Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 lb boneless pork shoulder

danhoo
danhoo Posts: 682
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
I just realized that the shoulder I've had in the freezer is boneless.

I'm trying to decide if I should cut it in half,  cook half and refreeze half or cook it all and freeze meal sized portions. It will be pulled and then frozen. 

I'm thinking it will be a pain to cut and refreeze half. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    edited September 2021
    I'm sure the decision has already been made for you. I bet you have two seven-pound butts. To answer the question, pulled pork vac-seals very well and is very versatile. Always good to have one-pound or so packages on hand.
    Stillwater, MN
  • danhoo
    Is it a two pack? 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • danhoo

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Probably 2 butts, boneless is fine, and more surface area for rub, lay it out or tie it up,....i do them and they come out fine....i buy boneless when making sausage or salami 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    One definitely has to wonder if it is 2 butts.   Costco sells them like that - but they are clearly labeled - and they typically run 14-18 pounds for 2.  Either way your two options are both "wins".

And I cook boneless most of the time just because the Costco boneless 2 pack is cheaper than anything else I can find and I can't tell a difference in taste between those with bone and those without.

With that said, if it was a really large pig and it is a 14 pound shoulder/butt, you can cut it or not.  As was stated above, if you cut it you get more rub/bark.  If you don't, it takes longer to cook but you get more juicy inside meat.  Winner/winner.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited September 2021
    What you need to do with one of them, at least, is slice and make pork steaks.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • 2-fer, you can't lose! I've done boneless for pulled pork and it's fine.  It's the most forgiving cook out there.

I was going to say you can do char sui with one if you wanted something different.  It seemed to be a trend here a month ago? I've wanted to get going on it but I'm sooo lazzzy.

https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-bbq-pork-cha-siu/
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • danhoo
    Char Sui looks tasty. Maybe next time... 
  • danhoo
    I'm sure the decision has already been made for you. I bet you have two seven-pound butts. To answer the question, pulled pork vac-seals very well and is very versatile. Always good to have one-pound or so packages on hand.
    Your bet was correct. It was two butts.

Thanks
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

I've tried to do this and they come out quite dry even with frequent basting.  I cook to about 170.  Any tips?
    NOLA
  • I'd also cut in half, cook two 7 lbs. 7 lbs is a good size to make pulled pork. It gives you a chance to save the other one for some other time, and perhaps some other recipe ... although pulled pork is a good go to!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    buzd504 said:

I've tried to do this and they come out quite dry even with frequent basting.  I cook to about 170.  Any tips?

its cut from the pork butt, it needs to mellow out til the internal temp is up around 185, tender but not yet pullable
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited September 2021
    @buzd504 These I do indirect at 275F and actually wrap them at about 170F and cook them on up to the 190s.  When they get up in that range I start probing for tenderness.  These turned out so well i wondered why bother with an entire butt (I did come to my senses later).  I have cooked them raised direct many times, but find indirect turns out a more consistent result.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • danhoo
    edited September 2021
    Cooked half overnight. Went on at 8.30pm. 225F grate. About 270 dome temp.

Woke up at 5am. Temp was 160. wrapped it in foil and went back to bed. 8. 30am temp tested with the instapen classic and it was 205F. It's in a cooler chest wrapped in towels ready for half time sammies. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    2-fer, you can't lose! I've done boneless for pulled pork and it's fine.  It's the most forgiving cook out there.

I was going to say you can do char sui with one if you wanted something different.  It seemed to be a trend here a month ago? I've wanted to get going on it but I'm sooo lazzzy.

https://thewoksoflife.com/chinese-bbq-pork-cha-siu/
    I've been using this recipe for the marinade, not the process
    http://chubbyhubby.net/recipes/perfect-char-siu-barbecued-pork-using-sous-vide/

Your recipe looks good, I may give it a try.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    buzd504 said:

its cut from the pork butt, it needs to mellow out til the internal temp is up around 185, tender but not yet pullable
    Totally agree.

canuckland
  • danhoo