Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FB500 Fan keeps failing…

Options
Greetings friends,

ssia. FB customer service has been good and been replacing. It’s just a REAL bummer for such a well regarded unit, and a bummer to wake up to cold meat. 

Hope you’re all rockin’…
8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    What kind of issues ? They replaced my first on, no questions asked and for the life of me, o d ont remember what was wrong with it 

Other than probes, zero issues since, and the probes are my abuse issues

I d I keep spare probes and fan just fir back up
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hey Damien, good to hear from ya brother.

Hope all is well.

I haven't had any direct experience with that particular fan, but in general they fail when the bushings dry up and the friction causes excessive current and heat until the motor windings short.  If you can get a little oil on the bushing without dousing the whole thing, that can go a long ways for longevity.  If the squirrel cage doesn't pop off, drill a very small hole in it to get the oil in there.  If you have an old burned out fan, you can dissect it and learn how to lube it.

If it still turns freely when it burns out, that's not the problem.
    Options
    If you think the fan build is the problem, maybe a different brand will work better?

I use a BBQ Guru Pit Bull fan with my FB200. Yes, I know its too much fan for a BGE, but I had bought it on sale 5 years ago, with plans to run my drum smokers, etc. with it. 

The fan internals are probably very similar/same across the board. Just a thought.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    The fan mechanism will wobble and intermittently spin, but it doesn’t have any velocity to it. When I had the brain unit replaced before, I sent them the fan along with it. No idea what was done - the unit also had a broken “down arrow” button. This was at the end of March, 2021. 

They’re sending me a new fan. We’ll see if that fixes my problem or if it’s an issue with the controller unit. 

Regardless - I feel like I’m having some bad luck with this. I take REALLY good care of my FB. Wipe everything down with this Clorox wipes, etc. bummer. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Maybe it's the cord or a power issue and not the fan motor itself????  Sold a ton of these and never heard of a fan going out, they're pretty simple and don't have many problems.  Probes are usually the weak point.  Had a few of the controllers lock up after a firmware update, but that's usually something that can be reset then they can remote into from FB.  Sorry for the trouble!  Definitely not the norm.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Maybe it's the cord or a power issue and not the fan motor itself????  Sold a ton of these and never heard of a fan going out, they're pretty simple and don't have many problems.  Probes are usually the weak point.  Had a few of the controllers lock up after a firmware update, but that's usually something that can be reset then they can remote into from FB.  Sorry for the trouble!  Definitely not the norm.

My guess was something power related to the fan. 
    I’ll try the replacement fan (and nola’s oiling idea). 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I was gifted a fan housing from a member here on the forum. I purchased a squirrel fan for under $10 online and put one together. Easy job with some very, very  minor soldering. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Its a good idea to relieve the tension at the point where the wiring exits the fan housing. I put a dab of silicone caulk at that spot, and keep the cord wrapped one turn around the fan housing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Testing the fan: Since they are 12V DC, hook up to a 12 volt DC power source like a battery.  If they don't run full blast, there's a problem with it.