Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustrated

Someone mailed us a couple of their mags. It looks interesting, might give it a go. Anyone feel strongly either way or have a better mag they might recommend?
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Someone mailed us a couple of their mags. It looks interesting, might give it a go. Anyone feel strongly either way or have a better mag they might recommend?
    If what you’re seeking is primarily a magazine with some great, original, inspiring articles… you might want to give Playboy a look.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    It's a decent magazine. I subscribed to it for a few years and quit because I kept saving the issues and was running out of space for them in my small house. The recipes are no better than you can easily find on the web, but they explain the whys behind their decisions.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    If what you’re seeking is primarily a magazine with some great, original, inspiring articles… you might want to give Playboy a look.
    Corv said:
    It's a decent magazine. I subscribed to it for a few years and quit because I kept saving the issues and was running out of space for them in my small house. The recipes are no better than you can easily find on the web, but they explain the whys behind their decisions.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just wasted MANY minutes telling you my opinion and the power **** on me losing it all! Been a subscriber for 20 years...not a snob mag, learned a lot, like their way of explaining the whys something is done even their failures getting there, also learned a lot from the hints sections and honestly have trusted and BOUGHT many products based on their testing, evaluation reports and recommendatios!
    My advice is sign up for a come on trial and see if you like it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Always on the lookout for new recipes that aren’t crazy involved, new inspiration I guess.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Corv said:
     The three that were mailed to us are from 2006
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Corv said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I have been a subscriber on their website for a few years and every year I hate myself for not canceling my subscription.  There is better free content on the Internet…

edited March 2022

It, and its sibling magazine Cook's Country, are good publications.
    Before you spend any money I suggest you check with your local library system to see if they or your state library system offer access to the digital format magazine online via the Overdrive/Libby app.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    edited March 2022
    HeavyG said:

It, and its sibling magazine Cook's Country, are good publications.

Before you spend any money I suggest you check with your local library system to see if they or your state library system offer access to the digital format magazine online via the Overdrive/Libby app.

@HeavyG you beat me to it! I used to also subscribe to their sister publication. It sort of is like Cook's Illustrated, but at a cheaper price, but with LESS  verbage explaining  this and that. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I subscribed to several cooking magazines, over the past 15 or so years. Cooks Ilustrated was the longest subscription (10+ years). 

My take:
    - I initially enjoyed the science/detail behind why and how recipes worked, the kitchen gadget reviews, etc. That was kinda their thing, until Kenji left and made “the science behind cooking”  thing popular, and accessible. 

- I felt like their recipes had a New Englandy kinda blandness to them. How do you make a Thai dish that doesn’t pop? Follow the CI recipe. 

- Over the years, they rehashed, or even repeated, a lot of their recipes. Seemed like a 3 yr cycle. 

Caliqueen conveniently “forgot” to renew our subscription a few years ago. Can’t say that I’ve missed it. 

As mentioned already, there is so much excellent free content out there (including this forum). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I've paid for the website subscription for a few years and have found some very good recipes. Like others have said it isn't really worth it and if there was an option to cancel simply by clicking cancel I would have. Not saying I regret having it, but I wouldn't miss it. Not sure how or if it's the same with the magazine. 
  • RRP
    Yo...alaskassin I just tried to send you a PM which of course was aborted. Tell you what....then send ME a PM and I will gladly send  you 12 or 16 past issues! GRATIS! 
    I'm getting a new furnace and AC installed April 4&5 and need to clear some space so those mags won't even be missed! (One of the advantages that I can offer by L being an old 77 year fart with fewer trips around the sun in my future!
  • alaskanassasin
    RRP said:
    Yo...alaskassin I just tried to send you a PM which of course was aborted. Tell you what....then send ME a PM and I will gladly send  you 12 or 16 past issues! GRATIS! 
    I'm getting a new furnace and AC installed April 4&5 and need to clear some space so those mags won't even be missed! (One of the advantages that I can offer by L being an old 77 year fart with fewer trips around the sun in my future!
    Done. Make sure you use media mail. I’ll reimburse you!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    FYI I’m already in your books for 2 gaskets!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    FYI I’m already in your books for 2 gaskets!

Your reply has already been acknowledged and magazines will be shipped gratis tomorrow as promised! BTW I honestly do NOT recall your name, but after 20 years and 7.5K gaskets then please forgive me!
     B) 
  • alaskanassasin
    thanks @RRP you make this place great.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I think there is definitely value to Cooks Illustrated, but after 2 or 3 years I didn't find enough value to keep up my subscription. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    I bought a bread knife from their recommendations, and while it's okay, it's not as good as the older Chicago Cutlery knife I already had.
    And I've got one serious gripe about their recipes - they never include nutrition information. It's a pain to have to calculate that stuff.... I regard that as a barrier to using their recipes.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • I believe Cooks Illustrated is affiliated with ATK.  Both web sites allow you to see their current year recipes, equipment, etc. on a complementary basis - just create an account (free, not the subscription). Voila!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• paqman
    The other thing is that they run distinct affiliated sites (Cooks Country, etc) and they constantly try to upsell you to the multi-site subscription.  The last few times I tried to search something, what I wanted was always on one of the other sites…  I mean, I am already paying you for stuff that is most likely already available for free elsewhere, can you just play nice and let me see all the recipes?

Another thing that I hate is when they review equipment, their selection is rather limited and rarely includes the one I am considering.  The winner may actually be the winner among the equipment they reviewed but it is rarely the best on the market.

I believe Cooks Illustrated is affiliated with ATK.  Both web sites allow you to see their current year recipes, equipment, etc. on a complementary basis - just create an account (free, not the subscription). Voila!

Yep, Cook's Illustrated, Cook's Country, and America's Test Kitchen are all part of the same corporate empire.

Chris Kimball, who started that whole thing, was forced out a few years ago. He then founded a new empire called Milk Street. Milk Street focuses more on international foods but is similar to the ATK model he left in that he has a tv show, radio show, website, print publication,books, store, and just like ATK ... it too is always trying to upsell you on something. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP

As promised I just shipped you a box of about a dozen each Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country assorted years. 

But until this thread bashing both I didn't realize I'd been fooled all these years thinking I liked them! :D:D:D:D:D
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    HeavyG said:
    Chris Kimball, who started that whole thing, was forced out a few years ago. He then founded a new empire called Milk Street. Milk Street focuses more on international foods but is similar to the ATK model he left in that he has a tv show, radio show, website, print publication,books, store, and just like ATK ... it too is always trying to upsell you on something. :)
    I was involved in an event with Kimball some years ago and took an instant dislike to him, as did pretty much everyone there except for the sponsor. Probably the most egotistical SOB I've ever met. For that reason alone I would never resubscribe to anything he did.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • alaskanassasin
    edited March 2022
    RRP said:

As promised I just shipped you a box of about a dozen each Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country assorted years. 

But until this thread bashing both I didn't realize I'd been fooled all these years thinking I liked them! :D:D:D:D:D
    I am excited Ron. I tried to navigate through their website but it was loop hole after loop hole, asked for my email address 20 times, it took several minutes to wade through the pop ups and bs to find where to subscribe. I think it was 24$ per year 6 editions. So you mailed me about 4 years worth without the hassle. Thanks for sharing 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    HeavyG said:
    I believe Cooks Illustrated is affiliated with ATK.  Both web sites allow you to see their current year recipes, equipment, etc. on a complementary basis - just create an account (free, not the subscription). Voila!

Yep, Cook's Illustrated, Cook's Country, and America's Test Kitchen are all part of the same corporate empire.

I find Milk Street much more interesting than the CI/CC/ATK stuff.  Many of their recipes have entered our regular dinner rotation.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• paqman
    RRP said:

I am excited Ron. I tried to navigate through their website but it was loop hole after loop hole, asked for my email address 20 times, it took several minutes to wade through the pop ups and bs to find where to subscribe. I think it was 24$ per year 6 editions. So you mailed me about 4 years worth without the hassle. Thanks for sharing 
    They do it even if you subscribe, repeatedly offering to upgrade your account 😂🤣

Just searched for « cornbread » and out of the 4 first results, 3 are « locked » and not accessible unless you upgrade to multi-site.  I mean, just give me the results for what I am paying for 🤷‍♂️

And to cancel you need to call, you can’t do it online…

I agree with RRP and his comments
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • alaskanassasin

Outstanding Ron thank you for sharing 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.