Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CrossFit. Is it a cult?

Short story, I’ve lost a friend to CrossFit.  It’s been good for him, he’s lost a lot of weight and is getting in shape.  He’s also lost a lot of friends who are tied of hearing about it.  I’m probably the last.  I have listened to the speeches, I’ve tried hanging out and doing the workouts.  It’s more than that, they have their own language, they are ultra cliquey, judgy and I swear sometimes it seems like there is more going on that I probably don’t want to know about.

I’m surprised it’s still a thing after all these years, not a waning fad.  The internet shows this isn’t universally loved, so what’s up with CrossFit, cult or not?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Yes it is.  But, brilliant marketing......$150 a month to lift stuff.  We have a hard enough time trying to find people to pay to lift charcoal bags on a daily basis.  I don't get it.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Yes it is.  But, brilliant marketing......$150 a month to lift stuff.  We have a hard enough time trying to find people to pay to lift charcoal bags on a daily basis.  I don't get it.
    We have an Amazon hub close by.  Many of those employees walk 10 miles a day and lift stuff and get paid well.... but they still can't find enough people.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • I like the concept of CrossFit (essentially, a combination of compound exercises and cardio, often in a group setting), but any attempt to exercise absent control over form raises potential for injury. You can be unsafe with any approach to exercise - even when trying to use strict form, but some of the stuff I’ve seen from cross-fitters is just flat out irresponsible. 

What CrossFit has thrived on is communal, mutually-encouraging self-betterment. It is less individualistic and more about helping one another reach similar goals. In that, it excels, and I believe this is what drives a lot of folks. Having others see you work out from week to week keeps you highly accountable. 

So cult. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I only do 5ks. Its my thing.
  • Pretty sure it’s where people get hooked on ketones.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lit said:
    I heard you do a lot of "bendovers".  Seems to me it's just the guy behind you getting the workout.

Lit said:
    I heard you do a lot of "bendovers".  Seems to me it's just the guy behind you getting the workout.

He always told me thats how runners loosen up. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I did cross fit for 3 years. 3 times a week. I liked it, wasn’t into the cube dieting or part of the elite crowd. Guy owning it really cared about his clients until he started banging em. 

My wife did it longer than me, results speak for themselves. We both got into really good shape, but neither of us stuck with it. 
  • ColbyLang said:
    I did cross fit for 3 years. 3 times a week. I liked it, wasn’t into the cube dieting or part of the elite crowd. Guy owning it really cared about his clients until he started banging em. 

My wife did it longer than me, results speak for themselves. We both got into really good shape, but neither of us stuck with it. 
    Hopefully, this statement is not connected to your previous one about the owner and his clients. 🙃
  • ColbyLang said:

Working some casual sex into the workout regiment is maybe taking it all a little too seriously.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Or not.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2021
    CrossFit is a terrible workout for your body. Ya it will get you ripped if you commit, but I've known 5 people that were in great shape already that did it and had major muscle damage. 3 had to have shoulder surgery (1 marine and 1 former college football player) and 2 had to have knee surgery. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CrossFit is a terrible workout for your body. Ya it will get you ripped if you commit, but I've known 5 people that were in great shape already that did it and had major muscle damage. 3 had to have shoulder surgery and 2 had to have knee surgery.
    Exactly what I was getting at. Just watch the pull-up form, which involves “kipping.” Makes my shoulders hurt just watching. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I normally just spend time running across the savanna swamp in a loincloth, trying to spear nutria.  Way cheaper.
    ColbyLang said:

Working some casual sex into the workout regiment is maybe taking it all a little too seriously.
    Nah, she was too old for him! Late 20’s at the time. He had his pick of the class. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    You mean prick of the class.
  • Ok, I was sure of what I have been seeing, but I didn’t realize this really is creepy all over.  Thank you for the comments.  I really wish 60 minutes or someone would do an expose.
  • I have a friend who is totally committed to it, and has been going seven days a week for many years. He is probably the fittest 70 year old you've ever seen -- totally ripped. But he does tend to talk about it more than most people are comfortable with. Hard to be completely negative about something that obviously works, but I really don't like anything that tends toward the extreme.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • I did Crossfit for over 10 years . It wont get you in shape anymore than any other program if you focus and stick to them . Done improperly some of the movements are higher risk for sure . Overall the risk I think with CF is the volume loads day after day . This varies by gym but most have people doing too much too soon . Injuries happen when you don't self regulate . 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I have a friend who’s wife teaches classes at one of the national chain gyms and he has tons of stories about the cheating that goes on there. Another guy I used to work with lost his wife to someone she met at the gym.  I guess when you get a bunch of fit, sweaty folks together while their spouses work, some of that is inevitable.

I doubt there are similar stories from people that work at michael’s or hobby lobby.  Fitness industry involves a little more vanity than crafts.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:
    I have a friend who’s wife teaches classes at one of the national chain gyms and he has tons of stories about the cheating that goes on there. Another guy I used to work with lost his wife to someone she met at the gym.  I guess when you get a bunch of fit, sweaty folks together while their spouses work, some of that is inevitable.

I doubt there are similar stories from people that work at michael’s or hobby lobby.  Fitness industry involves a little more vanity than crafts.
    There’s also the “either you REALLY love Cross Fit, or you’re just happy to see me” aspect of workout apparel. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Ok, I was sure of what I have been seeing, but I didn’t realize this really is creepy all over.  Thank you for the comments.  I really wish 60 minutes or someone would do an expose.
    What needs to be exposed? I’ve read all the comments here and not sure I understand the need for an expose? Maybe I’m missing something…
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc said:
    Ok, I was sure of what I have been seeing, but I didn’t realize this really is creepy all over.  Thank you for the comments.  I really wish 60 minutes or someone would do an expose.
    What needs to be exposed? I’ve read all the comments here and not sure I understand the need for an expose? Maybe I’m missing something…
    Do you do CrossFit?
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc said:
    Do you do CrossFit?
    I don’t but after 30 pounds of pandemic weight gain joining an exercise cult might not be a bad thing…
    New Orleans LA
  • I think the common experience is that CrossFit will help you lose friends along with the weight, but you’ll make new friends too and maybe sleep with some of them.
  • Dondgc
    I think the common experience is that CrossFit will help you lose friendship along with the weight, but you’ll make new friends too and maybe sleep with some of them.
    😂
    New Orleans LA
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    I think the common experience is that CrossFit will help you lose friends along with the weight, but you’ll make new friends too and maybe sleep with some of them.
    It seems like that could be a net positive outcome for some.
  • CMH88 said:
    I think the common experience is that CrossFit will help you lose friends along with the weight, but you’ll make new friends too and maybe sleep with some of them.
    It seems like that could be a net positive outcome for some.
    I know!!! It has me thinking of becoming a licensed instructor and opening my own box!!!