Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Comments

• MasterC said:
    A 48 hour chuck. See what an extra day will do

I tried this one time several years ago (at 145F, chilled in the fridge for 24 hrs, followed by a couple hours in the BGE for smoke and bark). Found it to be a bit mushy, was going for firm/steak. Let us know how yours comes out, along with temp. I now use 24 hours as my baseline (both low and high temp).

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I put one on last night @MasterC
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    RyanStl said:
    Decided to buck up and get the Anova 16 liter.  I'm planning to switch up my bbq routine to include SV, so I want something that can hold big cuts of meat. I decided the bespoke design is probaby worth the money.
    SV ribs are worth doing, in my opinion.  You have to experiment with the time in the bath, but you can pretty much dial in the level of tenderness.  I do 18 hrs at 147F.  I have a thread on the forum here walking you through the steps.
    Great info!

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185710/spare-me-the-trouble-the-sous-vide-egged-spare-ribs/p1
    Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,360
    Alaskanassasin how long are you going to let it soak, what temperature and how did you season it?
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    MasterC said:
    Alaskanassasin how long are you going to let it soak, what temperature and how did you season it?

Hey @MasterC I rubbed a 2" thick chuck with salt and pepper, smashed a clove of garlic for each side and set the timer for 45 hrs. But I will keep a eye on it tomorrow and pull if its getting mushy.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    I am not a big roast guy so if it doesn't wow me I plan to cut it up for steak fajitas or broccoli beef, something along those lines.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited March 2022

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited March 2022
    Sweet100s said:
    Interesting point @caliking re: the ice bath feature of the Anova WiFi.  I was not aware of that. 

I use Sous Vide ~ 3x / week.  This week for 
    - frozen tuna 125 deg for 1.5 hours, baste in a homemade chili oil. No sear.
    - chapli burgers 135 for 1 hour, then sear
    - lamb shoulder 137 for 1.5 days

I have both an Anova and a Joule.  The only thing I’ve noticed beyond @Ozzie_Isaac and @Caliking’s comprehensive compare is: 

- My Anova is noticeably noisier than the Joule.

- My Joule disconnected from Wifi during a long cook and I had to toss the cook.  
    After that happened,
    1) I only trust the Joule for short cooks.
    2) To get around the noise issue, I moved the reliable but noisier Anova setup into the laundry room for long cooks.  But now I use it for both short and long sous vide cooks.  

I only pull out the Joule if i want to sous vide fish while the Anova is busy with something bigger at a higher temp like a lamb shoulder. 

I printed the NYT Chapli burger recipe, you are cooking these once a week? they're that good?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    I don't like to use raw garlic instead I go with garlic powder. The garlic doesn't cook at the lower temperature and I find it tends to be on the pungent side. 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    MasterC said:
    I don't like to use raw garlic instead I go with garlic powder. The garlic doesn't cook at the lower temperature and I find it tends to be on the pungent side. 

Noted, never too much garlic for me but swmbo may say that I cross that line on occasion.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    Alaskanassasin, you might be converting to a chunk fan after this cook

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    MasterC said:
    Alaskanassasin, you might be converting to a chunk fan after this cook

They usually go the way of Pepper Stout beef but I am always looking for new ways to use up the beef in our freezer
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    edited March 2022
    40 hours in 8 to go

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I watched a YouTube video of a guy that did a 30 day SV brisket. When he opened it it smelled worse than baby shite. He went ahead and finished it and nothing was improved.
  • MasterC
    48 hour chuck

It turned out good, tasty and tender. Not that much different than the 24 hour. 
    Served with double baked potatoe and salad. Sorry no finished plate pictures 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:
    My wife made fun of my improvised SV container, basically calling me a hoosier. She said how much for a real container and when I said $50, she replied that's all.  I ordered this.

My hoosier setup:

The Everie container came in and it is really small.  This is going back.

I think I'm going to go cooler method because the money for these containers is pretty crazy. 

Edit: I see the 24 can cooler is also only 12 quarts.  Still looking.

If you are looking for a solution to accommodate larger cooks, I would suggest something like this one,

A very simple cooler - no wheels, bells or whistles. Good price point as well. Mine is very similar, but has a split lid.  I cut a hole in one corner of the lid form my Joule with the "jumbo" clip.  Perfect for 16 to 18 pound briskets, pork butts, ribs etc.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:
    My wife made fun of my improvised SV container, basically calling me a hoosier. She said how much for a real container and when I said $50, she replied that's all.  I ordered this.

My hoosier setup:

I think I'm going to go cooler method because the money for these containers is pretty crazy. 

If you are looking for a solution to accommodate larger cooks, I would suggest something like this one,

A very simple cooler - no wheels, bells or whistles. Good price point as well. Mine is very similar, but has a split lid.  I cut a hole in one corner of the lid form my Joule with the "jumbo" clip.  Perfect for 16 to 18 pound briskets, pork butts, ribs etc.

Dude, I am trippin'!  Your link is to for a Red cooler at Wal-Mart.  When I click the link, it is a blue cooler on Amazon!  

I better stop for the night....
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91 said:
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:

My hoosier setup:

Dude, I am trippin'!  Your link is to for a Red cooler at Wal-Mart.  When I click the link, it is a blue cooler on Amazon!  

I better stop for the night....

Hahaha! Caught me "red" handed. My first link was for the blue on AMZ, then I went over to Walmart and saw the same in red at a much better price. I just copied the Walmart link and pasted over the AMZ one. I would consider myself a Warlock if the result was intentional. I am going to remember this however...

• FreeNHim
    FreeNHim Posts: 42
    MasterC said:
    48 hour chuck
    Looks great, so 24 would be good to go. Thank you very much for your posts and how you are utilizing another tool.

Best regards,

Jim

It turned out good, tasty and tender. Not that much different than the 24 hour. 
    Served with double baked potatoe and salad. Sorry no finished plate pictures 

• alaskanassasin
    @Sweet100s Tell me about this burger!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    edited March 2022
    RyanStl said:
    RyanStl said:

My hoosier setup:

I have one like that I got free a few years ago on FB MP.  I have other coolers and never really use it, but is seems too big.  I bucked up for the Anova 16 liter and hope it will provide what I need.  It's supposed to be 18" long and seems very well thought out design wise.  It will be in tomorrow.  Maybe I'll make ribs this weekend to give it a try.
  • I am sure you will be happy, it does seem nice. Not ideal for me since I do a lot of larger protein before finishing on the Egg/SearzAll. Also, for long cooks you may want to consider wrapping the sides and bottom in bubble wrap for insulation. Enjoy.

• MasterC
    We had a beautiful day here a couple of weeks ago and I really wanted to  fire up the egg. Everything I had frozen so I decided to use sous vide to thaw some ribs. I setup a ice water bath and set the temperature for 38°. In less than a hour the ribs were thawed.

Allowing me to take advantage of this beautiful weather, fire up the egg and make dinner.

My Anova is the best purchase I've made since my BGE's
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RyanStl
    Ok, I was wondering why they could go that low in temp. Dethaw, didn't think of that.
  • RyanStl
    I have now settled on an arrangement.  Inkbird and Anova 16L container.  My wife is really happy with the setup.  One might think that using a Rubbermaid bin she was using to store clothes in and leaving on the counter for a week in order to get her happy about an $85 container was done on purpose (container cost more than the SV) was done on purpose.  Wish I was that forward thinking.

I have a 2 lb premarinade pork loin in there.  I'll probably have to cut to cook ribs, but looks big enough for a decent sized pork butt.  A smallish turkey would likely fit.

This is a really nice container.

• RyanStl said:
    Ok, I was wondering why they could go that low in temp. Dethaw, didn't think of that.

Love DETHAW. But wouldn't this be the same as re-freezing? Just a friendly jab, but my mind really is a bit warped and digresses.  Possible new product. Sous vide machine that goes both ways.

Heat pump... hmmm. Would need to add some type of solute to depress the freezing point of the bath media. Salt may be a bit aggressive on the pump/heater/chiller, but there are more suitable ones available.

Ice cream served at the perfect temperature. Wife very happy. Probably not in my lifetime (the ice cream, I hope).

This post is worth what you paid for it.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    RyanStl said:

Love DETHAW. But wouldn't this be the same as re-freezing? Just a friendly jab, but my mind really is a bit warped and digresses.  Possible new product. Sous vide machine that goes both ways.

Heat pump... hmmm. Would need to add some type of solute to depress the freezing point of the bath media. Salt may be a bit aggressive on the pump/heater/chiller, but there are more suitable ones available.

Ice cream served at the perfect temperature. Wife very happy. Probably not in my lifetime (the ice cream, I hope).

This post is worth what you paid for it.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This won't re-freeze (or make ice cream) but you can cool/heat/cool: https://www.suvie.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Follow up to using Sous vide for the purpose of liquefying set up honey.  It works great for pints and small containers at 110 degrees. 
         I had a 5 gallon bucket in a 20 gallon pot at 110 degrees for about 3 days and it never liquefied completely, not sure why so I will stick with the bucket blanket. 
       Also I tried to melt 4 gallons of wax using the same set up at 170 degrees but the sous vide could never get there, it hovered around 165.  I will try it again with a 10 gallon pot and maybe wrap it in a blanket. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Follow up to using Sous vide for the purpose of liquefying set up honey.  It works great for pints and small containers at 110 degrees. 
         I had a 5 gallon bucket in a 20 gallon pot at 110 degrees for about 3 days and it never liquefied completely, not sure why so I will stick with the bucket blanket. 
       Also I tried to melt 4 gallons of wax using the same set up at 170 degrees but the sous vide could never get there, it hovered around 165.  I will try it again with a 10 gallon pot and maybe wrap it in a blanket. 
    Did you have a cover over the bath?  If you don't, the evaporative cooling that occurs off the top of the bath makes it very difficult to get up to higher-range temps, in my experience.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Did you have a cover over the bath?  If you don't, the evaporative cooling that occurs off the top of the bath makes it very difficult to get up to higher-range temps, in my experience.  

no cover, that is a good idea though, I could make something out of scrap plywood.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.