Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black walnut and Chicken

Options
Fingers
Fingers Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A couple of days ago "sippi" ask about using black walnut to smoke with Tonight I had a couple of chicken leg quarters that I wanted for supper. I also had a couple of scraps of Black Walnut from another project.The chicken was taken from the frig.and painted with a Jerk sauce and placed on the grill at 300* with the wood chunks. turned and basted with sauce every 10 min. for an hour. The Result was a meal with a sharper smoke flavor. However, the sharp flavor complemented the Jerk sauce very well. If you like the bite of a jerk sauce or other spicy sauce I think you will enjoy the added flavor of Walnut smoke.
Fingers

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fingers, good to see you try it. Moderation is the thing with walnut. I think they used walnut and hickory in the old days for curing bacon and ham. Not positive, but the smell was quite noticeable in the old smoke house.
    Cheers and thanks..
    C~W[p]

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    As I had mentioned earlier that it was something that I had thought about for quite a while. This time had the materials and the opportunity so gave it a go. The results were such that I would not care for the flavor on every thing on spicey cooks it is good. Hummmmm... maybe Chef RD"s wings next.
    Fingers