Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steaks....Two thumbs up....waaaaay up!!!

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done these a couple of times now, and I can say I'm impressed with the flavor, tenderness, and price!![p]This one was "Choice" and retails for 5-6 per pound![p]Marinate for 1-2 hrs. in approx: [p]1/3 Balsamic, or Chinese Black Vinegar
1/3 Lite Soy Sauce
1/3 Lea & Perrins
A touch of brown sugar and smash a couple cloves of garlic![p]Dry well... then salt and pepper and hit the grid @ 550 dome!![p]P10100212-1.jpg[p]Flip every 3 minutes...12-15 minuutes.
(15 mins will get you @ about 135-140)[p]Rest and slice across the grain...!![p]P10100272-1.jpg[p]Delicious!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chubby,
    damn, that sure looks good. ..nice pics chubbs. ...that ann gets to be a better cook all the time . .. .oops, sorry, i forgot, we're all supposed to think you're doing the cooking ;-)

• Chubby
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]If I could just get her to do my posting!!![p]Now...that'd be coool!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Chubby,
    Those are a big fave of mine, too. I go 20 minutes because I (actually "She who must be obeyed") doesn't like rare. I slice 'em thin and serve on a hoagy with swiss and sauted mushrooms and onions. Had one for lunch today in fact![p]Kelly
    (I've been around, just haven't had anything to say lately)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, that mean you took the day off or packed a lunch to work? I hear the weather isn't too nice there in Columbia lately. My sis is still going there for rehab therapy.
    I wondered why you've been silent of late...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That does look mighty tasty there Chubster,
    Looks like the grain goes top to bottom. Against the grain would mean cutting that steak on an extreme bias..almost horzontal to the cutting board. Am I seein' it right??[p]Either way, I want me a piece a dat. I can almost smell it.
    Beers sir
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • terrafirmay
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Good information and, of course, you are right, Chris. That's why I always read your posts. See ya at Waldorf.[p]****

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Had one last night. Bought it at Max's favorite DC butcher a couple months ago (about the same price per pound as yours and about 1.5 pounds total weight.) Since it was frozen I gave it a warm bath and when the outside was thawed used a good dose of Red Eye Express and left it to warm up some more. It took only three minutes a side at 600 dome on my medium (I couldn't have handled more time - it was 15 degrees here in the DC suburbs!) and it came out a perfect medium rare, looking much like your photos.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks man. Just sittin back and observing while I have a spare 30 seconds. Even though I hardly have any extra time, I can't stay away from this forum. [p]I have never cooked a flat iron steak, but Chubby's laser sharp picture tells it all ;-)[p]Dang, Waldorf is comin up isn't it. See you there ****!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DaytonEgger
    Options
    IMG_0881.jpg
    <p />Chubby,[p]I use those for a nice Thai Beef Salad. I sear them extra hot (750+) for 2 minutes a side, and then roast for 2 minutes a side. Can't beat the flavor or the price.

• Chubby
    Options
    DaytonEgger,[p]
    I agree!!![p]Dat looks gooood...BTW!![p]Evans