Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Are there any pilots here?

Just wondering if there are any pilots here?  Either just general aviation or commercial. I succesfully passed my checkride yesterday for private pilot. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Congrats!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    EGGjlmh said:
    Just wondering if there are any pilots here?  Either just general aviation or commercial. I succesfully passed my checkride yesterday for private pilot. 
    Nice! BIL is a CFI, we lost our free trainer when I had 31 hours behind the yoke. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Congrats!  I have a few hours in a Cessna and a Glider and thousands s of hours on RC planes 😆  Lots of fun.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Congrats!  I have a few hours in a Cessna and a Glider and thousands s of hours on RC planes 😆  Lots of fun.
    You sell your RC planes? I still have mine figuring I might get back into it some day
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Been thinking about selling though. Good market for them right now
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Congrats!  I have a few hours in a Cessna and a Glider and thousands s of hours on RC planes 😆  Lots of fun.
    You sell your RC planes? I still have mine figuring I might get back into it some day
    I still have my race plane (.40 size T-34 with a worked YS-91 tuned for 85% nitro), and a profile Hots.  Got rid of all my other planes.  My dad just off-loaded his entire collection.  They were worth nothing for many years, but you are correct the market has picked up a bit.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    cub22908 said:
    Congratulations!  Great accomplishment!  I'm sure there are a number of pilots here that will chime in.

This is what I fly now:

This is what I used to fly:  =)

Thanks!

Sweet plane!  I will be flying a Cessna 182. I still have to get my high performance endorsement to fly it. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    EGGjlmh said:
    Great goal and accomplishment right there.  Way to see it across the finish-line!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I feel like @lkapigian may not fly, though he has close friends who do. (Please correct me if I am wrong, Larry!)
  • EGGjlmh
    lousubcap said:
    EGGjlmh said:
    Great goal and accomplishment right there.  Way to see it across the finish-line!
    Thank you!  Lots of time involved and of course $$$

• EGGjlmh
    Congrats!  You're going to have a blast.

I've been a pilot for 27+ years, but haven't flown in several years just being too busy and really no access.  It's not a pastime hobby--need to fly often and stay proficient.  I worked for 10+ yrs as a full time EMS, and part time traffic/news & NVG instructor pilot.  Also did 4-5 yrs of tours, instruction, aerial photography/survey, and charter work before that.  Commercial/instrument/CFI/CFII Helicopter, and private in Airplane SEL.....also went to college for my A&P/IA and keep that current.
    Wow, I knew you used to be a med helicopter pilot but I had no idea of everything else. I have found out how frustrating training can be, I don't want to do any more training until I take a break!

• Are you the guy I saw doing barrel rolls over southwest Indiana yesterday ? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
      My dad just off-loaded his entire collection. 
    How about all his kites? Still got them? Jeeps and Jeep accessories too? Eggs?

Your daddy-o just keeps his interests moving & shaken doesn't he? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGjlmh said: I don't want to do any more training until I take a break!
    Take a break for sure, you earned it.  But start on that instrument rating ASAP.  Of all the ratings I have done that is the greatest.  If you are going to fly an airplane as nice as a 182, you need an instrument ticket.  Sooner the better!

• EGGjlmh
    cub22908 said:
    EGGjlmh said: I don't want to do any more training until I take a break!
    Take a break for sure, you earned it.  But start on that instrument rating ASAP.  Of all the ratings I have done that is the greatest.  If you are going to fly an airplane as nice as a 182, you need an instrument ticket.  Sooner the better!

Thank you. I'm not sure about the instrument rating yet. The 182 is currently VFR only. However, there is some discussion about making it an IFR plane....have to see what happens

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Congratulations on the PPL!
    The 182 is a very good airplane, any year it was built. It'll carry a lot over a good range. Not the fastest plane in the sky but fast enough to get the job done, and it has better short field performance than most people use.
    I've been flying most of my adult life, but don't own a 182. Flown one, though.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I used to fly a 182RG, and got my private add on in a 177B.  I had time in Pipers, Mooneys, and Socatas......definitely the easiest the to fly, maintain, etc besides the Diamond Katana.  I've never flown a Cirrus, but hear they are awesome.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I feel like @lkapigian may not fly, though he has close friends who do. (Please correct me if I am wrong, Larry!)
    LoL , love my buddies king air 350 .. I can joke about it, but he is so overwhelming  gracious 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Saw this in the news today, thought of this thread.  This gentleman was having a really really bad day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/10/plane-hit-by-train-california/9155052002/
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    dmchicago said:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Saw this in the news today, thought of this thread.  This gentleman was having a really really bad day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/10/plane-hit-by-train-california/9155052002/
    You could also say he had a really really lucky day; kudos to the police!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:

You could also say he had a really really lucky day; kudos to the police!  
    That is an excellent point.  Crashing a plane and getting hit by a train.  What a story.
  • Botch
    "Trains, Planes and Ambulances".... 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    "Trains, Planes and Ambulances".... 
    I laughed significantly harder than I probably should have.