Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accidentally Spritzed Beef with Simple Green

All, I'm having a bad day with spritzing.  I'm smoking a couple beef roasts, about 6.5 lbs total.  First, my PB Mister exploded as I was pumping it.  Luckily I was outside.  I then fill up a new spray bottle with water and used a sharpie to write "Water Only" on the side.  I went to spritz and realized I left the bottle outside and it started to freeze.  I ran it under hot water to unfreeze and put it on the counter.

Now is when things really go bad.  I put my shoes back on and grab the sprayer, spritz, and then wrap the beef.  I get back in and realize I grabbed the bottle of Simple Green by mistake.  I immediately hit the beef with the actual water really heavy, but I may have ruined the cook.  It has about 2 hrs left and hope the little bit of Simple Green won't be noticeable.  Luckily, I'm not cooking for my immediate family only.

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Sounds like me when I day drink. Although idk what I did wrong, just that it taste like crap!
    NW IOWA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Funny thing is I have been using a miter saw to cut wood for a project my wife has me working on.  I finished that project and only had less than half a beer before this misshap.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited January 2022
    Well, on the position side, it looks like it won't kill you.

Simple Green Crystal is a heavy-duty formula that is approved by the FDA for food-preparation areas. ... This food-safe cleaner is not only non-toxic and biodegradable, but is also non-hazardous, non-flammable and non-corrosive. - not a doctor, but this is from interwebz
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Let us know how it turns out, you might be on to something!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    Will do.  I'm guessing worse case it's going to give a soapy taste.  My wife said maybe it will burn off like alcohol.  I'm not saying anything to the kids because if they knew they wouldn't even try it.
  • RyanStl
    Well, on the position side, it looks like it won't kill you.

Simple Green Crystal is a heavy-duty formula that is approved by the FDA for food-preparation areas. ... This food-safe cleaner is not only non-toxic and biodegradable, but is also non-hazardous, non-flammable and non-corrosive. - not a doctor, but this is from interwebz
    Yeah, I wouldn't drink it, but Simple Green is marketed as a safe cleaner.  I'm just glad we don't keep sprayers of bleach around.  Plus, I'm guessing it is definatly bettern than 409, which we also have.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I'm soo glad I'm not the only one!  :lol:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I don’t know, I would think I tasted it whether I really did or not.  😛 I would have just chucked it and ordered pizza!  Great story and thanks for sharing.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RyanStl
    caliking said:
    I think you win the forum today. 

I would have called it (more from a “that’s it! I’m done!! perspective) and ordered something. 

But, kudos for soldiering on, and not telling the kids. This sort of stiff builds character. 

And, your wife? A keeper, for sure. You married well, sir. 
    Thanks, I also believe so most of the time.  She's the most stubborn Italian descendant, as a 4th gen American.  She can remember her immigrant great grandmother.

Something you have to know about me is it takes a lot for me to throw out food, especially that much food.

Lesson learned is I need to get me a new dedicated spritzer, but I'm passing on  PB Mister since it exploded after a year and half.  Any suggestions?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:

I would have called it (more from a “that’s it! I’m done!! perspective) and ordered something. 

But, kudos for soldiering on, and not telling the kids. This sort of stiff builds character. 

You will eat food cooked in gutter oil, but a little spritz with some Simple Green causes you concern?  🤣
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RyanStl said:
    caliking said:

Thanks, I also believe so most of the time.  She's the most stubborn Italian descendant, as a 4th gen American.  She can remember her immigrant great grandmother.

Something you have to know about me is it takes a lot for me to throw out food, especially that much food.

Lesson learned is I need to get me a new dedicated spritzer, but I'm passing on  PB Mister since it exploded after a year and half.  Any suggestions?
    I use the cheapie $3 spritz bottles from the grocery store.  I use a permanent marker and mark on them what is in them.  
  • If it was WD-40 I might have shaved the bark off but toss it? no way
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    caliking said:

You will eat food cooked in gutter oil, but a little spritz with some Simple Green causes you concern?  🤣
    Ha, I only posted a picture of Uncle Eddy unloading his RV in that thread.  No way implying consent that I would eat that grossness.  That story was gross.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:

Not so much the Simple Green. More that I goofed, and needed to sit back and drink a few beverages. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Not so much the Simple Green. More that I goofed, and needed to sit back and drink a few beverages. 
    I get that.  I have tossed a fair amount of stuff that I messed up.  Sometimes, even if edible, I just order pizza, drink some beer, and try and forget about it.  An 18hr Pho comes to mind.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Btw way, @RyanStl thank you for sharing.  These types of cooks are more interesting and informative than the "Everything went amazing, I nailed it cooks" .... I think most my cooks go towards the I f'ed it up and did my best to save it direction.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Son/daughter: "dad, why is the roast green?"
    You: "It's a groundbreaking Midori marinade, you'll LOVE IT!"
    Legume said:

I need to watch that movie.

@Ozzie_Isaac me too. I'll also admit that I should have injected the beef because it also came out dry.  These were the first roasts from my cow buy and I'm learning that cow was very lean.  For left overs I fix the dryness by letting it soak in beef broth.
  • Which roast was lean?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    I don't understand why anyone spritzes meat, ever.

I quit about 40 years ago and the only difference I noticed was my food getting done sooner because I wasn't opening the cooker.
  • RyanStl
    Which roast was lean?
    One was a rump and other sirloin roast. The sirloin was drier.
  • RyanStl
    scdaf said:

I quit about 40 years ago and the only difference I noticed was my food getting done sooner because I wasn't opening the cooker.
    Would love some opinion. I started doing it after watching Henry Soo videos. I thought it helped form the bark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    looks to be safe as long as you dont mix the baste with other household cleaning products

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RyanStl said:
    scdaf said:

Would love some opinion. I started doing it after watching Henry Soo videos. I thought it helped form the bark
    I am on the fence for spritzing.  The ribs I spritzed seem to have much tougher bark.  Not in a good way.  Kind of chewy.  They look beautiful till you bite into them.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    RyanStl said:
    scdaf said:

I am on the fence for spritzing.  The ribs I spritzed seem to have much tougher bark.  Not in a good way.  Kind of chewy.  They look beautiful till you bite into them.
    I truly believe this is how new recipes are born ... like wine, blue cheese, tequilla ... I mean who would actually invent those things on purpose? Who thinks of boiling a cactus and making an alcoholic beverage from it?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Perfect opportunity for a side-by-side; put a toothpick into one end of the rack, then just spritz that half, compare at the end.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    “Spritzed meat”  I dunno sounds German…