Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Peppercorn All The Same?

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,024
edited January 2022 in EggHead Forum
I received a set of battery powered salt/pepper grinders as a gift awhile back. I'm just getting around to using them as I had a cheaper set before and never gave much thought about the actual spices that I put in them.  

Is all peppercorn the same? Is there other options that I should look into other than just black peppercorn for a pepper flavor?

The same goes with salt. Any other options for salt one might recommend for the grinder?

Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Go for Tellicherry....has a nice bite to it. It's a black peppercorn.

Also spring for some white peppercorns, and get a dedicated grinder. A bit milder, and doesn't color the end product.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I will defer to the eggsperts but there are many different peppercorns out there and with different profiles, black, off red and white are the ones I see as most common.
    Regarding salt- same thing although given the driver is NaCl the flavor variations are less.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited January 2022
    According to ATK, "tellicherry" is a size designation (large) and not a specific type.  
    And regarding salt, I don't use/have a salt grinder, use yours for another type of pepper.  The grind does make a difference when measuring out salt for a recipe, but for final adjustments to a dish I don't measure, I taste.  Some claim a flaky, "sea" salt gives a better crunch or mouthfeel at the end of cooking; that's up to you.  

EDIT:  Here's the ATK segment (and I guess "tellicherry" also has to come from India, my bad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfmRqEoI1Gs

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    WeberWho said:
    I received a set of battery powered salt/pepper grinders as a gift awhile back. I'm just getting around to using them as I had a cheaper set before and never gave much thought about the actual spices that I put in them.  

Is all peppercorn the same? Is there other options that I should look into other than just black peppercorn for a pepper flavor?

The same goes with salt. Any other options for salt one might recommend for the grinder?

Thanks!

You will get tired of changing/charging those batteries.
    NOLA
  • While not technically peppercorn, pink peppercorn is a favourite flavour of mine. Really unlike anything else, in the best possible way. It is to die for in a cheese fondue. Pricey, but incredible. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Sichuan peppercorns are extremely unique as well, and key to a lot of iconic dishes.

Salt grinders have always seemed pointless to me.  You grind spices to release oils and aromas in the berry; salt is a rock.  You grind it, and you get smaller rocks.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Acn said:
    Sichuan peppercorns are extremely unique as well, and key to a lot of iconic dishes.

Salt grinders have always seemed pointless to me.  You grind spices to release oils and aromas in the berry; salt is a rock.  You grind it, and you get smaller rocks.
    Quite numbing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    first time i bought tellicherry from penzys i saw the difference. the good stuff and fresh, has a good pepper bite. im heavey handed with pepper, grinder at the stove and one next to my chair. i use the white pepper to hide it from the non spice people. while i do have  small salt grinder next to my chair for a finer grind, i mainly just use the store bought seasalt that comes in the McCormick grinder ready to go. everyone went with seasalt years ago, do we not need iodine anymore..........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    first time i bought tellicherry from penzys i saw the difference. the good stuff and fresh, has a good pepper bite. im heavey handed with pepper, grinder at the stove and one next to my chair. i use the white pepper to hide it from the non spice people. while i do have  small salt grinder next to my chair for a finer grind, i mainly just use the store bought seasalt that comes in the McCormick grinder ready to go. everyone went with seasalt years ago, do we not need iodine anymore..........
    Dairy, eggs, and seafood ( I think) have iodine, but I don't know what the necessary amounts of these are that one needs to eat, to meet iodine requirements. In our part of the world, we may be able to get by without iodized salt, but I haven't verified this. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    caliking said:
    Dairy, eggs, and seafood ( I think) have iodine, but I don't know what the necessary amounts of these are that one needs to eat, to meet iodine requirements. In our part of the world, we may be able to get by without iodized salt, but I haven't verified this. 

kind of surprised its not listed in any of the blood work ive had in the last year with the last 40 or so tubes taken. im sure i get enough with cheese, eggs, and seafood
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    caliking said:

kind of surprised its not listed in any of the blood work ive had in the last year with the last 40 or so tubes taken. im sure i get enough with cheese, eggs, and seafood
    Not sure they measure free iodine, it would probably be evident in a thyroid panel, I think.
  • nolaegghead
    If you aren't pregnant or breastfeeding (are you?), you probably don't need iodized salts if you regularly eat what Cali listed.  Most processed foods with salt added don't use iodized salt.  A sign of low iodine is goiter and hypothyroidism, although lots of other things can cause that.  But hypothyroidism will give you low energy and make your life miserable so it's good to know.
    For pepper, just buy good quality. Find an Indian supermarket to get cheap bulk spices. I also use a 5 spice pepper mix - black, white, green & red plus allspice berries. I grind in a pestle and mortar.

For salt, I use Maldon sea salt. You can crush the flakes between your fingers, no grinder needed.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Eoin said:
    For pepper, just buy good quality. Find an Indian supermarket to get cheap bulk spices. I also use a 5 spice pepper mix - black, white, green & red plus allspice berries. I grind in a pestle and mortar.

For salt, I use Maldon sea salt. You can crush the flakes between your fingers, no grinder needed.
    I have used a similar blend here, except it had coriander seeds instead of allspice. Smaller proportion of coriander to the pepper varieties so it was just a hint.  
  • nolaegghead
    Regarding the colored pepper mixes - FYI/FWIW - the pink pepper is actually a nut, so if you have any friends or family with nut allergies, beware.
    Pepper is not pepper. Store brands all suck, no flavor. I shop at the following
    https://penderys.com/
    https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/tellicherry-peppercorns

LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • I haven’t gotten around to trying them all, but thank you, this will save me a ton of time!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Real tellicherry from the north of Kerala is a game changer.  Most of what you will find on the market is either an entirely different variety or adulterated with karnataka because it looks almost the same and is cheaper.