Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speedy Brisket

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I found prime packers at Costco this week so I picked up a small one for my Bride and I. I’m guessing once it was trimmed up it was about 10#. It went on the LBGE this morning at 7:30, set at about 300*. The internal temp was at 160* in just under 4 hours. I wrapped it in foil and put it back on for a couple hours and it’s up over 210* in the flat and the point. I wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cooler. I’ll let it set about 4 hours and keep my fingers crossed. I’ve never had one go that quick before. 
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    As you well know "the friggin cow drives the cook" especially rolling at 300*F and using foil.  Any wrap will accelerate things and foil is the number one accelerator absent any temperature change.  As long as  you let it rest uncovered for around 20-30 minutes to stop the carry-over cooking before tossing in the cooler you should be fine.  But if dry then chop it for brisket sandwiches and other uses.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I know how you feel. I have had them done in 9 hours, and have had them done in 19 hours. @lousubcap is absolutely the source for the sage, wise advice. Letting it set prior to cooler is the best. I will add if too dry, Brisket chili is awesome way to utilize left over, or dried meat. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    lousubcap said:
    As you well know "the friggin cow drives the cook" especially rolling at 300*F and using foil.  Any wrap will accelerate things and foil is the number one accelerator absent any temperature change.  As long as  you let it rest uncovered for around 20-30 minutes to stop the carry-over cooking before tossing in the cooler you should be fine.  But if dry then chop it for brisket sandwiches and other uses.  FWIW-
    An often underestimated use for Brisket! I'd rather have it on a sandwich, slider or taco ( the shell type of taco, tortilla shell.....sourdough at that ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Teefus
    After two hours in the cooler the suspense was killing me. I pulled it out a took a slice of flat. It was very moist and the pull was perfect. It’s very tender and tastes great. We had brisket at Mission BBQ this past weekend and this is much better. I put it in a covered dish with the drippings from the foil and a little beef broth, and then in a 160* oven until dinner time. This will be the third time I gave a brisket the towel and cooler treatment for at least a couple hours and they’ve all turned out great. 
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    Teefus said:
    After two hours in the cooler the suspense was killing me. I pulled it out a took a slice of flat. It was very moist and the pull was perfect. It’s very tender and tastes great. We had brisket at Mission BBQ this past weekend and this is much better. I put it in a covered dish with the drippings from the foil and a little beef broth, and then in a 160* oven until dinner time. This will be the third time I gave a brisket the towel and cooler treatment for at least a couple hours and they’ve all turned out great. 
    Glad you had a good result.  Just a thought.  Next time skip the FTC and hold the wrapped brisket in your oven at 160 the whole time.  Will save you cleaning your cooler and washing a towel.  My oven doesn't go down to 160, but I have held it wrapped in butcher paper at 170 for up to 4 hours before with great results.  A long rest seems to be good whether it is FTC or oven.
  • Teefus
    And dinner was excellent. Even bride of Teefus, an avowed brisket apathetic, commented on how tasty it was. We paired with Brussels sprouts, halved then browned in a little bacon fat then braised with bacon jam. Yumm!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    That's fast, but that's also why I don't go over 275F on a quick brisket cook. I'm hesitant to go 4 hr FTC ... too much juice comes out and I find brisket is dry. I'm going to try 2 hr FTC next time ...

How juicy was yours Teefus?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    I did a brisket last weekend Aaron Franklin style on the BGE...salt and pepper, post oak, 275 (flame boss clip was next to meat at 275, dome temp stayed at about 310), wrapped in butcher paper at the end of the stall, finished at 203, rested for at least an hour (we were hungry and let rest an hour, internal temp was still at 195, wrapped in paper). Put on at 9am and ate about 7:30. It turned out incredible!!
  • Teefus
    @Mark_B_Good : It was juicy. Dome temp was 300* but at the grate is was lower. I try to keep it a bit lower normally but this time it was choked down as far as I dared.