Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal flavour to meat

Hey,
I have 3 types of the big green egg charcoal. Is there a chart that lists them to meats or things you cook?

thanks
paul

Answers

• Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    I used to have a Traeger, sold it to get my BGE. This is what I was to assemble of the bags and site
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Sheesh - 10 pts for grammar, sorry
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Thebeast said:
    Hey,
    I have 3 types of the big green egg charcoal. Is there a chart that lists them to meats or things you cook?

thanks
    paul
    Charcoal, or smoking wood?

The charcoal can be used with any food interchangeably.  There are no rules.  I would try one at a time and see what you like / dislike about each type.  Please keep track of your results and findings and share them here.  It would be helpful to the rest of us who haven't tried the three types.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Let it run until the smoke smells clean. 

Brand new lump will have an unpleasant sort of petro/chemical until it has either burned it off or enough draft has carried away VOCs (the smell of a freshly opened bag).

fill with more lump than you need. When you shut down after the cook the lump will snuff out. 

The next cook you will not need to wait for the VOCs to be burned or carried off. 

That clean smoke allows you to add whatever smoke wood you want back into the lump. 

Pork gets a lot of hickory. Beef seems to pair well with oak traditionally. 

Local stuff like pecan, mesquite, whatever, can give you more to play with. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    All I can say is that last night for the first time I tasted prime rib with the new BGE Brazilian hardwood. Man oh man ... the smoke was a perfect match ... one of the best meats I've had off the BGE.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!