Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a 17 lb ribeye

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Me and my brother and sister in law are having a party for my dad this weekend. He turns 65 tomorrow, and we invited some of his friends over to my brother's house on Saturday. I wanted to do soemthing special, so I bought a 17 lb ribeye. I've never cooked a roast this big before. The original plan was to do it in my brother's oven or his Weber, but I live close enough to do it in the Egg and bring it over.[p]Has anyone ever done one in the Egg? I figure I can do it like other roasts - sear each side, then cook it indirect (or at least on a rack over a foil pan) at around 350-400. Any adice on cooking this monster slab of beef?

Comments

• BluesnBBQ,
    One suggestion I have is to cut some slits with a paring knife and insert garlic cloves into the roast. I have done this with nice results. About 20 or so for that size roast. Sounds like you are in the ballpark for temp and method. Be sure to use a polder so that you don't overcook. Seems like about 125 internal gives a medium rare roast but you should double check that temp. I seem to recall that 135 internal results in well done.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    shiek,[p]How long do you think it will take to cook? We're going to serve steamed shrimp for appetizers and I want to make sure I time the cooking right.
  • BluesnBBQ,
    I am going to try to cook a large rib roast myself. I am convering a oven method I used a couple of times. Last week I practiced on a smaller one, it worked great. It easy and simple and suposed to work on any size roast (so the recipe said).
    Sear Roast well, put on rack with pan. Cook 425 for 45 minutes, shut down BGE completely(do not open!). Let set for 4 hours up to 8 hours if your day is a busy one (do not open!, the time does not seem to affect doneness). when ready to eat. start egg, cook at 350 for 30 minutes.
    I don't know how real cold temps will affect this. Like I said it works great in an oven. It make thr roast a perfect pink thru out and moist. the big thing is do not open oven or EGG as the case may be. Also the garilc idea sounds good. So if you are the adventureous tpye have fun.
    BajaBobber

• rose
    rose Posts: 37
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    This is a great recipe for prime rib. after you brown the rib, the only thing you need to do is get the egg the right temp. you can then put it into the oven at the lowest temp to keep it warm.

Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06 by AccuChef (tm) www.AccuChef.com[p] Title: Perfect Rib Roast
    Categories: Main Dish
    Yield: 8 Servings

1 Standing Rib Roast (About 7
    -Lbs)
    1 Salt
    1 Black Pepper,Ground[p][Note: This is our traditional christmas meat. I started this in
    1976, and we have had prime rib every christmas since.My girls love it.
    ]
    Adjust oven rack to low position and preheat oven to 200 degrees. Heat
    a large roasting pan over 2 burners set at medium-high heat. Place
    roast in hot pan and sear on all sides until nicely browned and about
    1/2 cup of fat has rendered from roast. 6 to 8 minutes. Remove roast
    from pan. Set a wire rack in pan: Set roast on rack. Generously season
    meat with salt and pepper. Place roast in oven and roast @ 200 degrees
    until a meat themometer registers 130 degrees for medium-rare.About 3
    1/2 hours. If roast is done sooner than you expect. Simply turn oven as
    low as possible (preferably 150 to 170 degrees) and let stand until
    ready to serve. Transfer roast to a cutting board. With rib bones
    perpendicular to board. Using a carving fork to hold roast in place,
    cut along rib bones to sever meat from bones. Set roast cut side down
    and carve meat across grain into 3/4 to 1 inch slices. Serve
    immediately.[p][p]
    [p]

• I've done roasts like that numerous times on a Weber, but never yet on my Egg - I do the slit thing, and alternate garlic cloves and rosemary. Rub heavily with butter, ground pepper, and rock salt. Never found it necessary to brown them first - by the time the meat gets up to temp, they're nice and brown. Another tip (this works for turkey, also) - soak some fresh rosemary in water and use for smoke flavor.
  • dlbond007
    Options
    I realize this topic thread is 20 yrs old but it perfectly fits my recent experience.  Friends asked if we would join them for Christmas Dinner, and we accepted.  I offered to prepare a 3-bone rib roast I already had. That turned into the friends bringing me a 16 lb boneless Prime (USDA graded) rib roast, asking me to prepare (smoke) it. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity and put mine back in the freezer.

I trimmed the fat cap completely off, cut out some corner and other accessible fat chunks.  Took off the silver skin too.  I halved, rolled, and tied into approx. 5.5 lb roasts. Each got a good Schmear of butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Back into the refrigerator overnight - about 14 hrs.  

For both roasts: took just under 4 hrs to smoke to 130 degrees.  I pulled, wrapped in foil and towel, and dropped into an old cooler for a one hour rest.  From there, we went to a high heat sear - about 20 min/roast at 400-435, turning every 3-4 min.  Then wrapped, back in the cooler, and off to the dinner party. 

A lot of fun and a great reward. I'm a lucky guy.
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Wow that looks good! With the beef prices this year, I didn’t even bother trying. I usually sear a good bit hotter than that. Looks like you dialed it in perfect to get a great crust without burning all the spices. 

How long was the rest (drive) after the sear?
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• steelcityegger
    Options
    Really looks great!!