Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

October 13th; 246th United States Navy Birthday!

Title says it all.  Splice the mainbrace. 
Have a great Navy birthday!
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    My grandpa was a sailor on the USS Pensacola. Injured/survived Iwo Jima attack (If I remember correctly)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    I've been listening to Thunder Below! I get the splice the mainbrace part! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @Elijah - Gene Fluckey was one he!! of a submarine captain.  Talk about taking it to the enemy...  Some incredible exploits await.  Enjoy the listen.  ⚓️  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    And the only proper way to celebrate is to drink till the foam! 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    nice night to fill up grand dads mug. wwII uss lexington, started on the runway, moved into the boiler room first chance he had to get off that deck. not putting fleischmann's whiskey in it though....sorry papa

USS Lexington CVA-16 underway at sea on 16 August 1958jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    (insert joke about Frank being one of the first Naval officers here)

That's great, I had no idea the Navy was so old.  Makes sense, we Europeans and other non-natives couldn't fly here back then.
    I bet they really blow some **** up in 4 years. 250 baby.
  • RyanStl said:
    I bet they really blow some **** up in 4 years. 250 baby.
    It’s too bad they can’t play with the really big toys any more.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Well-there are still 14 of them around with the big boy toys ready to go.  And we are building replacements.  Once the genie is out of the bottle...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    edited October 2021
    posted the right carrier, wrong deck, the hurricane deck in the first pic was altered later (i think that is what they called the new deck)  now why is it now parked in corpus christi, this boat was manned by massholes from newengland. im blaming the kennedys

i can see why they changed the deck, how did they land on that thing

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Cap would refer to this as a 'target'; we referred to it as home. Launched from Westwego, LA, in '72, and sunk for target practice by the Turks in 2001. As far as I know, the only shots fired were in practice, which is the history of most naval ships. Nondescript little sub chaser - "Fast Frigate" FF1091 USS Miller, named after a cook on the USS Arizona. His mother(!) actually christened it.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories