Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Storms

I hope all the Eggers in the central US are ok.  Looks like a terrible night of storms and damage.  Stay safe out there.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Us midwesterner’s are no doubt accustomed to a twister. There’s nothing scarier than having tornado sirens go off in the middle of the night and having 15 minutes or less to get to cover. What we aren’t used to is experiencing this in freaking December.  

Indiana escaped for the most part. So sad this happened two weeks from Christmas 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    ^^^Agree^^^
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I hope all the Eggers in the central US are ok.  Looks like a terrible night of storms and damage.  Stay safe out there.
    My Wife’s Sister and Brother In Law recently sold their house in Mayfield, KY at Cumberland Shores where the Tornadoes stuck. The subdivision was completely destroyed.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.agee.73/videos/2950189171961621/?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    dstearn said:
    My Wife’s Sister and Brother In Law recently sold their house in Mayfield, KY at Cumberland Shores where the Tornadoes stuck. The subdivision was completely destroyed.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.agee.73/videos/2950189171961621/?
    I am glad your family is safe!  That is too close for comfort.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Watching an extended report on ABC News tonight, of the tornado damage.  Dayam.  And I'm really hoping everyone here is okay.   :|  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Just saw a small part of the devastation in Kentucky with my own eyes.

There are no words to describe it.

No live rescues have occurred since early Saturday. The state parks have been opened up to provide temporary shelter, and many of the schools that are still standing in the areas effected have also been designated as shelters.

Donations of money, and supplies are needed, and thankfully over 2.34 million has come in in the first 24 hours.

Driving back home, yesterday, it was good to see truck loads of equipment (massive generators, water pumps/purification systems, etc.,) rolling in from FEMA. 

Appreciate our Governor and the President taking action immediately to support these people.

Whatever images you see, posted on any media source, it is exponentially worse.

Here is a list of opportunities to donate, if you are able:

https://louisvillepublicmedia.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0e9871c599e6afe1122a0a60d&id=1f593ccb65&e=77953c0f5d

Anything you feel you are able to do, will help save lives. So many people have been effected from this disaster in many more ways than you can imagine.

Thank you in advance for anything you can do.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Just terrible. My wife told me about this yesterday and showed me pictures from her phone. The pics reminded me of the Joplin devastation.
  • YukonRon
    National guard deployed. This was Benton, Kentucky.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    hard to comprehend this, most destruction ive ever seen was a vertical micro-burst that took out a barn in an instance. didnt even see it happened, got to the barn a few minutes later
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    hard to comprehend this, most destruction ive ever seen was a vertical micro-burst that took out a barn in an instance. didnt even see it happened, got to the barn a few minutes later

Went through this is Nov. 2013 when 1600 homes were destroyed.  The damage is mind boggling.  Homes cleaned down to the foundation, lawns lifted and laid down across the street, plastic drinking straws embedded in trees, mother nature is no joke.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

Went through this is Nov. 2013 when 1600 homes were destroyed.  The damage is mind boggling.  Homes cleaned down to the foundation, lawns lifted and laid down across the street, plastic drinking straws embedded in trees, mother nature is no joke.

ill take snow any day. that micro blast looked like the finger of god pressed the huge barn to about 20 inches thick and everything around it flew away from the barn up around 200 yards. no warning or anything. cant image tornados, we see them and snap a pick if lucky, no reason to even turn the boat around
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The small town of Bremen, Ky (about 20mins from where we live)was hit extremely hard. Last I heard there were 12 deaths.  We were extremely lucky to not be in this one’s path. I know many people that their lives were changed drastically because of this storm.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    The small town of Bremen, Ky (about 20mins from where we live)was hit extremely hard. Last I heard there were 12 deaths.  We were extremely lucky to not be in this one’s path. I know many people that their lives were changed drastically because of this storm.  
    Glad you are safe. Thinking about heading down during my vacation to help out the rest of the year.

A friend of ours lost lost the roof to her home, her attached garage with her 86 corvette has disappeared, and the looters hit her home and took her deep freezer, and some personal valuables.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    YukonRon said:

https://louisvillepublicmedia.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0e9871c599e6afe1122a0a60d&id=1f593ccb65&e=77953c0f5d

Anything you feel you are able to do, will help save lives. So many people have been effected from this disaster in many more ways than you can imagine.

Done. 

A contribution was also made to OBR. Those folks do some stellar work to feed people in need. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I like putting them to work cleaning up the mess.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    from a FB post: enlarge to see to BGE at Reelfoot Lake KY 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I like putting them to work cleaning up the mess.

Yeah 2 weeks of that, then fish bait. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • YukonRon
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:

Done. 

A contribution was also made to OBR. Those folks do some stellar work to feed people in need. 
    Thank you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

I remember that as well. We had moved back to Morton a couple months before that storm. I remember driving to peoria right after the storm passed through not knowing the damage it had caused thinking the sky was very eerie. 

There was a tornado that came through our neighborhood in 2003 while I was still in high school.  I was driving home and got into our house as the tornado passed by less than 2 minutes later. The sound those things make is not something you will ever forget. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:

Find the last standing tree and string them up.  In 2013 we had to stand guard and put in a curfew because of looting.  A lot of those caught were out of state.
  • Douche bags should be keel hauled.

I went to Mayfield on Monday to drop off some donations from my bass fishing club. The level of devastation is hard to comprehend. Please keeps those folks in your thoughts and prayers.
  • kl8ton said:

Find the last standing tree and string them up.  In 2013 we had to stand guard and put in a curfew because of looting.  A lot of those caught were out of state.
    Put them to work in a chain gang cleaning up first. About a year ought to do , then string them up.
  • Let them have a trial.  It’s very possible they went there to protect private property.
  • I see one of them is named Brandon.  

Let’s go!!!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Let them have a trial.  It’s very possible they went there to protect private property.
    The one on the top right certainly was not going to protect....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Uh stealing is bad mkay Like really really bad mkay - mr mackey  Meme  Generator