Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some Butt Advice

I am cooking two butts on Christmas Eve and I want to try something different.  I bought an Orange Marmalade at the store and thought about basting it on the butts.

I assume I would start applying it when the butts start coming out of the stall.  Suggestions or thought?
Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    MotownVol said:
    I am cooking two butts on Christmas Eve and I want to try something different.  I bought an Orange Marmalade at the store and thought about basting it on the butts.

I assume I would start applying it when the butts start coming out of the stall.  Suggestions or thought?
    Yeah, not too early because you lose the flavor. You can even reserve some and throw it in with any finishing sauce if you're going to pull it.

Just in case you are thinking of doing turbo butts, you should know that you shouldn't use the marmalade for any cook over about 300 degrees as the sugar will burn.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    My opinion is add the marmalade to your favorite sauce.  Apply most of the sauce at the end of the cook for 20 minutes, then add the rest as you pull it...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Thanks for the advice.  Has anyone every tried this? I hope my experimentation doesn’t ruin the butts.  Just thought it sounded good
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1) I have never tried orange marmalade with pulled pork - but it does sound really good.  You may be on the verge of starting a new craze.

2) The closest thing I've done to this is @YukonRon's peach preserve butt.  You coat it in the peach preserves from the beginning.  It is really good - but I have wondered if you could get basically the same taste by using the preserves at the end as others have suggested above... and maybe use less volume of preserves...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I’ve never been one for applying a sugary sauce at the beginning.  It burns too easy.  I hit it at the end.  Peach is great along with apple and apricot.  I must admit I’ve never thought of orange marmalade!  I see some experiments in my future.  Thanks for the idea!
    Flint, Michigan
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    edited December 2021
    if'n it was me . . . I'd be tempted to add some brandy  =)

plz post your results
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • I have mixed up a batch of orange marmalade and bbq sauce, with some of the pan drippings, and then poured it on the pork after I pulled it (still hot). Everyone commented on how moist and flavorful it was!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Since you have two butts on the docket, why not run one with your crowd pleasing process and the other with your marmalade concept modified with the great comments above?  At least half will be a winner and I agree that going late with the marmalade application and under 300*F will be just fine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    smbishop said:
    My opinion is add the marmalade to your favorite sauce.  Apply most of the sauce at the end of the cook for 20 minutes, then add the rest as you pull it...
    Agree with this ... apply when you are say within 5F to max 10F of the target internal temperature.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I'm with Lou, at least one will be good, although probably both. Each would be different and your guests could voice opinions on which was better. Just a suggestion, mine will be without sauce so everyone can use their favorite.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    How did it come out?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MotownVol
    Actually it was pretty good.  Didn’t take any pictures, but it seemed to help keep the meat moist and just added a little sweetness to the meat. I will do it again.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    MotownVol said:
    Actually it was pretty good.  Didn’t take any pictures, but it seemed to help keep the meat moist and just added a little sweetness to the meat. I will do it again.
    How did you apply it?  I would have worried about the sugar burning.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MotownVol said:
    How did you apply it?  I would have worried about the sugar burning.
    The burn point of sugar is somewhere north of 300F.  My guess is that he was smoking well below that temp, but applying the marmalade towards the end in any case probably prevents it from getting anywhere close to burning.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MotownVol
    I was cooking at around 275 and applied a thick coat when the butt reached around 190 degrees.  I gave it about 20-25 minutes and applied another coat and gave it let it cook another 15 minutes.