Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Louisville Kentucky

It looks like I will be in Louisville for a weekend next month. Any must eats in the area? Also looking for a good place to stay. I may bring the RV but haven’t decided yet. Any advice from @lousubcap or anyone else in the area would be appreciated.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• FYI - couple of Louisville’s biggest weekends coming up….  Thunder over the Ohio (air show and 30 minute fireworks show, all right downtown over the river) is April 23 and the Kentucky Derby is May 7.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,183
    edited April 2022
    @lousubcap no doubt has some ideas. 

I’d love to get there before too long.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @lousubcap no doubt has some ideas. 

I’d love to get there before too long.
    @YukonRon
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Distillery tours a must
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    There are many good places to stay downtown (all the major chains and a couple of historic hotels, Seelbach and Brown) and the surrounding area further out. Not sure regarding the RV and any restrictions that may impose.  

Restaurants: Great food town.  Lots of independent restaurants of almost any nationality throughout.

As with every locale-many local breweries.

Distillery tours- Old Forester (downtown) is quite good along with Angel's Envy.  There are a couple of others downtown as well, Rabbit Hole and Peerless.  Tours fill up quickly.

Playing tourist:  The Urban Bourbon Trail which starts at the Frazier History Museum and other iconic sites such as the Derby Museum, the Ali Center and the Louisville Slugger Museum. 
    Paging @YukonRon as he is much more refined than me.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    LeMoo restaurant bring your bank roll. Will admit it was worth it.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    That is impressive @shtgunal3 well done.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    What kind of food do you enjoy? Family meals? I can give you a decent list of places to check out once I know your taste in cuisine. My Beautiful enjoys helping with suggestions. She has been wrong only once, by choosing me as her husband, but never in providing recommendations for guests.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Wagners pharmacy is a go to for breakfast.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Please post some pics of the tournament!  I have no advice on dining.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I hear they make good bourbon in that neck of the woods.  I'd probably just drink.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Thanks all, we like BBQ, Mexican, Italian, steaks, burgers, etc. We’ll eat just about anything really. :smiley:

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jadams03
    jadams03 Posts: 45
    Lots of good options as @lousubcap mentioned (highest number of privately owned restaurants per capita in the US, supposedly). And sounds like @YukonRon is ready to weigh in as well. Here's a few thoughts. For tacos, Taco Lunchador is awesome. BBQ?- lots of options, two of my favorites are Feast and (esp) Hammerheads (Game, owned by the same folks as Hammerheads, focuses on wild game meats- super good).  All of these are very casual. A bit more dressy casual (slacks and collared shirt)- Seviche. All of the seafoods are amazing, and the Churrascos des Argentina (skirt steak) is perhaps IMHO the best red meat option in the city (more pricey for this restaurant). Finally, Mussels and Burgers gets a mention- not surprisingly, they specialize in Mussels and Burgers. Agree with @lousubcap on the bourbon recs, would also add Blade and Bow (nice bar there with Garden and Gun) and also Woodford and/or Buffalo Trace (that's a 45 minute drive or so but great tours).  Have a great trip, and good luck to your son! Will look for his pic in the newspaper 
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry
  • shtgunal3
    @jadams03 thank you sir. 

• Just learned that Kentucky’s official state beverage is…..

….milk. 

Not what I was expecting. But I love the stuff. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Just learned that Kentucky’s official state beverage is…..

….milk. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited April 2022
    Never mind.
    canuckland
  • shtgunal3 said:
    It looks like I will be in Louisville for a weekend next month. Any must eats in the area? Also looking for a good place to stay. I may bring the RV but haven’t decided yet. Any advice from @lousubcap or anyone else in the area would be appreciated.
    I will be down in mid May as well. Looking forward to restaurant recs.
  • jadams03 said:
    Lots of good options as @lousubcap mentioned (highest number of privately owned restaurants per capita in the US, supposedly). And sounds like @YukonRon is ready to weigh in as well. Here's a few thoughts. For tacos, Taco Lunchador is awesome. BBQ?- lots of options, two of my favorites are Feast and (esp) Hammerheads (Game, owned by the same folks as Hammerheads, focuses on wild game meats- super good).  All of these are very casual. A bit more dressy casual (slacks and collared shirt)- Seviche. All of the seafoods are amazing, and the Churrascos des Argentina (skirt steak) is perhaps IMHO the best red meat option in the city (more pricey for this restaurant). Finally, Mussels and Burgers gets a mention- not surprisingly, they specialize in Mussels and Burgers. Agree with @lousubcap on the bourbon recs, would also add Blade and Bow (nice bar there with Garden and Gun) and also Woodford and/or Buffalo Trace (that's a 45 minute drive or so but great tours).  Have a great trip, and good luck to your son! Will look for his pic in the newspaper 
    Thanks
  • shtgunal3
    @jadams03
    Just set down at Game. We ordered the elk, kangaroo, and duck.

• shtgunal3
    Wagner’s Pharmacy for breakfast

• WildmanWilson
    WildmanWilson Posts: 482
    Be careful and don't get yourself shot.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    We'll be arriving in Louisville next Monday and playing Valhalla Tuesday morning then heading up to Kohler...it's gonna be a great week!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    Be careful and don't get yourself shot.
    Is that a real risk walking around Louisville?  
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina - it could happen late at night in the wrong part of the city.  No worries as Valhalla is well clear of the city proper and in a high roller area.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - it could happen late at night in the wrong part of the city.  
    Well that's pretty much the case for just about any city.  

I looked it up and Louisville doesn't appear to be all that violent a place compared to some other places in the US.  It's not even in the top 100.  
  • lousubcap
    There are some ongoing serious police department issues being investigated by the DOJ and they have been at it since Spring 2021.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - The city of Louisville has faced its deadliest year yet with a record number of homicides in 2021.

Homicide total for the Louisville Metro at the end of 2021 is 188 homicides, according to (Louisville Metro Police Dept) LMPD data. The previous record was set back in 2020 with 173 homicides.

• JohnfromKentucky
    JohnfromKentucky Posts: 432
    edited May 2022
    Not sure what the investigations have to do with the shootings in Louisville since they do not involve the police? Except maybe that there aren't as many patrols?

Shootings in Louisville have skyrocketed, and not just in the "wrong part of the city".(now there's a term that probably isn't welcomed by those who live in that area....) Highlands, St Matthews, Crescent Hill, Brownsboro Rd, Fern Creek, etc. all have had shootings.  And not just shootings, but crime in general. Car jackings really went up.

Which is a big reason we moved out of Jefferson County.