Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cooking times?

Jeff P
Jeff P Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a Large BGE and will be cooking at 225 Deg. I use the Jamison's Smoke & Spice for cooking times and it has served me very well. I normally cook one item at a time such as a brisket or a boston butt.[p]I want to cook these two together. I have a 4 pound butt and a 4 pound brisket. It sould take about 6 total hours cooking time seperately. [p]Should I increase the time because of having the extra meat in the egg? [p]Thanks,[p]Jeff

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Jeff P, yes, you can do both..and its just a matter of meat physics..:-) (I like that heeeyaaa) The more mass you add in meat volume, the longer it will take to reach the initial cooking temperature once the meat is inserted. Once that stabilizes, your off and running, so add about 10 to 20 % to your time table according to the largest hunk of meat you put in. Use two polders and you can pull first done, first served...
    Its been my experience and others may have a different conclusion...
    Cheer's atcha..
    C~W[p]

• Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    Hmmm.... not sure I'd agree with CW on this one .... it kind of depends how much room you have between/around those two pieces of meat I think. As long as the dome temp is maintained, I'd think that each would cook at about the same "minutes per pound" as usual. Of course, I've only had my egg for 2 weeks.... but that's my advice <G>
  • Char-Woody
    Cheryl, that's o.k. we be neighbors..:-)
    What I was getting at is at the initial start up even with a preheated BGE, you will get a temperature drop as the exterior meat warms up to its work. The more mass of meat inserted, the longer it usually takes for the temperature to again rise to the desired cooking temps.
    Most of the time with Brisket and Boston Butt we try to pre-smoke at 200F or below, then allow it a slow rise to the 225 to 250F range. So at these temperatures, inserting a cold meat it will take additional time for the meats to obsorb smoke and temperatures. Some start at the 225 range, and go from there. So it may vary from even less than 10 to 20% additional with two like weights in meats.
    Good to have you disagree with me...other's don't dare..heeeyaaaa. Except Cat, KennyG, Spin, JJ, and the list goes on.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W[p]

• Jeff P
    Jeff P Posts: 2
    Thanks, Char-Woody and Cheryl. Car-Woody said what I was thinking. I'm about to get started. Thanks, again.[p]Jeff
  • Char-Woody
    Jeff P, watch the dome thermometer stem when you close the dome if its in contact with the meat or close to it. Best to remove the thermometer and insert later. I do this with big turkey also. When folks get their BGE's take that dang clip off the inside entirely and either store it or slide it all the way up to the top of the stem and leave it there. It has no real purpose that I can see inside the dome.
    C~W[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Char-Woody, I keep my clip on otside also as I have the old plastic thermometer and it is my spacer on outer dome to protect from heat. Did the wind calm down for you today or are you gettin hit hard again today? Rain in forecast for here for next three days so I suppose you'll be getting it first.

• Char-Woody
    Painter , yuppers...rain it is or was. .6 inches this morning. We need it so its bearable.
    Tomorrow I initiate the lawn mower after getting ribs to dry rub for Tuesday rib cook. Nothing better than working with the spring planting while the fragrance of a BGE cook is wafting thru the air. I have learned to always work down wind..heeeeyaaa.
    Cheers...C~W