Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Finally realized what the 'C' stands for @MasterC .... Chef
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    FreeNHim said:

Those look delicious 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Hey @MasterC Who did you order your anova from? I ordered direct from anova on the 14th and they havent shipped it yet. If you call it goes to voicemail.   I am thinking about cancelling and switching over to a brand that can handle customer service however I was curious where you got yours?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    @alaskanassasin I purchased Anova Precision Cooker Pro, Cooker Container and Precision Vacuum Sealer Pro the end of January.  All were delivered promptly and I have been very pleased with their quality. 

A friend ordered the Anova Precision Cooker Pro through the Home Depot website. He had similar positive experiences in delivery. 
    IL 
  • MasterC
    Hey @MasterC Who did you order your anova from? I ordered direct from anova on the 14th and they havent shipped it yet. If you call it goes to voicemail.   I am thinking about cancelling and switching over to a brand that can handle customer service however I was curious where you got yours?
    I ordered it from kohl's. They'll except coupons and specials offers like their 15 to 30 percent off
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • I hate to be that guy but after waiting over a week for it ship and un answered phone calls I lodged a complaint with PayPal.  About 6 hours later it shipped!  I have been through this type of thing before where it’s on back order and they don’t want to tell you yada yada. It looks like it’s coming from Cali they probably can’t get anyone to work.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    Hope it comes soon
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC said:
    Now you need a searzall to finish off your proteins.

I have been using sous vide and Searzall for many years.  Where do I get the table top support ring? Coleman/Amazon/Walmart?

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• MasterC
    It actually came with a Coleman lantern 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC said:
    It actually came with a Coleman lantern 
    Yep. I had one just like it. Someone was making steal cans with plastic bottoms that were heck to keep upright but I haven’t seen those in a while.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I need a recap because I've been toying the idea of getting a SV.  So far I see either Anova or cheap unit from Amazon and people aren't liking Joule. Now I'm interested in cheapo Amazon. Out of those what is recommended?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    More watts = better in my opinion.  1000 at a minimum.

I bought the "Amazon Choice" and have been happy with it. I see it isn't available right now. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    edited February 2022
    Langner91 said:
    More watts = better in my opinion.  1000 at a minimum.

I bought the "Amazon Choice" and have been happy with it. I see it isn't available right now. 
    There's always an Amazon choice it just changes. I admit I'm usually a sucker for the quick recommendation. After scrolling through two or three pages it is best deal.

Edit: Ha, it's a conspiracy. Amazon's choice is the Anova 750 watt
  • RyanStl
    I think I'm going to go with Inkbird ISV-200W that's selling for $60 on Amazon after coupons.  Now, I see there's containers, racks, weights, bags.  What is your all's preferance with the accessories?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    RyanStl said:
    I think I'm going to go with Inkbird ISV-200W that's selling for $60 on Amazon after coupons.  Now, I see there's containers, racks, weights, bags.  What is your all's preferance with the accessories?
    I use no accessories, I either use a pot, or an ice chest I bore a hole in the lid for the SV…don’t need a whole lot of power once up to temp…. I would get a VacSeal if you don’t have one 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RyanStl
    edited February 2022
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    I use no accessories, I either use a pot, or an ice chest I bore a hole in the lid for the SV…don’t need a whole lot of power once up to temp…. I would get a VacSeal if you don’t have one 
    Looking at vac seal machines.  What width should I go with?  I may want to do a roast in the SV, not sure if 12" wide is enough.

Edit: Looks like that is typical unless you get a commercial unit.
  • RyanStl
    edited February 2022
    I went with this.  I have been thinking about SV for a few years now and I hope I use it enough to justify.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    RyanStl said:
    lkapigian said:
    RyanStl said:
    Looking at vac seal machines.  What width should I go with?  I may want to do a roast in the SV, not sure if 12" wide is enough.

Edit: Looks like that is typical unless you get a commercial unit.
    I have no problem getting chucks, whole pork belly, even brisket in the 12inch 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RyanStl said:
    I went with this.  I have been thinking about SV for a few years now and I hope I use it enough to justify.

I have the 1000W wifi Inkbird for a few years now and it has been fantastic. I made poached eggs with it this morning for breakfast. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RyanStl
    WeberWho said:
    RyanStl said:

I have the 1000W wifi Inkbird for a few years now and it has been fantastic. I made poached eggs with it this morning for breakfast. 
    Your post earlier in this thread sealed the deal.
  • Langner91
    I scored a name-brand vacuum sealer at a neighbor's moving sale.  $10.  Best money I ever spent.  I buy the cheap Amazon bags and have had no problems.  Sometimes, I will double seal if I fear my seal got moist from the meat I was bagging.  But, that can happen with the expensive bags.

You will have fun with that purchase!

Clinton, Iowa
  • MasterC
    Bubba Gump would've loved sous vide. I have gone through pounds of shrimp since getting mine. Simple, easy and delicious.

From frozen, 30 minutes at 140°. Bag up the shrimp add butter and seasoning of your choice; I've been using Dizzy Pig, various flavors. I also add a quarter or half a tsp of baking soda. That will firm up the shrimp and give a little pop to the bite.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    MasterC said:
    Bubba Gump would've loved sous vide. I have gone through pounds of shrimp since getting mine. Simple, easy and delicious.

From frozen, 30 minutes at 140°. Bag up the shrimp add butter and seasoning of your choice; I've been using Dizzy Pig, various flavors. I also add a quarter or half a tsp of baking soda. That will firm up the shrimp and give a little pop to the bite.
    I've been meaning to try shrimp, since the first time you posted these. I imagine it'll make some killer bbq shrimp.

Do you sear the shrimp in any way, or serve straight from the bag?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC
    Straight from the bag. I have a few bags made up in the freezer for quick snacks.
    My favorite so far is Dizzy Pig Bayouish. I do put a couple shakes of Tabasco after removing from the bag. Great snack with a cold beer
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • You may want to try Kenji's approach - tasty shell on or off.

Hard to beat 138F to 140F au naturale with APL's "Amped-Up Cocktail Sauce". Prepping with Chef Step's salt/sugar dry brine or Kenji's baking powder approach seems to work well for me (read this as wife).

Absolutely the best with fresh caught shrimp!!! Truthfully though, IQF technology is really closing the gap.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• MasterC
    Fresh shrimp in Indiana are previously frozen 🙃

I have not tried to  sous vide fresh or thawed shrimp as of yet,  but I do like cooked in the shell better. Since I cook from frozen I have found that a compound butter is the best way to incorporate my seasoning.
    Baking soda does produce good pop to the bite 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Tonight I pulled out the Joule to do salmon in the kitchen at 125 while the laundry room Anova was doing Lamb Kofte at 136. 

Remembered one other thing that really annoyed me about the Joule: 
    The noise it makes - It’s pitch changes.  It sounds like its quitting then it sounds like it winds back up again. 

The Anova is overall louder, but at least the pitch / frequency of its noise is fairly constant.  The Joule’s whine changes which makes it more distracting and annoying.
  • RyanStl
    WeberWho said:
    RyanStl said:

So far I'm liking the Inkbird. I have done some veggies and 10 lbs of chicken legs/thighs. Everyone in the family loved the chicken. I usually get one or two complainers no matter what, not this time.

I'm probably going to return the vac sealer. It doesn't get all the air out and my fist attempts puffed up. After that I double sealed.
  • Langner91
    RyanStl said:
    WeberWho said:
    RyanStl said:

I usually get one or two complainers no matter what, not this time.

I used to have that problem.  I don't cook for them anymore.  Problem solved!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RyanStl
    Langner91 said:
    RyanStl said:
    WeberWho said:
    RyanStl said:

I usually get one or two complainers no matter what, not this time.

I used to have that problem.  I don't cook for them anymore.  Problem solved!
    In a couple years I won't have any kids less than 10, which will help.  Unfortunately, I do have to feed them, but when I'm feeling lazy or have no plan, they all know how to make ramen.