something out of scrap plywood.
    An even easier solution is just to cover the surface with ping pong balls, if you have enough.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    Langner91 said:

This stuff gets rave reviews:

Reflectix

That is a good idea, I have some of that in the barn from my roofing days.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

An even easier solution is just to cover the surface with ping pong balls, if you have enough.
     An EVEN easier (easierer?) solution is bubble wrap type of stuff, that comes in all of those Amazon boxes. 

What sous vide unit are you using @alaskanassasin? The Anova or Joule units kinda peak when circulating 30ish quarts of water. If you're circulating larger volumes, you'll likely get better results with more than one circulator.   

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.