Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC or load up the generator, and, hey folks! Ham

Options
Hey all, its been awhile. (AlbertaEgger here, still did not have any luck with BGE recovering my old account. Pretty sad about that, or "devastated".

I have had to FTC a pork butt for hours before, heat held no problem. I am wondering about a bone in ham. I have 2 options. I have a 2 1/2 hour drive, maybe 4 hours from it being done, travel, to the time we eat. 

I can FTC the ham, or... I can toss the generator in the back of the truck, run an extension cord into the truck, and find a crock pot big enough to hold the ham, keep it on warm. 

Thoughts? 

Hope everyone is doing well. I am sure I have missed some sh*t shows and some great conversations. 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Never done it, but I have kept a 10lb brisket for 6 hours, so unless the ham is tiny, I would think 4 is no problem.  Especially if you preheat your cooler.
    NOLA
  • cantlogin
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Never done it, but I have kept a 10lb brisket for 6 hours, so unless the ham is tiny, I would think 4 is no problem.  Especially if you preheat your cooler.
    12 lb shank ham. Brisket and pork butt at 200ish I was thinking was probably a bit different than a ham at 140. Would this not be leaving the ham in a "danger zone" for hours?
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    cantlogin said:
    buzd504 said:
    12 lb shank ham. Brisket and pork butt at 200ish I was thinking was probably a bit different than a ham at 140. Would this not be leaving the ham in a "danger zone" for hours?
    True.  I was thinking the same thing. 

But, the ham is cured.  I would take the chance.

I would not run a generator.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have a small cooler with an air tight gasket, it should be fine.

If you have a larger cooler, throw a few foil-wrapped bricks in the oven and heat them up to 200-300F, wrap them in towels to slow down the heat and protect your cooler.  Line the bottom with the bricks, throw your ham in there and it's like having a heater than runs for hours.

Welcome back!
    If you have a small cooler with an air tight gasket, it should be fine.

If you have a larger cooler, throw a few foil-wrapped bricks in the oven and heat them up to 200-300F, wrap them in towels to slow down the heat and protect your cooler.  Line the bottom with the bricks, throw your ham in there and it's like having a heater than runs for hours.

Welcome back!
    The bricks are an excellent idea, thanks nola, I would rather go with a cooler than risk the generator quitting or something stupid on the way up North.   
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Would it be an option to smoke it ahead of time, refrigerate it, then reheat it at your destination? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...plus not a great idea to run a generator in a moving vehicle given all the things that can go wrong and the lubrication system in most generators is not designed for all the sloshing and forces in a vehicle.