Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you add more flavor to a pork butt?

Options
TideJoe
TideJoe Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I inject the butt's with a mixture of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, corn syrup, worchestershire, and some dizzy dust. Then I very liberally coat the butt in the coarse grind dizzy dust. I let it sit overnight in the fridge (usually 24 hours). When I cook it, I use a guru and cook at 225-230.... nice and slow with hickory chunks. The meat is always super tender and easy to pull, but it's always kinda bland. What can I do to help give it more flavor? When I visit a BBQ place in town and get the pork plate, there BBQ has so much flavor (almost sweet) even without BBQ sauce. Any suggestions on adding more flavor?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    TideJoe,[p] See thread below about "injecting while cooking."
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]Most BBQ places add a rub to the pulled pork after cooking. I do this and the rub will dissolve and the meat will soak up the flavor.
  • Mrs. Taz
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]
    I injected mine with some apple cider a few weeks back it stayed really moist and was really good.

• Grillicious
    Options
    icemncmth, That's what I do as well. After pulling I hit it with more rub and toss it a little. I also also give it a quirt of apple cide vinegar mixed with dried chipotle pepper (thankyou Grillmeister). I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    TideJoe, [p]I don't know where you live and what meat is available to you. Where I am, I've found the best tasting butts come from local organic farmers and/or real butcher shops where the butcher knows exactly whose pigs he is butchering. Another market I go to, up north, buys 4-H livestock at the annual county fair. Now THAT is some good pig![p]That doesn't really answer your question but local farmers' markets and real butchers are a good place to start.[p]Mrs. Apple

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]I talked to a friend who own's a couple of BBQ joints..[p]After the pork is pulled he mixes in Cider,Honey,and some more rub ( his rub doesn't have much sugar in it)