Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Sous vide unit recommendations

Options
FreeNHim
FreeNHim Posts: 42
edited February 2022 in EggHead Forum
What Sous vide cookers are folks using and what are the best that you would recommend. Pro’s and con’s would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I bought the cheapest 1000W unit I could find on Amazon, because I really didn't know how often I would use it.  It is this one.  I see it is unavailable.  I think I paid $59 or $69 for it in December, 2020.  

It works very well and is still going very strong.  I didn't really need to be able to control it from my phone since my kitchen isn't that big.  I figure once you set it, you leave it, right?

I just used it tonight on some scallops.  It is amazing.  But, if I use it 10 times a year, that is it.  I can't imagine spending big money on a name brand one when this one works.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Have both a Joule and Anova. 
    I agree with @Ozzie_Isaac
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I’d  say I use my simple Anova on average 2 times a month and have for years. I love it and see no reason to go nutso on pricey units with Bluetooth. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Like my Anova’s … probably all good and I would look at how much and how hard you plan on using it… Poly Sci # 1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have an Anova and a Joule, as well. The Joule gets used most of the time, because it is more compact, and easily fits in a kitchen drawer. It is also easier to travel with. 

One option you have with a WiFi SV unit, is that you could pack ice around the protein when you leave for work in the morning, and then fire it up remotely later in the day. Which I’ve done a grand total of ONE time =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I just started sous vide cooking. I have an Anova setup and have good results so far.
    Pro
    1200 watts recover water temperature quickly even when adding frozen products.
    The tub silicone edge keeps the water from evaporation. Did a 24hr cook with  o noticeable loss.
    Con
    It has a little hum when running but then its a circulater.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • rekameohs
    Options

Costco currently has the Anova combination on sale for $40 off ($160)

https://www.costco.com/anova-sous-vide-precision-cooker-kit.product.100671168.html

I bought the Anova unit, then a nice Rubbermaid container with lid for less than the kit, but I do think it is a bit smaller than the what is in the kit.

Raleigh, NC
  • FreeNHim
    Options
    MasterC your chuck roast impressed me so much that I decided I wanted to pull the trigger and get one. Thanks to all for your input. To all, Any top favorites to try as a newbie? 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited February 2022
    Options
    RRP said:
    I’d  say I use my simple Anova on average 2 times a month and have for years. I love it and see no reason to go nutso on pricey units with Bluetooth. 
    Same here. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    FreeNHim said:
    MasterC your chuck roast impressed me so much that I decided I wanted to pull the trigger and get one. Thanks to all for your input. To all, Any top favorites to try as a newbie? 
    Soft boiled eggs!....can’t miss with a chuck roast, does amazing with veggies as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @FreeNHim If you are getting in the SV business I have two recommendations read Douglas Baldwin’s book on food safety and purchase Americas Test Kitchen SV cookbook.  Both are musts, operating a SV without knowing some basic food safety rules is very dangerous since you are operating a big Petrie dish.  No need to be afraid just educate yourself first.  Baldwin’s book is free online but an important first step.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I want to say my Inkbird was under $50 with a promotion a few years back. I see they've gone up to $80 but I wouldn't think twice about buying another one under $100. I'm currently warming up pulled pork for sliders for a group of guys for breakfast. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I use a kitchen boss and a $6 bin from Walmart.  Not Bluetooth but works great.  Easy to use.  Low cost.  

Columbus, Ohio
  • Traviswright
    Options
    I'm using Sous Vide Supreme and it is a good entry level sous vide machine. It does a good job of cooking meat. Its temperature control is precise, and it comes with a vacuum sealer for the cooking bags. The only downside is that the bag does not have a zipper, so you have to seal it manually. Since the bags are vacuum sealed for cooking, you don't need to worry about them getting punctured.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Anova Here for the last 6-8 years. Can’t remember. Use it once/twice a month. Want the container, keep forgetting to order
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Welcome aboard @Traviswright B)
    canuckland
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Instead of going with a dedicated sous vide unit, I went with the 8 Quart Instant Pot Duo Plus.

Pro: Not only does it have a sous vide function, it is a multi-use pressure cooker. 

Con: Size-limited. For example, it's fine for a large trip-tip or 2 ribeyes in the same bag, but wouldn't work well to sous vide a large roast.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @FreeNHim If you are getting in the SV business I have two recommendations read Douglas Baldwin’s book on food safety and purchase Americas Test Kitchen SV cookbook.  Both are musts, operating a SV without knowing some basic food safety rules is very dangerous since you are operating a big Petrie dish.  No need to be afraid just educate yourself first.  Baldwin’s book is free online but an important first step.
    I agree that Baldwin’s website is a reliable source and worth checking out. Just want to point out that his website and his book are different. Much of the information is the same but they do cover things in different detail. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Options
    I got a Joule as a gift, had no idea what it was but really like it now. Chicken is perfect every time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    an early anova, a spaghetti pot, and some bubble wrap here to float on top. i dont use the bubble wrap any more, people were over thinking these things back then
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    This tread is a memory bumper! I forgot all about this Rubbermaid container I bought early on to use and merely cut a hole in the lid. I use another container with no lid now which stores easier as it takes up less space in my pantry.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Joule is good for beginners because you don't have to know time and temp. You can just select your food with the app and doneness with a visual aid on screen and it will set it. After you learn the steps you will probably like the Anova better because having to use a phone app is annoying AF.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    Options
    caliking said:
    I have an Anova and a Joule, as well. The Joule gets used most of the time, because it is more compact, and easily fits in a kitchen drawer. It is also easier to travel with. 

You mentioned travel - here's my Anova with it's own luggage! =)

• caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

You mentioned travel - here's my Anova with it's own luggage! =)

Yep, I have a case like that for my Anova and Joule. The Joule,  with its case, is noticeably more compact than the Anova.

@Thatgrimguy - I initially thought the Joule app control would bug the crap out of me, but it didn't. The Joule's slimmer form factor, and not having to  deal with the sliding bracket/screw thing, won. 

• caliking
    Options

• FreeNHim
    Options
    That’s a substantial difference in size..
  • caliking
    Options
    FreeNHim said:
    That’s a substantial difference in size..
    TWSS

• RRP
    Options
    caliking said:

I understand my case must have more protection, but the length of your Joule baffles me! That Joule must be a pretty short little unit! Does it still circulate the water like an outboard motor?

• caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:

I understand my case must have more protection, but the length of your Joule baffles me! That Joule must be a pretty short little unit! Does it still circulate the water like an outboard motor?

Nope. Neither does the Anova, although the Anova does beat the Joule re: volume circulated per minute. 

Here's my post from a similar thread, ca. 4 yrs ago:

"I have an Anova BT and Joule. Bought the Joule in my  Christmahannukwanzakah shopping frenzy, because it was on sale. 

Here's what I know:
    Anova
    Power 800W (BT), 900W (wifi)
    Circulates 8 liters/min
    Needs more water to operate
    More metal parts
    Fits my cooler better

Joule
    Power 1100W (heats the water up noticeably faster than the Anova)
    Circulates up to 6 L/min
    Needs less water to operate (the min water level needed is less than the Anova)
    Doesn't fit my cooler well (but easy to use with  smaller pots. 

-The Anova wifi has a neat Ice Bath feature where it will monitor the temp of the ice bath, and send you a notification when it hits 40F. Then you program it to run your cook remotely. You can do something similar with the Joule, but its not as streamlined. 

- I was able to rig a clip bracket to use the Joule  in a cooler, but prefer the Anova for the cooler.

- The magnetic base of the Joule is neat, and lets you position the unit in the middle. Maybe this circulates the water more evenly?

- The Joule feels more plasticky. The impeller is plastic. The Anova's is steel.

I have been using the Joule more recently, because its compact and fits into a kitchen drawer very easily. Also easier to travel with. The Anova used to be my travel unit, but its bulky compared to the Joule.

- I sometimes miss the controls being on the unit (Anova) vs. control via phone (Joule). I'm getting over this though, since it is convenient to have the Joule nearby in the kitchen drawer.   

So currently, I use the Joule more than the Anova (a couple of times weekly), and will likely get rid of the SVS Demi sitting in the corner. If you SV large quantities in a 35qt cooler, then maybe the Anova is for you. If the sleek form factor of the Joule flicks your Bic, then get that one. I think the Anova is on sale more often though, and is cheaper than the Joule to begin with. "