Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Point Suggestions

Took a flyer on a cheap (for New England) whole brisket point when I was in the market the other day. Weighs about 5lbs and has great fat throughout. I’m pretty much sold on turning this thing into burnt ends, but I’m looking for a little advice. I’ve never cooked just a point. It’s shaped almost exactly like a packer. My gut tells me to treat it like a whole brisket because it has the fat to keep it moist while cooking to 185+ IT. Am I barking up the right tree here? 

I was also thinking about cooking it like a roast. Roll it, tie it and go low and slow till 195-200 IT or so. Thought it might come out similar in finish to a ribeye cap. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    With all the fat in the Point. You can cook it past probe tender to render more fat. At least to 200. Then pull and rest before cutting into pieces for burnt ends. Lots of past info on burnt end recipes,
    Nice find! 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Dayum, that's a huge point! IMHO . . . personally I like Jack Stacks BBQ Sauce on BE
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    You will hit the sweet spot (probes like butter) in the low 200's*F but as above with the heavier load of fat you can easily let it run to 205-208*F to get more rendering.
    I am against sacrificing this (any point) to burnt ends, but if that's your decision I would slice off (against the grain) a piece of the point and enjoy before any final decision.  You may change your mind.  B)  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    in new england you make potroast =) i would do as lousubcap says.  ive only made pastrami with store bought corned beef points but those are only a dollar a pound around pats day
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    @lousubcap I think you hit the nail in the head. I’m gonna let it cruise and slice just like a packer. 

@fishlessman That’s what chuck is for! I absolutely love pot roast, but I’d never sacrifice this to make one!