Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the correct spice

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
I am grilling lamb chops - the reciep calls for "Herbs of the Province" - - Would Dizzy Pig's "Mediterranean-ish be an acceptiable substition?
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Mediterranean-ish will be better with lamb.  if you can find za'atar seasoning i would use that, lamb needs a stronger seasoning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Definitely not the same but if it as all you have then I would say it is probably fine.  I agree with fishlessman. Za’atar is probably a better substitution.

Options
    Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express is excellent on lamb chops.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I've used this recipe quite a few times for lamb chops, just mix in a food processor, it makes a paste. We normally have all these ingredients at the house.

2 large garlic cloves, crushed

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Pinch cayenne pepper

Coarse sea salt

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

I have just used dry leaves and dialed back the amount a little.

LBGE
    AL
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    Thanks for the comments

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I really like the DP Mediterranean on lamb. You might need to add a little salt with it.
    I have used Red Eye and it is good as well but a little to much sugar for my taste.
    This is also excellent.

If you want to fresh it up a little, mix your spice with a some finely minced garlic and enough EVOO to make a paste. Apply to chops and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I really like the DP Mediterranean on lamb. You might need to add a little salt with it.
    I have used Red Eye and it is good as well but a little to much sugar for my taste.
    This is also excellent.

I get this in 5 pound tubs =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

I get this in 5 pound tubs =)
    5 pounds at a time…Yea!
    It’s a great all around spice. I love it on scrambled eggs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

If you want to fresh it up a little, mix your spice with a some finely minced garlic and enough EVOO to make a paste. Apply to chops and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours. 

Also good on fish!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

Also good on fish!
    So agree. I use it like blackening seasoning on fish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    If you want to stick to your recipe though, subbing zatar or Mediterranean herbs and spices is not going to work. 

herbs de provence are usually a mix of thyme, some rosemary, oregano, and especially lavender. Marjoram and savory are typical too. 

But there is no standard ratio, and people usually make their own mix. 

It’s usually dried. 

There are no spices in it. Just herbs. 

See 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Herbs de provance are a generic representation of what you might find in Southern France.  Nothing special there except there's usually lilac.

Lamb is eaten everywhere there are lambs which is everywhere.  No wrong way to do it and therefore there's no one "correct" way either.
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Lavender. Not lilac. 

Anyway, it’s incorrect if the guy asks for a substitution of Herbs de Provence and someone suggests a completely different thing. 

I mean, a ‘substitution’ in a recipe is generally supposed to be close to the original. 

You can substitute sugar for salt if you really want to. But it isn’t really a “substitution”

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Lavender, right.  My bad.

Otherwise, it's typically savory, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano.

Options
    I think I get confused because lilac is very E6E6FA
    Options
    I’m probably the odd man out here, but I like sage on lamb. But then again I like sage on just about everything. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

Do you recall what spice you used @ the 2011 Athens Eggfest?
    Those were PDG!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

Those were PDG!  =)
    If you want to see magic happen, give @Photoegg a shaker of Cavender's, a rack of lamb, and a grill. Best d@mn lamb lollipops I've had.

He's made these at a number of eggfests, and I made sure I stayed close to his tent whenever they were on the menu =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Photo Egg said:
    This is also excellent.

Those were PDG!  =)
    Thanks, I’m sure mine are never traditional. I have made them with so many different rubs and spices over the years. I like them all. EVOO, garlic and fresh herbs to just salt and pepper.
    Back to your original question…Was I drinking Rum. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Cavender's Greek Seasoning is good stuff....we usually always have some on hand but haven't for a while.   It's the Greek version of our Tony Chachere's.  Not sure it's an "Ancient Greek Formula" (given it's use of corn starch and MSG) but it's a great way to get a different flavor without digging through the spice rack.