Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili and chocolate question

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm entering a chili competition on Sunday. I'm smoking a small brisket flat to use as the meat in my chili but I'm thinking of adding some unsweetened choclate to the mix, sort of along the lines that if a mole is a good that a little (1 or 2 oz) of choclate melted into the mix it might enhance the flavor somewhat.[p]Any thoughts or ideas?[p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    JM3,
    i've tried recipes where cocoa powder was added...[p]don't go nuts and don't do sweet.[p]deepens color, and there is maybe (some say they taste it, some don't) a discernable richness roasted flavor added. doesn't make it 'candy chocolatey' like you might think.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • i add chocolate to my chili, but only unsweetened & 1 square max - it adds a silkiness to the flavor by rounding it out to a smoother flavor - add a little first and taste after 10 min. before adding more
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    JM3,[p] In one of Flay's Throwdown's he added cocco powder to his chile. People apparently liked it. I have made some three pepper Cajun Ravioli's with chocolate in the mix to mellow out the heat. It goes every well..
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    JM3,[p]I use cocoa powder but only a little. I wouldn't use unsweetened choclate because of the cocoa fat. But you could always try it and let us know how it turns out. I eaten chili all over the US and a lot of resturants and cocoa powder as the secret ingredient.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    JM3,
    Go with a high quality Bittersweet Chocolate like Lindt. It sort of ranks up there with cooking wine, if you would not drink it then why cook with it. It does not take much chocolate, I would only use an ounce or two.[p]I love chili and Chocolate and more and more high-end bars are incorporating the two.[p]In a recent issue of Cook’s Illustrated there was a recipe for Guinness Beef Stew that used the bittersweet chocolate to enhance all of the flavors. Man, was that good stuff.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk