Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lodge trivet, tipsy

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
Put the new lodge trivet in, works great but when I go to stir my lump before starting a new fire, the trivet tips and the lump falls to the bottom, then I scoop it out, reset the trivet and continue. Am I the only one with a nack for doing this???????????
Thanks,
New Bob (it will be a cool 72 here today) berr,berr,berr

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    New Bob, what I learned to do is to use back and forth motions so as to not tip the trivet. If it doesn't work for you after a week or two you could always grind off the three little ears, but I think it best they stay on. Good Luck.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks, I just wanted to know that I was not the only one. Thought it was one vodka to many till I tried it in the morning, no difference, still tipsy. (the trivet, not me)
    New Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Bob,[p]You don't need to stir it that vigorously - mine never moves but I don't push it either.[p]Tim
  • Bordello
    Options
    Tim M,
    I use the ash tool but hardly touch it when it just tips. The trivet is only 8 inches in diameter and almost falls through. The original grate is 8-3/4 inches. Guess I need lots more practice, I will be sure not to put more lump in then I need so I won't have to much to scoop out when it and I are tipsy. (smile)
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    New Bob,
    I don't think you have the lodge trivet but a floor drain. I think I have the same one you do and I used 4 stainless bolts and used them for legs for drain to stand on. Double nut them to keep them on and to adjust height. I bought my drain at Menards and had the same problem. Should have bought larger but I cooked paint off so I could'nt return it.
    Hope this helps.
    Painter

• New Bob,[p]I guess we stir alike because I had the same problem with the Lodge trivet tipping. After some experimentation I’ve found a solution that works. It may sound like overkill, but the end result works extremely well for me (and now my neighbor).[p]I bought six ¼” x 4-1/4” (my sweetie is asleep right now so I can’t check exact length) pan head bolts, twelve ¼” large diameter washers and twelve ¼” nuts. Space the bolts upside down evenly around the trivet so the pan head becomes the foot. Put a nut on the bolt, then a washer, then the trivet, then another washer and finally another nut. You want the trivet as high up on your new legs as possible so when you’re done the end of the bolt will be about flush with the top nut. When assembly is complete put the trivet on a level surface and adjust the legs for level.[p]When installed in my large BGE the trivet does not rest on the firebox –it’s just a bit higher. The trivet never slips and you can be super aggressive stirring if you like with no problems. Also, since the trivet is now slightly above the fire box the ash will drop down through this gap at the wall all the way around the perimeter of the trivet, but not the charcoal.[p]It sounds like a lot of bolts, but it works really great. Now when I cook on the egg the only thing a little tippy sometimes is me.[p]Have a great week![p]OctoberGlory[p][Just noticed your post Painter. I guess I’m a little wordy and type too slow :)][p]
  • Bordello
    Options
    Painter,
    Thanks for the tip. I do have the lodge trivet as I order it from gray and holt. It is listed as a 8 inch meat rack,which is a litte smaller then the original.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    OctoberGlory,
    My thanks to you and Painter, I will pick up some bolts,washers and nuts today. It's good to know I'm not the only one. Wonderful solution for a tipsy problem. Have a great day.
    New Bob

• New Bob,[p]You're welcome. Just as an interesting side note. I ordered my trivet directly from Lodge. Thinking it was a trivet in the traditional sense I ordered two. One for the egg and one to set under my cast iron skillet on when it came off a hot stove.[p]When the trivets arrived with no legs it was obvious it was not designed to set a hot skillet on. I called Lodge to ask what they designed it for. They told me it's actually designed to go in the bottom of their Dutch ovens to keep the food from burning during a cook.[p]Good day![p]OctoberGlory

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    OctoberGlory, I don't think anyone can type much slower than I, as I've had this computor only a year and my job doesn't warrant using a key board. Used be one of the tops in my typing class though (35 years ago) so I'm hoping it will come back to me.
    Painter