Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Disney World

Options
So, yesterday we finally did Christmas with my parents. My family finally healthy, no issues with mom and dad…..they gave my kids a week trip to Disney. My kids are thrilled, as is my wife. I’ve been 4 times (albeit 25 years ago or so). Where do we stay? I’m sure many of you on here have been. I know the attractions have changed/improved. Planning on hitting Universal for a day as well. Thanks in advance

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    When we visited (maybe 6 years ago), we stayed here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-villas/

The place is in walking distance to Disney World, has a very nice outdoor space.

A couple of big caveats: it’s not clear that it’s re-opened yet, and it sounds like they may be doing a phased reopening.  So I’m not sure when you’re planning to go, but that might affect things.  These kinds of places also book up very quickly, so just be aware of that.  Finally, they are not cheap.  Really nothing about Disney is cheap, for convenient choices there seems to generally be only two options: very expensive and expensive. Just be prepared for sticker shock.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Good podcast about the mouse...
    https://addictedtothemouse.com/podcasts/

I tend to run out of screen time before I run out of listening time.  
    Can listen to podcasts while doing other things (working out, driving, house chores, etc.)  
    If you are new to podcasts and use an iPhone, Overcast is an excellent app.     Or you can use any podcast app, search for the above, and hit subscribe.

Their most recent one is: 
    Best and Worst Character Dining Experiences at Walt Disney World
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That is a hell of a write up @Foghorn, I did not read it all but good on you for taking the time.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Everybody pays the Rat.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Everybody pays the Rat.
    Fortunately for me, it’s my parents. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    That is a hell of a write up @Foghorn, I did not read it all but good on you for taking the time.
    It’s very Premier League-esque 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    @Foghorn, thanks for the info. We are using a Disney Planner to book everything for us except flights. She’s already pushing for us to go at peak times. We ain’t doing that. More than likely going in October or November. My kids will be in K and 2nd grade, not worried about them missing a few days of school to deal with a lesser crowd. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @Foghorn, thanks for the info. We are using a Disney Planner to book everything for us except flights. She’s already pushing for us to go at peak times. We ain’t doing that. More than likely going in October or November. My kids will be in K and 2nd grade, not worried about them missing a few days of school to deal with a lesser crowd. 
    You are in for a treat.  They are going to love it.   Perfect ages for Disney.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    At the end of the adventure for the parents, "Happiness is Disney World in the rear-view mirror" he says after a six day immersion around two decades ago.
    But enjoy the great gift.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    SWMBO is a huge Disney fan. We were there in December for a week. We stayed at the Dolphin resort this time. Already planning again for a trip in May. I highly recommend looking at the All Ears and Disney Food Blog you tube channels. They both give great info on the resorts, parks and restaurants. Planning is KEY with the park reservation system.  Park hopping is really difficult now and not worth the additional cost of those tickets. PM me if you have questions. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    @ColbyLang - my kids are about same age as yours (1st and 2nd grade). We went this past summer, about 2.5 years ago (early May) and 4 years ago (January).

There is no "slow" season anymore, it's pretty much always busy. Summer the last few years has actually been less busy. More people are avoiding the heat and taking kids out of school in spring and fall than in years past. 

Fast pass that @Foghorn mentioned is no more, they have a new service that they charge for per day. It just started about a month or 2 ago. I haven't used it so have no experience.

Also, no more night time parade at Magic Kingdom. The evening fireworks have always been good, they do have a different show running now since we have been.

A lot of the character meals and meetings are either not running or greatly modified due to Covid right now so research before paying cause those meals are expensive.

For EPCOT, avoid weekends if you can. The locals like to eat/drink around all the different countries and it gets a lot more crowded than weekdays. Also, Disney Springs is much more crowded on weekends.

Don't go to a park every day. Spend 1-2 days chilling at hotel, swimming etc. Also, try to take a mid-day break on park days. 

Pm me if have any questions, I'll try to help
    Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2022
    Options
    When I was 10, my parents gave me the option of Disney or Paris for my birthday.  I chose Paris and have never regretted that decision.....and have still never gone to Disney.

Gave my first born the option to go wherever, he chose Washington DC with the last day at DizzyFest; then the second born chose Las Vegas.  Not sure where #3 and #4 will want to go for their 10th bdays, but some kids don't care about the mouse.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy shite. There's a chance that caliprince won't know what Disney World is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    If you don't offer then I am fairly sure it won't matter, especially in this day and age.  The mouse does not have the hold on the entertainment house that he once had-but it is still formidable should he get inside.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @ColbyLang We go every year! If you have a chance it seems like the best months to go are September, November and January (as far as crowds). Even then, certain weeks are busier than others.

We normally stay offsite and don't do the Disney resorts. The place we usually go to is about $80-$120 a night and has two large bedrooms, 2 baths and a full kitchen caribe cove resorts.

Disney Genie  plus is the new fast past, I believe it is $15 per day. Also, if I had one suggestion to take away, download the Disney world app. You can look at wait times, food menus, rides, etc... Another tip for some of the fast service food places it is quicker to mobile order (like chick fil a) through the Disney world app. A lot of times we order our food while waiting in line for a ride then pick it up after the ride.

Try to go to Magic Kingdom/Hollywood studios in the middle of the week, Wednesday or Thursday if it is an option.

At Epcot the world showcase where the various countries are opens at 11am, that leaves you some time in the morning to explore the front of the park.

Depending on when you are going, a lot of the character meets are not available with COVID so you don't to wait in those lines. Still have to wear masks at the park but they are not as strict with the 4 and under kids.

Bring a few nalgene type bottles to fill with water, most of the fast service food restaurants will give you a few cups of ice and cups of water for free.

Like Cap said at Animal Kingdom, try and hit the safari ride either first thing or at the end of the day around 5pm those are good times to see the animals. Also if you want to ride the Avatar Flight of Passage, that is where I would run right after you check in.
    LBGE
    AL
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    When I was 10, my parents gave me the option of Disney or Paris for my birthday.  I chose Paris and have never regretted that decision.....and have still never gone to Disney.

Gave my first born the option to go wherever, he chose Washington DC with the last day at DizzyFest; then the second born chose Las Vegas.  Not sure where #3 and #4 will want to go for their 10th bdays, but some kids don't care about the mouse.
    Did you get to visit Disneyland Paris?  I’ve always wanted to go, I hear it is a very chic and cool Disney.
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    I will add that we don't park hop as much since having kids, you can save some $$ by just buying the 1 park per day tickets. You also, will need to make your park reservation ahead of time for each day you are going. If you are going in the fall, don't miss the food and wine festival at Epcot.
    LBGE
    AL
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Did you get to visit Disneyland Paris?  I’ve always wanted to go, I hear it is a very chic and cool Disney.
    No, it was before that ever opened......but wouldn't have gone anyway.  Why pay to see a fake mini castle when the Palace of Versailles is down the street??  That's how I've always rolled.
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    Castle > Palace

To each their own, but you sound like you were quite the young Sheldon.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Castle > Palace

True, but........

[Fake, mini] Castle < [real, HUGE] Palace

I wouldn't go to Disney Paris to see a castle, I'd go to England, Germany, etc to see the real ones.   ;)
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    find a disney planner, there are a bunch locally where you are.  you pay the booking fees anyway and the difference is disney gives the planner the fees instead of keeping them but they can help answer all of your questions and plan everything taking the stress off of yall.  its free to you and helps someone locally get some extra cash.  they are normally stay at home moms that go disney 4-5x a year.  its the only way to plan a trip IMO.  i think there is a facebook group that is smart moms planning disney my wife follows and its ran by planners but has alot of good stuff on it also.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i hit post too soon.  here are the main things i tell people, we just went in may of 2021 with just our two kids and we went in October of 2019 with here whole family, group of 15.

we stay at the pop century.  its the cheapest option and we spend all day in the park so the room doesn't matter.  they have the gondolas there 

we did a rest day in the middle, well worth it.  hang out by the pool and sleep in order pizza.  

if your in magic kingdom get to splash mountain before it closes the line, cook drop to the lit up castle at the end of the night 

the app for food booking is good to do ahead of time

plan for ponchos, cheap and light ones work good

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I had all intentions of sharing my expertise on Disney until I realized we were there for the 25th anniversary .  25 years ago  :o .  One gem comes to mind.  The Animal Kingdom lodge is super nice until it's midnight and the walk to your room is further  than most fun runs. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My wife just advised me it's only been 20.   I stand corrected.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ColbyLang
    Options
    Guys, appreciate all of the insight. Meeting with Disney Planner week after next. Target date mid to late October depending on kids fall break at school. Shooting for a mid-tier resort as we will only be sleeping there. No need to spend a grand a night for a Holiday Inn type of room. 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Guys, appreciate all of the insight. Meeting with Disney Planner week after next. Target date mid to late October depending on kids fall break at school. Shooting for a mid-tier resort as we will only be sleeping there. No need to spend a grand a night for a Holiday Inn type of room. 
    That is a good time to go.  The food and wine festival is then at Epcot.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 said:
    That is a good time to go.  The food and wine festival is then at Epcot.  
    What's-her-name's publisher flew her and I out there for a medical convention during that festival, and we got to attend a cool wine-tasting sponsored by Chateau St. Jean (which, I learned, is pronounced "jean" as in the pants).  There were six samples, including two that were only used in wines mixed with different varietals (meritage), they weren't too good on their own.  Then we learn the final pour was their international prize winner (I can't remember what its called, its in my notes somewhere), which was a meritage of the previous five wines we'd tasted, so cool!  It was delicious, and you could pick out hints of the other five in it.  One of the more memorable tastings I've been able to attend.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TideEggHead
    Options
    @ColbyLang We just got back from Disney on Saturday. Last week was a lot busier than we thought it was going to be. I would highly suggest the genie + option if you can manage. Some of the wait times for the more popular rides were 70 minutes, 90 min, 100, 120. The Ratatouille ride in EPCOT was never less than a 70 minute wait.

Currently, there are quite a few quick service restaurants that make you mobile order (chick fil a style) then pick your food up. So you will need to have the Disney app to order. These will have the phone icon that pop up when looking at dining options on the Disney app. Normally, these restaurants have a walk up line to order but now it is mobile order only. Flame tree bbq at animal kingdom, Pinocchio Village Haus and Caseys Corner at MK, Regal Eagle Smokehouse at EPCOT to name a few.

Masks are not required outdoors but are required indoors except when eating etc...

I would suggest trying to get close to main street for the firework show at MK if you plan on staying. Get there about 1 hour before the show to get a decent spot. We started looking about 30 minutes before and it was madness, we had to watch from a non-ideal location.

Plan to stay for the firework show at EPCOT, it is worth it. Try to get a spot near the Rose & Crown Pub in the UK area.
    LBGE
    AL
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    We stayed at the Orleans Riverside/ French Quarter on back to back trips when mine were younger.  

Gave us the price we were looking for, simple bus (or water) trips everywhere we wanted to go.  Room had a Refrigerator that we were able to prepurchase and find stocked when we got there.

When you leave the room early and come home late the room was really just a place to sleep.  We hung out in a few of the other resorts for meals and such.  Now in the past you could get a free ride from MEARS if you were staying on site but thats gone now I think, also staying on site gave you access to early opening or late closings.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.