Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Comments

• @caliking, thank you for the detailed side by side comparison. Apparently the newer Anova Pro is 1,200 watts. Buy once, cry once? 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for that feedback...I never saw it or read it since I was happy with my Anova. BTW before I even bought my Anova sous vide unit I merely used the "poor man" method of placing the meat in a plastic bag inside a cooler and then added hot water from my kitchen tap! I had to exchange the hot water once, but so what? 

I even STRONGLY suggest to anyone so interested - try the hot tap water approach to see if you want before you lay out a few bucks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Thanks for that feedback...I never saw it or read it since I was happy with my Anova. BTW before I even bought my Anova sous vide unit I merely used the "poor man" method of placing the meat in a plastic bag inside a cooler and then added hot water from my kitchen tap! I had to exchange the hot water once, but so what? 

I even STRONGLY suggest to anyone so interested - try the hot tap water approach to see if you want before you lay out a few bucks!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited February 2022
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

I understand my case must have more protection, but the length of your Joule baffles me! That Joule must be a pretty short little unit! Does it still circulate the water like an outboard motor?

Lol Ron
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    lkapigian said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

I understand my case must have more protection, but the length of your Joule baffles me! That Joule must be a pretty short little unit! Does it still circulate the water like an outboard motor?

Lol Ron
    HONESTLY - I meant NOTHING "dirty" - I was dead serious! My Anova as shown in my earlier picture in my travel case as compared to what must be concealed in that short little case has to confirm my statement!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I recommend both.  Use two.  Cook twice as fast.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    I recommend both.  Use two.  Cook twice as fast.

Thanks! I had NO idea how tiny that Joule unit was!
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    I only wanted 1 sous vide circulater that is why I bought the anova. 
    It's 1200 watts,
    circulates 12L of water a minute,
    wi-fi and blue but also can control from the unit alone no smart device needed
    Built with high quality steel and Teflon coated aluminum 
    Max cook size 60 liter,
    Weight is just under 3lbs
    Apps available 
    Just quality all around

It was not intended to live in my drawer. It sits next to the stove where it  belongs in my small kitchen. 

Anyways do your research and decide which is best for you and enjoy the cook and food.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    FreeNHim said:
    @caliking, thank you for the detailed side by side comparison. Apparently the newer Anova Pro is 1,200 watts. Buy once, cry once? 
    I hadn't seen the specs for the Anova Pro before. Looks impressive! If you think you'll have use for the increased capacity, then go for it. Otherwise, there are less expensive units that will work just fine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC
    Capacity is a good thing. This is a 20lb. spiral cut ham soaking in a 52 liter tub.
    You never know what you might need.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RRP
    MasterC said:
    Capacity is a good thing. This is a 20lb. spiral cut ham soaking in a 52 liter tub.
    You never know what you might need.
    Cool display of cutlery there! A home invader would be a fool to back you into that corner!
  • MasterC
    Thanks, I don't like knives in drawers.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • @MasterC the container that came with your anova was obviously too small? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    @MasterC the container that came with your anova was obviously too small? 
    No it's 16 liter which is quite big. This ham is just a little large, so $15s latter.

I might try a rack of ribs or two one of these days 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • It’s worth getting the container anova sells then?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    edited February 2022
    Yes, the anova tub will be used 95% of the time and its footprint is friendlier. The circulater is able to  heat up 100 liters, according to the manufacturer, but that would be a bigger tub.

Just having fun 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Thinking about getting one and using it dual purpose to reheat honey jars that have set up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    Thinking about getting one and using it dual purpose to reheat honey jars that have set up.
    That should work perfectly 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • MasterC said:
    Thinking about getting one and using it dual purpose to reheat honey jars that have set up.
    That’s what I am thinking, especially plastic jars they warp if too hot and it’s hard to control on the stovetop 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    MasterC said:
    That’s what I am thinking, especially plastic jars they warp if too hot and it’s hard to control on the stovetop 
    That’s damn near genius. Thanks for the idea! No more microwaved honey
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColtsFan said:
    MasterC said:
    That’s damn near genius. Thanks for the idea! No more microwaved honey
    It should re liquify around 100 degrees any hotter and your killing the good stuff
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    That's the type of content I come here for.  I have some that needs to be warmed up right now.  Thanks for the tip and temp!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Sinus Vide some bacon today 160 10 hours, tomorrow will be chacon burnt ends …SV uses are endless…

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’m looking forward to trying it, I use a bucket heater to liquify 5 gallons at a time and then bottle into various containers. During the winter months sales tend to slow so the honey has time to set up again, cool chance to solve a problem and get a kitchen gadget. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I’m liking this set up but $70 for the container seems steep. Probably has something to do with shipping 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Costco sells the kit for a better price.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Bought a Sous Vide Supreme over ten years ago and still using at least 2-3 times a week. Very happy with it. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Out of my budget @OhioEgger yeah I didn’t know they made stand alone unit but it makes sense 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Interesting point @caliking re: the ice bath feature of the Anova WiFi.  I was not aware of that. 

I use Sous Vide ~ 3x / week.  This week for 
    - frozen tuna 125 deg for 1.5 hours, baste in a homemade chili oil. No sear.
    - chapli burgers 135 for 1 hour, then sear
    - lamb shoulder 137 for 1.5 days

I have both an Anova and a Joule.  The only thing I’ve noticed beyond @Ozzie_Isaac and @Caliking’s comprehensive compare is: 

- My Anova is noticeably noisier than the Joule.

- My Joule disconnected from Wifi during a long cook and I had to toss the cook.  
    After that happened,
    1) I only trust the Joule for short cooks.
    2) To get around the noise issue, I moved the reliable but noisier Anova setup into the laundry room for long cooks.  But now I use it for both short and long sous vide cooks.  

I only pull out the Joule if i want to sous vide fish while the Anova is busy with something bigger at a higher temp like a lamb shoulder. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Sweet100s - coincidentally, my ANOVA setup also lives in the laundry room!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.