Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked XL Base

Options
I just noticed an exterior crack, it could just be a fracture. I just sent a warranty request to BGE Support.

Can I continue to use it for low slow cooks until the replacement base arrives?

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Does it go all the way through?  It might just be in the glaze.

What does it look like inside?  

That's an odd place, I don't know that I have ever seen one crack there.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I do not think that it goes all the way through but it there is a lot of creosote inside so it is hard to tell. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    I think yours is set in a non-flammable table.  If so, I would move the table away from the house (opposite side of your patio) and continue to use while you wait for a new base.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I think yours is set in a non-flammable table.  If so, I would move the table away from the house (opposite side of your patio) and continue to use while you wait for a new base.
    I agree! BTW THAT is NO crack in the glaze...that is a cracked base!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Might as well get used to filing claims when you own an XL.  I got good at it, until my dealer quit BGE.  Then I sold my eggs cheap.  Much prefer steel to ceramic now!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Might as well get used to filing claims when you own an XL.  I got good at it, until my dealer quit BGE.  Then I sold my eggs cheap.  Much prefer steel to ceramic now!
    I had my XL for 6 years before I needed to file a claim, that was only for a firebox too.

I burned through the firebox and burner in my Weber Genesis in about 5 years, so those are not immune to issues either.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dstearn
    Options
    I had the dome replaced, fire ring, fire box and charcoal grate returned under warranty over the past 8 years. Each time I call BGE warranty to file the claim. They will either ship to you or your dealer. The dealer just needs the claim from BGE to get the parts shipped to them but you need to file the claim thru BGE first. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    RRP said:
    I agree! BTW THAT is NO crack in the glaze...that is a cracked base!
    Set the ribs on with post oak chunks. When the fan from the controller was on I did see some
    smoke escaping through the crack. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    In spite of the crack the ribs turned out ok.