Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine Recipe for Chicken

Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a 2 week old egger, I Will be doing my second chicken tommorow. The first one done by direction of CharWoody was great. However, he said it would be even better it I'd had time to brine it.
I have that time now, but no brine recipe/instructions.
Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Daddy, I would suggest a simple brine or use Cats or Brants in the recipe sections.
    I make a simple brine and I use Kosher coarse salt. Most of our recipes calls for it. If you use regular salt, cut the amount in half in the recipes.
    1 cup kosher coarse
    1 cup brown sugar
    several garlic cloves crushed (or chopped)
    several bay leaves.
    I use about 1 to two quarts of water to make the initial amount by brining the water to a boil, then add the above ingredients, shut of the heat and let it all disolve in the hot water.
    I use a large pan and when the salt/sugar has disolved, add ice to the mix to chill it down to room temps..Never add hot brine to meat.
    Put your bird in a large enough container that you can completely cover the bird with liquid.
    Add the mix you have made and then fill with regular cold tap water to immerse the bird.
    Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours..
    Remove and triple or quadruple rinse very thoroughly inside and outside to remove salt brine solutions. Then prepare as you did the first time...or your choice.
    Good luck..
    Char-Woody[p]

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the reply. Will start the brine now and let it cool down till late afternoon and put chick in to soak till later tommorow. I fell another good meal is coming

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big daddy, Absolutely...go for it..(;-)
    C~W[p]