Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook Recommendations

Options
George
George Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are getting our BGE this afternoon and I can hardly wait. Sadly, I will not be home till late (Way after dinner). Any suggestions on something quick and easy I can cook up tonight as a late night snack? It needs to be simple because of lack of time, and inexperience. Thanks!

Comments

• Zilm-disabled
    Options
    George,[p]Steak
  • Lady in the Shoe
    Options
    George,
    Beer Buttered sausages

• EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    George,
    Steak was my first also
    That said, I have read several times in the archives since that first cook that cranking up the Egg to 700 first time out is not always recommended. Most of those threads pointed to the gasket being fried but despite my gasket already "looking" like it needs replacement all my cooks seem fine. I wish I could quickly point you to a link that talked about this but do not have time to look right now. My second cook was ribs and they were great (remember to take the membrane off the back) and it is a lower temperature cook. My third cook was hamburgers and they were the best I have ever had.[p]I have only had my Egg since August-2006 and I cannot think of what else I have purchased besides our new house (happy-wife / happy life) that has been more fun. Good luck

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    George,[p] Keep it below 500 for the few few cooks let the gasket set. [p]What something real quick grill a hot dog :)[p]
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    George,[p]Brats are always good for a quick first cook and snacking.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll thow on a couple of brats and a steak. I can hardly wait;-) In a couple hours I will be a legit egghead!
  • Metalhead
    Options
    George ,
    Make sure if you use a starter cube that it burns off completely b-4 you put food on. One thing you will learn is that the BGE can't be rushed.[p]Alot of first timers do not wait long enough b-4 adding food.......myself included[p]good luck and enjoy