Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster temp and timing

Options
Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
Hey guys, quick one.

When cooking lobster on the grill, what dome temp do you use, and generally for how long do you cook them (from frozen or dethawed)?

Gonna cook a couple of whole lobsters tonight ... I'm dethawing them now.
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    Hey guys, quick one.

When cooking lobster on the grill, what dome temp do you use, and generally for how long do you cook them (from frozen or dethawed)?

Gonna cook a couple of whole lobsters tonight ... I'm dethawing them now.
    I’ve got nothing on your lobster but I did spend several minutes researching the word dethaw and I will have to let it slide.  
      Give us some pics of the lobster on your egg, I’m jealous.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Mmm, haven’t cooked whole. I’ve always just done the tails on the grill. Jealous either way. This thread might be helpful.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166968/friday-night-surf-turf#latest
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    I ended up cooking it at 350F for 10 minutes ... served with butter garlic sauce spiced with my smokey paprika mix.

Forgot to take pictures, as I also cooked a prime rib, and was focusing on that (pictures will be posted on that soon).
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Can I highly recommend you just steam them inside. 8-10 minutes and they are perfect. Sided with a reverse seared steak and some grilled veggies to get the Egg involved.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Can I highly recommend you just steam them inside. 8-10 minutes and they are perfect. Sided with a reverse seared steak and some grilled veggies to get the Egg involved.
    I agree with this, I don't see any real advantage to cooking a whole lobster on the egg.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Yeah I read that online, pretty much everyone saying to steam them ... but there's just something about seeing a picture of a lobster tail on a grill ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Yeah I read that online, pretty much everyone saying to steam them ... but there's just something about seeing a picture of a lobster tail on a grill ....

those southern tropical lobsters are better for the grill. maine lobsters are better steamed, even better steam them over the rock weed where you find the mussels.  ive tried steaming them over rock weed in the egg and still it picks up an off flavor from the lump.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it