Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Trying to make these for dinner tonight:

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• YukonRon
    Options
    Did these Friday night:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2022
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Hey now. Where've ya been??

Can't wait to see the finished pics. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Did these a couple of months ago.

Quite tasty.

They looked awesome.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:

Hey now. Where've ya been??

Can't wait to see the finished pics. 
    Getting better, and hope to be around a bit more, with some cooks. Kind of got busy since February, and just have not had much time between working and other things.

Hoping all is well, hoping to see you Caliqueen and Caliprince again sometime.

peace.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I would take a plate of those plates. Nice job and I have rib envy.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    6baluts said:
    I would take a plate of those plates. Nice job and have rib envy.
    Thank you for the kind words. Hoping they turn out as good as the last batch. If that happens the family will be happy.

Hoping all is well, stay safe, and again I appreciate you taking a look, and the kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Glad you have surfaced again.  Just keep air in the tanks so you don't go submerged and undetected.
    All aside, those ribs look like a banquet waiting to happen while consuming all your XL real estate.
    Toothpick for the win and the reward...brisket on a stick.
    Trust you and Suzy are doing well.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The BBRs were coated with peach preserves reduced with white wine. With a liberal application. They were very good, and zero was left over. 

Did a pork butt the same way and the bark was stupid good.

stay a safe, stay well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Quite tasty.

Please explain (in detail) your egging/view situation. Your ribs look amazing but they really seem to take a back seat to…well everything else
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Glad you have surfaced again.  Just keep air in the tanks so you don't go submerged and undetected.
    All aside, those ribs look like a banquet waiting to happen while consuming all your XL real estate.
    Toothpick for the win and the reward...brisket on a stick.
    Trust you and Suzy are doing well.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Thank you Frank, means a lot, and just as you had said the toothpick wins every time I use it. Pulled at 192°F, there was zero resistance and left the other rack on until195°F.

Just as you have taught me to do, the toothpick test does not lie. They came out great, and we have a couple of ribs left because they cooked so beautifully well, filling plates almost entirely. With 3 women at the table vs our son and I, we just could not finish them all.

our soon to be DIL mad up a very delicious smokey and spicy sauce her family makes from scratch in El Salvador. It was spot on with the smoked beef ribs. I would put it on ice cream, it is that good.

It was a great night at the table, the children, Suzy and I, days I enjoy because we had lost so many of them.

As always, thank you for the kind words and sharing your insight on what makes the Big Green Egg turn out such delicious food.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Quite tasty.

Please explain (in detail) your egging/view situation. Your ribs look amazing but they really seem to take a back seat to…well everything else
    Not mine. It would be impossible for me to tell you that is the view of the Ohio River, lol. This was posted by @MediumRarely.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @MediumRarely'sig line is copied here:
    "Coral Gables, FL and Solitude, USVI (17.752299, -64.630063)

Egghead since 1975 (1 Small, 1 Medium, 4 Large & 1 XL) "

Clearly he has navigated life in great style.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MediumRarely
    Options

Quite tasty.

Recently completed renovations/restorations following Hurricane Maria (September 2017) and re-integrated into the BGE community.  Vacation home in Solitude, USVI.  A few more pic's in a recent thread in the Egg Table Forum - Home for the XL.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Looks great @YukonRon
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    Wowsa.  I might need to pick up a plate of ribs now...
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• YukonRon
    Options
    gmanrva said:
    Looks great @YukonRon
    Thank you for the kind words. I used choice due to the high content of fat in the prime. They trimmed nicely, I used olive oil then covered it in a rub. Turned out ok after 6 hours @275°F

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    briwald said:
    Wowsa.  I might need to pick up a plate of ribs now...
    Long low and slow indirect, it was delicious. Will be done again for sure.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job as usual, Ron.  Keep on smoking, brother.
    Options
    Ron…..I’ve had your ribs. Hope to have more some day soon. Cheers my friend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Nice job as usual, Ron.  Keep on smoking, brother.
    Trained by the best, you are one of those I sought guidance from. Thank you Obewan.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Once I get my shït together again we will do do. Thank you Robin for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Made some beef ribs a week ago and they were amazing. Melt in your mouth. However I refrigerated the leftovers and when reheated the were not the same at all. Ok but much tougher. Definitely eat right away. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Made some beef ribs a week ago and they were amazing. Melt in your mouth. However I refrigerated the leftovers and when reheated the were not the same at all. Ok but much tougher. Definitely eat right away. 
    Leftovers go either into chili, or vegetable beef soup, for us. We will make burritos if there is enough leftovers to do do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I actually have gotten away from SRF beef ribs, the last two were too filled with inedible fat. I have found another source for beef ribs that seem to have been more along our liking for beef and flavor. 

Just got weary of paying elevated prices on items that 30-40% not edible. I can get beef fat for free at most butcher shops around here.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I actually have gotten away from SRF beef ribs, the last two were too filled with inedible fat. I have found another source for beef ribs that seem to have been more along our liking for beef and flavor. 

Just got weary of paying elevated prices on items that 30-40% not edible. I can get beef fat for free at most butcher shops around here.
    I agree. I prefer CAB for beef ribs. A good Choice plus is plenty with as much fat is there normally.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum