Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Ham ribs.....

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if this has been done before, but I just put on my experimental ribs, derived from some mental recollections regarding old German cured porkchops. These were cured for 6 days in salt/sugar/garlic/and Mortons TenderQuick...
Nothing on the external except to rinse very well under running water. The ribs had no offensive smell or deterioration as far as I can tell..On over Hickory smoke and indirect over a drip pan in a wire rib rack. 4 racks of ribs.
That leads me to a question. I am designing for BGE's experiments as well, a special assembly that will allow up to 14 - 16 loin back rib racks, or a dozen or so of spare ribs, and you will be able to add grills, and accessories to it to do sausage and jerky to you hearts content. You will also be able to increase the amount of chicken, turkey, chops. etc.
Do you think this would be interesting enough to proceed with it??
All constructed out of Stainless Steel.
No other info will be posted..just this general note..
C~W
No other

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]Sounds like an interesting 'speriment CW, I would say go for it. Thats the impractical side of me. Now, for the practical side, I don't think I would EVER need to cook 14 or so racks of ribs on the egg. Heck, I get 3 or 4 racks on the medium as it is and that feeds an army to me. If I ever need to cook 14 or so racks of ribs, I'm calling the caterer and having them deal with it. Just my 2 pennies. Not wanting to put the kybosh on anything but if I wanted to cook more, I would have gotten a large egg, I've been satisfied with the medium for 2 years now and have never wished I had more room in that little gem.[p]NOW, I AM interested in those German cured pork chops. Those sound interesting to me. Never really tried to cure anything, been hankerin to try something though. I have a great cookbook with a lot of cures in it, just never tried any of them. Not sure why. Will be real interested to know how those cured ribs come out just nekked out of the cure. Keep me posted if you would.[p]Troy
  • PRobinson
    PRobinson Posts: 74
    Char-Woody,[p]I would certainly be interested. At least twice a year, I cook 3 cases (24 slabs) of spare-ribs for a Church and family gathering. I have only cooked them on the Brinkman Pro-whatever. I got rid of it when I brought a hasty-bake and then committed to the BGE. I am not sure how I will handle this task this year. Perhaps stick with the BGE and cook in batches and freeze. Keep us posted of your progress.
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Char-Woody,
    GO FOR IT! And can you have it done in two weeks. My kid is graduating from college and we are having a TON of people over. (They are all small)Heee. Let me know how the chops turned out. My wife's side of the family is all German. I'm sure that would impress them.

• Char-Woody
    PRobinson, Thanks..I will know next week as I will do a preliminary cook for the welding crew at the shop where they are putting this together. So far, I am excited, but as in all things..improvements can be made. I see none so far. :-)
    I had to special order some Stainless Tubing and dipped into my special sock for 40 bucks...heeeeyaaaa. Experimenting is fun...but expensive. I think you can do more than enuff in two batchs to accomodate the Church.
    There will be some special features to this little cookie![p]E.mail me in how you like to do your spares so I can think about it.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    MAC, Sorry, but maybe next year you will be in good shape.
    This thing has so many potentials it's mind boggling.
    Cheers to ya...have a great party regardless.
    C~W[p]

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Char-Woody,[p] Well C.W, you sure got me wondering whats up your sleeve with this one. Yes,I would be interested, so if it is not to much $$ from your ( clean ) sock, go for it.LOL[p]Earl
  • Char-Woody
    Earl, I think there might be a patent involved thus the reason for the lack of details. Only problem is, its specific for the Large BGE. So far anyway..but I think the design is unique. Until it's factory tested and found suitable to market its kinda under wraps. I just needed a opinion regarding capacity cooks..if there is a interest in doing it. As Troy (Springer) mentioned, quantity isn't a need for everyone. But it should (IMHO) give that extra option if desired.
    Like everything, it has to be run thru the wringer to see what it really can do.
    Cheer's and thanks for the interest.
    C~W[p]