Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg & Curing the Gasket?

Options
Long time egger (and lurker) but new member to the forum...

I recently moved and 'upgraded' from a large egg to an XL.  When I got my last egg, I remember being told to keep the cook temps in the 350-ish range for the first cook or two.  I've cooked on the new XL a few times last week and Sunday I did burgers.  Since the mix wasn't lean (who wants a lean burger?) the fat drippings ended up kicking up the fire a little higher than intended.  I think I ultimately maxed out at 450F (after holding it at right on 350-365 for 90% of the cook)

I wasn't sure if there was a real *need* to cure the gasket or if 450F wasn't high enough to impact the adhesive.  I assume at worst, I'd have to replace the gasket, but after inspecting it a few times since Sunday I don't see any issues with it at all.  Just wanted to check and see if I'm too deep in the weeds and should just cook away and continue to enjoy the new egg.

And yes...next time I'll post pics :-) 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the glue seems to fail around 900f dome temp, atleast thats been my experience with bge gaskets and the sticky back rutlands
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I've never heard of curing the gasket. I bought both my Eggs used though, so I didn't get any advice.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    crashbc said:
     I'm too deep in the weeds and should just cook away and continue to enjoy the new egg.
    There's your answer!  :)
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard the forum.  Above all, continue to have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I do not believe 450F would have done anything to that gasket.
    I think they are just trying to avoid you going to like 600F to 700F ... and letting things work in nicely.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive had an egg for over twenty years, the first ten they said to cook on it the way you were going to use it. the second ten they came out with this break in period and i believe it was to stop all the phone calls about breaking in a gasket. the ceramic gets hot enough to loosen the gasket with a dome temp of 900f, old broken in gasket or new gasket. its easier to remove a new gasket to install a rutland gasket or just run it without a gasket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I always mention the eggfests that I have participated in.  Each year there are 10 brand new eggs, mostly L and XL.  All of them get cooked on and most see temps over 350°F at some point during the day.  They all go to their forever homes after being cooked on.  I would think if all those gaskets were headed for failure, BGE would tell us not to cook on them over 350°F.

Cook away and enjoy that egg!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Your factory gasket will last for 5+ years if you keep it under 650.  Go above that, and it craps out earlier.  Either way, replacing it with the new ones from Ron (Rutland) is easy and lasts forever going forward.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Your factory gasket will last for 5+ years if you keep it under 650. 
    Hahaha! Mine lasted 2 MONTHS at dome temps 350° or below. Purchased egg in August 2009. Needed gasket replacement by October! Installed Rutland in November 2009. Had to roll it into my house to install due to below 50° outdoor temps. Still performs perfectly, 12 years later!

If I ever buy another egg, the first thing I'll do is rip off the gasket and replace it with Rutland/Permatex UltraCopper. Before my first cook.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I was always told to avoid doing a high sear cook with a new gasket. Low and Slow cooks such as a Pork Butt are good for break in.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    When my Egg was delivered by Ace they never mentioned anything about curing the gasket.    However, my first handful of cooks (from memory) were in the 350-400F range.   Since then though I have done several 'thermal cleans' where I pegged the dome thermometer.     Many years later and I've never had any problem with my gaskets.   Could be the install was stellar, could be I've been lucky.    
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I've never heard of curing the gasket. I bought both my Eggs used though, so I didn't get any advice.
    The folks at BGE provide getting started instructions to new owners.  They do post them so people buying used can access the info.  They include:

Do NOT Cook at High Temperatures Your First Use
    This may damage the gasket before it can properly seat itself. Your first few cooks should be under 350°F/177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG. If you do damage the gasket, you can easily replace it with a self-adhesive high temperature replacement gasket available from any Big Green Egg dealer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.