Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The definitive reference for cuts of meat and more-NAMP guide

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,378
edited February 2022 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago there was a topic posted regarding pork brisket.  I jumped down that rabbit hole and it arrived from Porter Road earlier today.  Figured I would do a little research on the cut.  Turns out it is not mentioned in the North American Meat Processors Association guide.  It had been a few months since I cruised the guide and thought there may be some here would find use in the source.  Linked here-
https://www.thelivestockinstitute.org/uploads/4/9/9/2/49923305/meat-buyers-guide.pdf  
BTW for @SGH I did not see any reference to anus cuts either... B)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I’ll look for its influence in your next cook and associated description. 
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    Now the problem still remains in the chain stores with no meat cutters, names on package do not reflect what cut of meat. I've had at least two different cuts called chuck roast. Country ribs are another. I asked the woman stocking the meat counter at a local store and she knew where they came from. I asked questions at Kroger and was told the cut was really good.
    Cooking on the coast
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Since it's been a year-for those enthusiasts, above posted is still the bible for meat cuts and offer here:
    https://www.thelivestockinstitute.org/uploads/4/9/9/2/49923305/meat-buyers-guide.pdf  
    This should answer any questions about different cuts of meat (save @SGH and anus...).  Worth a skim at a minimum to know what's available.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Just ignore their definition of doneness. 140º for rare seems a bit out of date.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @jtcBoynton I agree, the meat temperatures doneness temps are completely different than what I have seen before. 
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Time for a bump as the below linked youtube from The Bearded Butchers does a great job of breaking down at 400 lb side of beef into all the cuts we consume:
    The knives are scary sharp and the skills are off the chart. 
    Edit and posted the above in a stand-alone thread as the NAMP title likely doesn't mean much to most here.