Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long should egg take to go out

Hi guys,

I have had my egg about a month and I seem to have issues with getting the fire to go out. Last night I shut everything off and this morning I found it was still 70 degrees. I took off the lid to clean it and I saw the fire catching again. My assumption is this is not normal. I paid for big green egg to put it together so I didn’t build it!! Any suggestions/advice other than speaking to them.

Answers

• The thermometer reading 70 degrees would be normal depending on your outside temps. because of retained heat. BUT if you still have coals going after say 12hours of everything being shut down and closed up then I'd say you have a leak in the gasket somewhere.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Oh sorry, I’m from the UK. So would be 158F. Yeh it’s still plodding along burning away! I’m thinking maybe raise with them.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Give it the £ test around the dome/base gasket seating surface.  Put a £ note on the base, shut the dome and pull the note out.  Should get resistance indicating a good seal.  Do this at several points as what you are experiencing means there is an air leak somewhere.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Also, did you put the ceramic cap on it?  Close the new rEGGulator, or daisy wheel?  What about the bottom vent?  Does it close all the way?

It is probably the gasket, but those other two places are sources of air, also.

It has to be getting oxygen from somewhere.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Yup all closed. Ya thats what I think there is an air leak too. Just to find in. I’ll do the money test if it goes out later! s
  • I’ve had Weber’s for years. Never had anything like this.
  • lousubcap said:
    Put a £ note on the base, shut the dome and pull the note out.
    Somebody hasn't been across the pond for quite a while. Pound notes were replaced by coins a LONG time ago!  ;)

But a fiver would work as well.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I meant some sort of dollar bill equivalent.  I did get the symbol right for extra credit.  =)  Last time across the pond was 2018 and wrestled with € and £ depending on the British Isles and country.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I’ve a 10 dollar note. I’ll give it a go later :)
  • So, I popped some chunks in it and shut it down. Smoke comes out the regulator and also the bottom vent, but mostly the top. I don’t see it coming from the egg anywhere! 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    On my replacement base, smoke was leaking out the bottom vent. I gently bent the stationary part to snug it up. It was really loose. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Thebeast said:
    I’ve a 10 dollar note. I’ll give it a go later :)
    I thought you were supposed to use a twenty on a large 😉
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Use your ceramic top for shutting down. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Use your ceramic top for shutting down. 

I agree.  Not sure they even ship with the ceramic cap any more... Do they?

• Nope not anymore 
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    The rEGGulator does not shut it down as well as the ceramic cap.  Might need to put some gasket material around the top of the chimney.
  • FWIW, it's still possible to buy one of the old ceramic caps (I buy a new one every time I drop one) and I do believe it's the best solution. I also wrap a thin gasket around the egg top to make the cap a tighter fit. I've probably saved several dollars worth of lump over time by doing that.  :)
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    The problem is that if you have a rEGGulator, you can't get that thing off after a cook.  It is hot and doesn't lift off easy.  So, the ceramic cap doesn't really work easily.

If your rEGGulator is leaking, you might want to take a photo for your dealer.  Maybe they will replace it.  I have them on both of my eggs and have no smoke when they are shut.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91 said:
    The problem is that if you have a rEGGulator, you can't get that thing off after a cook.  It is hot and doesn't lift off easy.  So, the ceramic cap doesn't really work easily.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll just channel Emily Litella with "Never mind!"
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2021
    Langner91 said:

If your rEGGulator is leaking, you might want to take a photo for your dealer.  Maybe they will replace it.  I have them on both of my eggs and have no smoke when they are shut.
    This is why I like the daisy wheel.  That was a design that didn't need fixing.

I second, third, etc. using the ceramic cap to put out cook.  Daisy wheel comes off and goes in the egg, then ceramic cap goes on top.  I also use a gasket up top for nice fit.
  • Bar
    Yep……rEGGulator…….one step forward, two steps back.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There's something we call the "smoke test" when we're testing ventilation ducting at our labs.  We hit the intake with a smoke bomb and look for visual leaks.  With an egg you can throw some grass, sawdust or sticks into the fire.  Any leaks will be obvious.  You will always have some leaking, that's normal.  Anyway, focus on what's leaking the most.  You need two areas that are leaking to keep the fire lit.  With no leaks it will still extinguish with the top or bottom vents open (not both).

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll just channel Emily Litella with "Never mind!"
    We need more violins on TV...
    After living on both coasts, I've made my way back to the mid-west, Illinois to be exact.  
  • Bar said:
    Agreed.  When I sold my large for a cross-country move, I bought a reggulator just to sell it with the egg so I could keep the daisy wheel and cap for the new egg to be bought upon arrival.
  • Bar
    Bar said:
    Agreed.  When I sold my large for a cross-country move, I bought a reggulator just to sell it with the egg so I could keep the daisy wheel and cap for the new egg to be bought upon arrival.
    Good move.  I don’t think you can buy a daisy wheel anymore.