Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp V, Oct 20th in New Orleans

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    lousubcap said:
    A good read for sure, Frank.  I fear the con is very much baked in at this point and all of the reversals are too little, too late.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    but its my right to trust a man made virus from a chinese lab over a manmade vaccine.....i mean, whats in the vaccine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited August 2021
    Tyson Foods has mandated vaccines for their employees by Oct 1, Nov 1 for union members subject to ongoing discussions...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    A friend of mine who works in Marketing had an interesting idea to get more needles in arms: What if the federal government announces that, after 30 September, vaccine shots will no longer be free, but will cost $750 each?

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Botch said:
    A friend of mine who works in Marketing had an interesting idea to get more needles in arms: What if the federal government announces that, after 30 September, vaccine shots will no longer be free, but will cost $750 each?

it would work for the 1-2% of people that are on the fence still. But the people whose minds are made up it won't do anything.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    lkapigian said:
    Botch said:

it would work for the 1-2% of people that are on the fence still. But the people whose minds are made up it won't do anything.
    would never work on an Armenian,if it is free, we take it whether we need it our not.............That's why we have big noses, air is free 
    LOL
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Botch said:

the foil hat wearers would scoff at this. Ain’t getting it anyway. I told my in-laws they aren’t allowed at my house without it months ago. Sucks for my kids, but FaceTime it is. Father in law got round 1 on Monday. Mother in law (who works in the public school system) is being stubborn. Told her if I was the principal, I’d fire anyone without a vax on Day 1 of school
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    only thing that will work is if everyplace mandates a covid vaccine card, there will be some but not many that hold out.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    only thing that will work is if everyplace mandates a covid vaccine card, there will be some but not many that hold out.
    Politics is more important to too many people. We’ve kneecapped feds ability to do anything because ‘tyranny’

sofuckingstupid
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Someone on a talk show this last Sunday morning mentioned this, and compared it to the "No Smoking" campaign four decades back.  They banned smoking in workplaces, then smoking sections in restaurants/public transit, then outright bans in those places, and finally even in many nightclubs.  Took a long time, but eventually most folk were on the same page (with "some" that will hold out as you mentioned).    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Lol, it was fifth when I saw that yesterday.
    NOLA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Serious question. Even if 100% of the US gets vaccinated the rest of the world never will. Won’t it continue to mutate? 
  • Legume
    Lit said:
    Serious question. Even if 100% of the US gets vaccinated the rest of the world never will. Won’t it continue to mutate? 
    Yes, but slower rate.  More virus=more mutations.

Rest of world will eventually get vaccinated, more than now. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Legume said:
    Lit said:

Agree but it is going to be a long time. A buddy was in Mexico a month or 2 ago and he said they had just started getting the vaccine there and they are way ahead of many places especially in a tourist area. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:
    Lit said:

My expectation is that the vaccination is going to becone an annual thing here, much like what we have right now for the flu.  
  • Legume
    If people would stop going to Mexico on vacation, stip going places where they are more likely to be exposed, get vaccinated when you can, etc., then this solves more quickly @Lit

There is no light switch to turn this off, you just do everything you can to chip away.  All the little things and all the big things.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    All you smarty pants nerds, serious question, What makes this corona virus so much more deadly and transmissible than the others out there? Not trolling serious question.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    All you smarty pants nerds, serious question, What makes this corona virus so much more deadly and transmissible than the others out there? Not trolling serious question.

It's just happens that's the way Mother Nature constructed it. When you look at the gazillion possible combos of "stuff" that makes up these things I'm actually quite surprised there aren't more things floating around that are trying to kill us.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    lousubcap said:

Insightful and thought provoking read, thanks for sharing.
    My grandfather knew his way around a pool table and all that comes with it.  Forever grateful he taught me the game.  A few words of wisdom he passed along during one session stuck, some may apply here:
    - you can't cheat an honest man
    - never give a sucker an even break
    - never smarten up a chump
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Good question @TEXASBGE2018.  We don't really know WHAT makes the delta variant that way.  It just is.  

The R0 (R naught) of a transmissable disease is the number of OTHER people each infected person infects - in baseline conditions (Nobody is vaccinated, nobody wears masks, nobody distances, etc - life as usual).  The R0 of the original strain is somewhere between 2 and 3.  The R0 of the delta variant is estimated to be 8.  It's hard to compare it's lethality because - at least here - most of the high risk people are vaccinated.  But it is killing a lot of young, previously healthy, but unvaccinated, people.  We had to shut down elective surgeries that require admission yesterday because our hospitals are so full.  As of this morning we had 52 patients in the ER who had admission orders written but couldn't get a bed.  As of this afternoon it is up to 60.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I would offer something that could torpedo this thread but will refrain.  This is way beyond WDIB (who's richard is bigger).  So get the shot(s) and just do the right thing for yourself and your neighbors.  The way out of this is pretty straight forward.  Do your part.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume said:
    If people would stop going to Mexico on vacation, stip going places where they are more likely to be exposed, get vaccinated when you can, etc., then this solves more quickly @Lit

There is no light switch to turn this off, you just do everything you can to chip away.  All the little things and all the big things.

Secure our southern border?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited August 2021
    Legume said:

I go to Mexico a few times a year, there is far more mask wearing , temp checking, hand sanitizing , social distancing than here ...at least were i go 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Disagree? Border patrol intercepted 200,000 illegal immigrants in July. Not counting the ones that slipped by. I’m sure they were all wearing masks and vaccinated.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Well my flights to New Orleans are booked for the October weekend.  I’ll be there regardless of what friggin variant we’re on at that point.  F it!  

Hope to see some of you miscreants and malcontents down there too.  
  • Legume
    Legume said:

Secure our southern border?
    Not where I was going with this.  Comment I was responding to mentioned places like Mexico not getting vaccines.  I probably should’ve just said stop flying around like there is no virus anymore.  Hawaii is flooded with people from all over, then they get back in their aluminum tubes and fly back to all over.  I had to fly this week.  Had to.  Didn’t want to.  60 min flight and a couple of hours of too much people contact on either end.  We need to act like there is a pandemic and we could die.  Imagine if the delta variant was more lethal to people that have been vaccinated?  That could be the next one.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited August 2021
    Disagree? Border patrol intercepted 200,000 illegal immigrants in July. Not counting the ones that slipped by. I’m sure they were all wearing masks and vaccinated.
    I dont disagree with that , but the broad brush " people that travel to Mexico " I test beforeI go, before I come back ...and I can assure you, in those areas they are cautious ..
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    lkapigian said:
    Disagree? Border patrol intercepted 200,000 illegal immigrants in July. Not counting the ones that slipped by. I’m sure they were all wearing masks and vaccinated.
    I dont disagree with that , but the broad brush " people that travel to Mexico " I test beforeI go, before I come back ...and I can assure you, in those areas they are cautious ..

I'm more concerned about real 'Muricans from certain states crossing their state borders and venturing into mine. Stay home gringos!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk