Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    I’m looking forward to trying it, I use a bucket heater to liquify 5 gallons at a time and then bottle into various containers. During the winter months sales tend to slow so the honey has time to set up again, cool chance to solve a problem and get a kitchen gadget. 

to hold a hundred degrees you could probably use a 200 gallon container with bubble wrap floating on top for insulation, theres really no need for a special container. even a 5 gallon bucket would work with the anova
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I’m looking forward to trying it, I use a bucket heater to liquify 5 gallons at a time and then bottle into various containers. During the winter months sales tend to slow so the honey has time to set up again, cool chance to solve a problem and get a kitchen gadget. 

to hold a hundred degrees you could probably use a 200 gallon container with bubble wrap floating on top for insulation, theres really no need for a special container. even a 5 gallon bucket would work with the anova

Are you saying I can build a hilly billy hot tub?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    I’m looking forward to trying it, I use a bucket heater to liquify 5 gallons at a time and then bottle into various containers. During the winter months sales tend to slow so the honey has time to set up again, cool chance to solve a problem and get a kitchen gadget. 

Are you saying I can build a hilly billy hot tub?

brother made one woodfired, big enough for a pool. top of the stove was conical and lined with copper tubing.  my lobster steamer is about 40 gallons, i would say that the anova would easily hold 100 degree temps in it for honey. it holds 182 in my biggest stock pot with ease for cooking carrots and thats 4 or 5 gallons
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Sweet100s said:
    Interesting point @caliking re: the ice bath feature of the Anova WiFi.  I was not aware of that. 

I use Sous Vide ~ 3x / week.  This week for 
    - frozen tuna 125 deg for 1.5 hours, baste in a homemade chili oil. No sear.
    - chapli burgers 135 for 1 hour, then sear
    - lamb shoulder 137 for 1.5 days

I have both an Anova and a Joule.  The only thing I’ve noticed beyond @Ozzie_Isaac and @Caliking’s comprehensive compare is: 

- My Anova is noticeably noisier than the Joule.

- My Joule disconnected from Wifi during a long cook and I had to toss the cook.  
    After that happened,
    1) I only trust the Joule for short cooks.
    2) To get around the noise issue, I moved the reliable but noisier Anova setup into the laundry room for long cooks.  But now I use it for both short and long sous vide cooks.  

I only pull out the Joule if i want to sous vide fish while the Anova is busy with something bigger at a higher temp like a lamb shoulder. 

When a Joule drops its WiFi connection does it not just continue holding the previously set temp?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    HeavyG said:
    Sweet100s said:
    Interesting point @caliking re: the ice bath feature of the Anova WiFi.  I was not aware of that. 

I use Sous Vide ~ 3x / week.  This week for 
    - frozen tuna 125 deg for 1.5 hours, baste in a homemade chili oil. No sear.
    - chapli burgers 135 for 1 hour, then sear
    - lamb shoulder 137 for 1.5 days

I have both an Anova and a Joule.  The only thing I’ve noticed beyond @Ozzie_Isaac and @Caliking’s comprehensive compare is: 

- My Anova is noticeably noisier than the Joule.

- My Joule disconnected from Wifi during a long cook and I had to toss the cook.  
    After that happened,
    1) I only trust the Joule for short cooks.
    2) To get around the noise issue, I moved the reliable but noisier Anova setup into the laundry room for long cooks.  But now I use it for both short and long sous vide cooks.  

I only pull out the Joule if i want to sous vide fish while the Anova is busy with something bigger at a higher temp like a lamb shoulder. 

When a Joule drops its WiFi connection does it not just continue holding the previously set temp?
    I have not seen it stop cooking unless I tell it too.  I have seen it stop receiving wifi commands, but after 30sec.or so I try again and it works.  However, I have never deliberately killed wifi all together to see what happens.  I know if you lose power it does not automatically turn back on.  You need to turn it back on circulate.

This is per the ChefSteps (Joule) website:

You can always cook without WiFi via Joule's Bluetooth connection. If you lose your connection to both WiFi and Bluetooth or your phone otherwise loses connection, Joule will continue to cook safely with no further input.Jan 30, 2020
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,360
    I leave anova and tub out on a counter full time. I use it almost every day. A couple of things I do like; the stadium shape. You can actually see the current of water, awesome convection 

And two I don't need a trivet or towel underneath it 

Sorry I sound like a commercial or a company rep. I will be quiet now.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • @HeavyG
    >> When a Joule drops its WiFi connection does it not just continue holding the previously set temp?

I thought it would.

It did not when that happened to me. 

I woke up, saw the Joule's alert on my iPhone, eventually checked it thinking nothing would be wrong, and the temp was < 110
  • So I pulled the trigger and ordered an Anova Pro from Amazon, what the 1st seller sent was a Nano….NOT what was ordered, someone over labeled the NANO sku with a PRO. Luckily we were able to return it. Just received the real Anavo Pro today in the original packaging, etc. I bought a few books trying to learn more. Any suggestions for my 1st use?.My wife is doubting the value and I would like to get her interested in using in too. 
    Thanks to all for your responses to date. Best regards, Jim
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    FreeNHim said:
    So I pulled the trigger and ordered an Anova Pro from Amazon, what the 1st seller sent was a Nano….NOT what was ordered, someone over labeled the NANO sku with a PRO. Luckily we were able to return it. Just received the real Anavo Pro today in the original packaging, etc. I bought a few books trying to learn more. Any suggestions for my 1st use?.My wife is doubting the value and I would like to get her interested in using in too. 
    Thanks to all for your responses to date. Best regards, Jim
    Chuck roast if you got the time to be patient on your first cook (32-36 hrs).
    If not chicken breasts
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    +1 on the chuck, it is a winner..........for play, cheap and easy , but you will sense the control and accuracy , soft boiled eggs 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    for the weed legal states you can make a decent butter for brownies with these....
    fukahwee maine

• Should a chuck roast be browned before or after? Just salt and pepper?
  • fishlessman
    FreeNHim said:
    Should a chuck roast be browned before or after? Just salt and pepper?

when ive done it the sear was done afterward. go lighter with the spices than you would if just roasting it. poor mans prime rib, its good
    fukahwee maine

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2022
    Ribeye

Coat with coarse Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic powder. Place on wire rack and return to refrigerator 2 hours before cooking.

Set sous vide for 2 hours @ 128 degrees. (Once seared, the result will be medium rare.)

After 2 hours, pat dry with paper towels, being careful not to wipe off the seasoning. 

Optional step - place in refrigerator, uncovered for 5 minutes.

Sear at high heat on a cast iron griddle/skillet until desired crust is reached. (Or direct flame.)

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    @MasterC reminds me that eggs are a reason, all by themselves, for owning a Sous Vide.  I love how they turn out!  I need to cook more eggs sous vide!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • 1voyager
    edited February 2022
    @MasterC

WOW!!!!
  • ...and now I need one of these. Trying to convince myself I don't need an Ooni as well but that's a whole different topic.

Is there a recommend resource for starting times/temps for various foods? I assume it becomes personal preference after while based on desired texture etc.
  • @MasterC, with a chef like you, I know I wouldn’t complain. I’d sit back, shut up, and enjoy. I agree with 1voyager “WOW.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    MasterC said:
    Mrs.C has decided her new favorite is panko fried chicken, infact she keeps requesting it.

•Season boneless chicken breast with salt and pepper, then vacuum seal and place in a 140° bath for 2 hours.
    •After 2 hours remove breast and pat dry
    •Dredge breast through flour, egg wash then panko crumbs 
    •Fry in skillet until browned 

I spice up the eggwash by adding honey Dijon mustard, thyme,  marjoram and ground sage. This turns out great, crunchy crusty and juicy interior.
    Mrs.C is sold on my expenditures 
    love hose butter noodles 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MasterC
    Now you need a searzall to finish off your proteins.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Langner91
    edited February 2022
    MasterC said:
    Mrs.C has decided her new favorite is panko fried chicken, infact she keeps requesting it.

•Season boneless chicken breast with salt and pepper, then vacuum seal and place in a 140° bath for 2 hours.
    •After 2 hours remove breast and pat dry
    •Dredge breast through flour, egg wash then panko crumbs 
    •Fry in skillet until browned 

I spice up the eggwash by adding honey Dijon mustard, thyme,  marjoram and ground sage. This turns out great, crunchy crusty and juicy interior.
    Mrs.C is sold on my expenditures 
    I am borrowing your idea, @MasterC.  I am going to replace the butter noodles with pierogis, though.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Turned out awesome!  The Sous Vide does BL/SL Breasts perfectly!

Clinton, Iowa
  • Doing my inaugural cook. Eye roast for sandwiches tomorrow night. 
  • MasterC
    Ready to hear how it goes FreeNHim,
    Here's tonight's dinner, 8 hour london broil.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • 1voyager
    Nice! Did you use the Searzall?
  • MasterC
    edited February 2022
    Yes.  The larger surface area is harder to get the consistency with the torch but I'm working on that.
    Smaller cuts like chops, chicken pieces and strip steaks are definitely easier 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • My wife didn’t want to wait til the last minute to get things prepared, so pull out a few hours earlier than planned. We both had to taste it of course, good stuff. Looking forward to trying it on a Chuck roast.